Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

white_ipod_touch_apple_retail_store.jpg

In line with the announced October 12th launch date for iOS 5, Apple has also transitioned its iPod touch line to begin shipping with the operating system pre-installed. The most visible change to the iPod touch lineup, however, is the addition of white models, and iLounge reports that the white iPod touch is now on display and available for sale in Apple's retail stores.

white_black_ipod_touch_apple_retail_store.jpg

Apple's online store is also listing all six models of the iPod touch as "In Stock", indicating that they will be available to ship within 24 hours of ordering.

Article Link: White iPod Touch Now Available in Apple Retail Stores

Last edited:

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
The white actually looks good! :) Took about a week to get them into the stores, not bad at all. Perfect for early holiday shoppers :p haha

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Those are really neat. If I had a need for an iPod touch, I'm thinking I'd pick the white one.

TC400

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
I'm kind of glad the new touch didn't get any major updates aside from a color change and price drop.
So I guess that makes my "4th" gen iPod touch still current :)

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
I don't suppose there's any chance that Siri will come to the iPod Touch after the beta stage...

Since Siri needs an A5 chip I'd say no, since the iPod Touch models still have an A4 chip. But stranger things have happened... :) (but I'm doubtful) :p

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
The white actually looks good! :) Took about a week to get them into the stores, not bad at all. Perfect for early holiday shoppers :p haha

I think I know why the white iPod Touch looks so much better than the white iPhone. Less black spots. The iPhone has the proximity sensor and the speaker, which makes the thing look rather blemished. I would buy this if I was in the market for one.

jabingla2810

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
Very nice!

Wish they would make the sleep/wake and volume buttons white too.... for uniformity.

It's what put me off a white iPad 2.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
I'm kind of glad the new touch didn't get any major updates aside from a color change and price drop.
So I guess that makes my "4th" gen iPod touch still current :)

This is the major upside for me as well. I can always paint mine with white out. :D

ghall

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2006
Rhode Island
I don't suppose there's any chance that Siri will come to the iPod Touch after the beta stage...

If these iPods have Siri I would be expecting it to be added to the 4th gen models because they have the same insides as far as I've heard. Very unlikely it will be on either though since the iOS 5 GM doesn't have it. Would be nice though.

Also, am I the only person who thinks the white is ugly?

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
What a lame update for the touch. They should of made the price drop more substantial if they weren't going to do anything to it.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
I was really hoping for A5 chip, not cause I needed it, but only because my son has an iPod Touch 4th Gen and an AppleTV. Now that Firemint (and other devs hopefully) are rolling out the whole AirPlay thing with games, it would have been nice for him to use it like a console gaming device on the bigger TV.

Any chance AirPlay Mirroring will work in iPod Touch without A5??

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
I was really hoping for A5 chip, not cause I needed it, but only because my son has an iPod Touch 4th Gen and an AppleTV. Now that Firemint (and other devs hopefully) are rolling out the whole AirPlay thing with games, it would have been nice for him to use it like a console gaming device on the bigger TV.

Any chance AirPlay Mirroring will work in iPod Touch??

airplay mirroring will not work with iPhone 4 + iOS 5?

besweeeet

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

LimeiBook86 said:

Since Siri needs an A5 chip I'd say no, since the iPod Touch models still have an A4 chip. But stranger things have happened... :) (but I'm doubtful) :p

Siri WILL come to all other iOS 5 devices once we can get our hands on the 4S's IPSW later today.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007
airplay mirroring will not work with iPhone 4 + iOS 5?

I know it doesn't work on IP4, but was hoping since the iPod is supposed to be a gaming device they somehow turned it on since they didn't update it this year.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.