Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

earnings_player_q42011_20111018.png

Apple issued a press release today stating that it will announce its earnings for the fourth fiscal quarter of 2011 (third calendar quarter) and host a conference call regarding the release on Tuesday, October 18th.

The conference call at 5:00 PM Eastern / 2:00 PM Pacific will follow the earnings release itself which typically comes around 4:30 PM Eastern.

Apple last quarter announced record-breaking results in a number of areas, including $7.31 billion in profit on revenue of $28.57 billion. For the fourth fiscal quarter, Apple has issued guidance of $25 billion in revenue with profits of $5.50 per share.

Article Link: Apple Sets Q4 2011 Earnings Release For October 18th

RazorSharp69

macrumors newbie
Sep 25, 2011
Aussie
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Well done Apple ! Can I please have a little percentage of the profit.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is the 4s in that report? I'm not sure how all the works.

No. Apple's year-end is in September (it changes a little each year since it's based on the last Friday of the week vs. a standard date like September 30). Apple might put out a press release with some preliminary information about the iPhone 4S, and might talk about it a little, but it won't be included in their earnings for the quarter.

Unfortunately, one question that won't be asked this time is Steve Jobs' health. :-(

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple last quarter announced record-breaking results in a number of areas, including $7.31 billion in profit on revenue of $28.57 billion. For the fourth fiscal quarter, Apple has issued guidance of $25 billion in revenue with profits of $5.50 per share.

Article Link: Apple Sets Q4 2011 Earnings Release For October 18th

Unless I'm reading this wrong (I got a C in Economics 101), that's a 25.5% profit margin.:eek:

Not too bad. It speaks of an incredible mark-up over cost for Apple's products. Is that the "Apple Tax"? :confused: :rolleyes:

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Is the 4s in that report? I'm not sure how all the works.

I'm sure they'll have something to say about the 4S launch.

A million pre-orders in the first day... millions more sold in the first days available in stores... lines around the block... etc.

But that will be in the opening dialog... not the report.

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Let me guess, records all-over the place..

RobertMartens

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2002
Tokyo, Japan
How is Apple doing against Exxon these days? And when will Apple be announcing the iCar? (Which by the way won't be refueling at Exxon stations.)

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
Unless I'm reading this wrong (I got a C in Economics 101), that's a 25.5% profit margin.:eek:

Not too bad. It speaks of an incredible mark-up over cost for Apple's products. Is that the "Apple Tax"? :confused: :rolleyes:
You might be able to argue that if the majority of their revenue and profits came from Macs. But it's actually primarily from iPhones and iPads. It's harder to argue about an Apple Tax when those two items aren't priced any higher than the competition. It hints more that they are highly efficient in managing their inventory and production, and are capable of negotiating better component prices. The vertical integration (hardware AND software) helps a lot too.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
You might be able to argue that if the majority of their revenue and profits came from Macs. But it's actually primarily from iPhones and iPads. It's harder to argue about an Apple Tax when those two items aren't priced any higher than the competition. It hints more that they are highly efficient in managing their inventory and production, and are capable of negotiating better component prices. The vertical integration (hardware AND software) helps a lot too.

Makes sense.

Your point about efficient handling of inventory and production certainly accounts for some portion of the savings leading to a high profit margin.

However, your point about negotiating low component prices still suggests that they make the phone cheaply, and mark up significantly.

Anyway, thanks for the cogent response. :D

KingCrimson

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2011
Makes sense.

Your point about efficient handling of inventory and production certainly accounts for some portion of the savings leading to a high profit margin.

However, your point about negotiating low component prices still suggests that they make the phone cheaply, and mark up significantly.

Anyway, thanks for the cogent response. :D

Somehow Apple is able to build an iPhone for $100 less then Samsung can build their Galaxy S2 from virtually the same components. Why - because they buy in bulk by the billions UP FRONT for CASH.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
No. Apple's year-end is in September (it changes a little each year since it's based on the last Friday of the week vs. a standard date like September 30). Apple might put out a press release with some preliminary information about the iPhone 4S, and might talk about it a little, but it won't be included in their earnings for the quarter.

Unfortunately, one question that won't be asked this time is Steve Jobs' health. :-(

I am glad it is not the second Friday of the week. That might put a bit of a delay on it.

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
LOL, when I saw the article's graphic, I thought Apple had a new chip out called the "Q4"... (Maybe it's a Quad Version of the A4?!?)

earnings_player_q42011_20111018.png

I'm weird that way... Chips excite me more than spreadsheets...

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Hmm, Google just reported their result for the quarter. Per Forbes:

Non-GAAP operating margin was 37%, flat with Q2, and down from 40% a year ago.

:eek:

Funny thing is, no one ever talks about the "Google Tax." :rolleyes:

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Expect new products the next day.

Agreed. Macbook Pros and Mac Pros?

I also don't think Apple regularly releases new products in the months of November and December so October is the month for the final hurrah.

rman726

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2007
You have to figure that he will talk about the 4S sales and give some prelim numbers. Why? Because the numbers are going to be better than any phone in history. They won't be able to stop from touting about how successful their "disappointing" phone is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.