Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Much has been made of the apparently tense relationship between Apple and Facebook, sparked in large part by the spat over Facebook integration in Apple's Ping social networking service last year. According to one report, the companies have also faced over such topics as Apple's desire for systemwide Facebook integration in iOS 4 and Facebook's plans for tablet platforms.

zuckerberg_sandberg_charlie_rose.jpg

But in a new interview with Charlie Rose set to air on PBS tonight, Facebook founder Mark Zuckerberg reveals (transcript from AllThingsD) how he was mentored by Steve Jobs, who advised Zuckerberg about building high-quality teams and maintaining a sharp focus on Facebook's products.
Mark Zuckerberg: Oh, I don't know. I mean, he -- he's amazing. He was amazing. I mean, he -- I had a lot of questions for him on -

Charlie Rose: Like what?

Mark Zuckerberg: How to build a team around you, right, that's focused on building as high quality and good things as you are. How to keep an organization focused, right, when I think the tendency for larger companies is to try to fray and go into all these different areas. Yeah, I mean a lot just on the aesthetics and kind of mission orientation of companies. I mean, Apple is a company that is so focused on just building products that -- for their customers and their users. And -- and that's like -- it's such a deep part of their mission is build these beautiful products for their users. And I think we connected a lot on this level of, okay, Facebook has this mission that's really more than just trying to build a company, right, that has a market cap or a value. It's like we're trying to do this thing in the world. And I don't know, a lot of it I just think we connected on that level.
Apple is of course famous for its laser-like focus on a relatively small number of products, offering greater clarity to customers and users while also ensuring that the company's employees do not become spread too thin or stray too far from the overall objectives.

In the wake of Steve Jobs' passing, the extent to which he served as a mentor to other high-profile industry personalities has become more clear, as evidenced by an on again-off again relationship with Google executives Larry Page and Sergey Brin and a connection with Salesforce.com founder Marc Benioff that ultimately resulted in Benioff giving Jobs and Apple the "App Store" trademark and URL free of charge out of gratitude.

Jobs' advice to Zuckerberg parallels some of the advice he gave to Page, shared in Walter Isaacon's biography of Jobs, in which he told Page to figure out what five things Google wanted to focus on "when it grows up". Seeing Google straying dangerously toward a bloated array of apps and services, Jobs warned Page about the possibility of turning into the next Microsoft, with an assortment of peripheral products dragging the company away from its core areas of focus and expertise.

Article Link: Mark Zuckerberg Discusses Steve Jobs' Influence on Facebook

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
Zuckerberg might be smart, but he sure doesn't know how to articulate. That was one of the most incoherent quotes I've ever re-read.

Trauma1

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
I know this is just a transcript, but he really needs to learn how to speak well.

Shield

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2010
Canada
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Honestly....I don't think I understood a freakin word he said.

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Woah.

Zuck sounds like he's been drinking a few pints of bong water. Incoherent much?

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I hate reading his name and seeing his face so often as a tech interested user, I hate it even more when they mention his name in any topic related to Steve Jobs.
M3gno.jpg

GSPice

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2008
I hate reading his name and seeing his face so often as a tech interested user, I hate it even more when they mention his name in any topic related to Steve Jobs.

I would create another macrumors account just to +1 this one twice.

wheezy

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2005
Alpine, UT
Zuckerberg is a um, ya know ----- very dumbed-down version of Bill Gates - an opportunist who got in at, ---- who like got in at the right moment.

But that's where the resemblance fades, and now he's looking more like a Steve Ballmer.

G4-power

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2004
Vaasa, Finland
Again, might be a clever guy and all, or then not. He really can't articulate nor compose simple sentences. Quite the contrast to Steve, who learned how to think about the interviewers question, think what he was gonna say, and then said it.

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
I tried to read it

----------

Again, might be a clever guy and all, or then not. He really can't articulate nor compose simple sentences. Quite the contrast to Steve, who learned how to think about the interviewers question, think what he was gonna say, and then said it.

"I don't know!" :p

slicecom

macrumors 68020
Aug 29, 2003
Toronto, Canada

Exactly. One thing I noticed about Steve Jobs interviews is he wasn't afraid of silence. Sometimes after hearing a question, he would sit there in silence for 10-20 seconds while he figured out how he wanted to answer it. Mark should learn that from Steve.

sladey

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2008
Sydney, Australia
Thousands of employees, $billions in "value", and Facebook still can't get their iPhone app to work properly.

Give us a break!

There are better apps written by hobbyists in their spare time.

hotrock3

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2009
Zuckerberg might be smart, but he sure doesn't know how to articulate. That was one of the most incoherent quotes I've ever re-read.

It wasn't anywhere close to how he was portrayed in Hollywood's version of The Social Network.

I actually thought that it was possible for him to have been something other than a secluded scatterbrained code monkey. Guess not.

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011
It wasn't anywhere close to how he was portrayed in Hollywood's version of The Social Network.

I actually thought that it was possible for him to have been something other than a secluded scatterbrained code monkey. Guess not.

its just that, right i dont know

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.