Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RoeyShenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Hey guys, i have a bit of a dilema that i;m sure every1 having.

Since the iPhone 3g, I had every iPhone (3g, 3gs and 4).

At first i was sure that i'm going to ugprade to 4s but right now i'm not so sure,

I need your help guys to decide, I know that a lot of people here upgraded from 4 to 4s, is it worth it?

Thanks for your help guys.

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK
Hey guys, i have a bit of a dilema that i;m sure every1 having.

Since the iPhone 3g, I had every iPhone (3g, 3gs and 4).

At first i was sure that i'm going to ugprade to 4s but right now i'm not so sure,

I need your help guys to decide, I know that a lot of people here upgraded from 4 to 4s, is it worth it?

Thanks for your help guys.

It was for me, the web improvements are great...you will notice a difference there. Camera is quailty and of course i have found siri very useful. It's generally a more smoother feel and you can swipe easily and there is zero lag when texting.

depends on your needs and the money but for me it was totally worth it.

RoeyShenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Thanks for your quick response,
because i'm from israel i'm not sure that siri will be so useful for me (It won't be in hebrew).

and you mentioned the web improvement, it depends on my mobile carrier which i know i won't feel any difference,

i'm thinking about upgrading because i heard the 4s have a great camera, and it's a lot more faster,

And because i really have to have the latest iphone there is :)

So i'm still thinking about it...

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York
Sold my iPhone 4 tonight buying 4s tomorrow. I figure I'll enjoy the improved camera (i use it a lot) and also the addition of siri will be cool.

Beyond that I'm switching colors to white. Not a big upgrade but worth it for the camera IMHO considering how much I use mine.

RoeyShenberg

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 1, 2010
Yeah and you remind me,

right now i have 16gb iphone which is not enough for me,

And i really want to switch colors to white...

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I love how everything is faster and smoother and maybe you wouldn't notice it if your current phone isn't an iPhone and then get the 4S but me moving from 4 to 4S I can definitely tell the difference. You said Siri wont be useful but my first language isn't English and I use it at least a few times a day and I cant wait for added functionality like turing wifi on and off for example. Getting a white one also helped me justify the purchase

bobright

macrumors 601
Jun 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

gdeputy said:
Sold my iPhone 4 tonight buying 4s tomorrow. I figure I'll enjoy the improved camera (i use it a lot) and also the addition of siri will be cool.

Beyond that I'm switching colors to white. Not a big upgrade but worth it for the camera IMHO considering how much I use mine.

I did the same thing and couldn't be happier. I had the 4 now S and freaking love it. It is blazing fast. Home button unlike the 4 rock solid and very responsive. It overall just feels x10 smoother and opens things at the snap of a finger.

Oh yeah the iPod output and speaker is also louder music sounds better

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
Yeah and you remind me,

right now i have 16gb iphone which is not enough for me,

And i really want to switch colors to white...
I currently have an iPhone 4 and am not planning to switch to the 4S. Everybody here says it's a good upgrade, but for me it's not worth the upgrade fee.

Siri is completely useful in Asia, Africa and big parts of Europe, and even if you speak English it might have some trouble with your pronunciation.

It does not have a new design, but only a faster processor and a better camera. Now it might be me, but I don't think the camera on the iPhone 4 is bad at all.

I say keep your money and spend it on the 3rd generation iPad and upgrade to the 6th generation iPhone next year. That one will hopefully have a bigger display, redesign (and because of bigger screen and redesign extra space so bigger battery) and other improvements for the processor and camera again.

Upgrading from the iPhone 4 to the iPhone 4S is a lot of money. Is it really worth hundreds of euros (not sure if Israel uses euro)?

It's a small upgrade, and since you have been planning to upgrade every year anyway I would wait. Again, perhaps you can save the money now and go for an iPad 3 which hopefully will get a retina display.

hayden1250

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I recently upgraded from the 4 to 4S. My opinion is that it isn't really worth it. If Siri does not function in your area, then the improvements are only minor. Keep the cash and wait for the next one.

Oh and your 4 will have longer battery life :p serious.

paulro

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2008
I upgraded from the 4 to the 4S, and didn't find the improvements to be in any way significant.

Siri had trouble with at least 50% of things I said (I'm from the UK with no strong regional accent)

The camera was better, but not 'wow' better.

I honestly couldn't see any speed difference in general use.

The antenna on the 4S did give me slightly more reception.

For me, the improvements were not worth the difference in cost between a 4 and 4S. I took the 4S back to Apple within the 14 day period and bought another 4.

DryEyez

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
UK
In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the iPhone 4 in the sense that it still serves its purpose, I don't think upgrading to 4s is a worth while upgrade, but that's just me

TBONE72

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2007
The improved antenna was worth it alone. I can now make/receive call from within my work building where is was spotty before.

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Siri is a useless gimmick that hardly works and you will soon tire of.

The chip is fractionally faster for apps but you will not notice.

The camera seems the same.

Not worth upgrading, wait for the next iPhone which hopefully will not look just the same.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Works fine for me. I use it daily for hands free tasks instead of typing. Such as setting alarm, taking notes, setting schedules. Maybe for you it has no purpose. More info

Depends on what app you are comparing. Opening calculator app? You won't see much difference even if the CPU is 10x faster. 4S has dual core CPU, runs much faster! more info

Seems the same? Maybe if you just look at a resize photo. 5MP to 8MP and much improved lowlight performace more info

Not worth upgrading, wait for the next iPhone which hopefully will not look just the same.
Maybe because none of the improved features benefit you or utilize.

is it worth it?
all depends on what you need/want.
Yea my grandma criticize me for having a $500 phone cuz her free flip phone dials calls just as fast LOL.

Ktdhc

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010

Exactly this.

4S is pretty disappointing. I honestly don't see any difference in practical use - Siri is rarely used, camera is about the same (the pictures look same on the phone but they do look better on a bigger screen) and everything seems about 5% faster. I'm sure benchmarks show much better performance but you're not exactly pushing the phone to its limits in every-day use.

I would wait for the 5.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
If I had to pick my favourite new feature of the 4S it would DEFINATELY be the camera.

The quality of shots taken with it are breath taking.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321655667.991226.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321655667.991226.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 49
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321655685.351875.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1321655685.351875.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 56

The Game 161

macrumors Nehalem
Dec 15, 2010
UK

Makes me wonder if you have ever used the 4s with opinions like this. To say the camera is the same and speed wise you see no difference is very odd indeed.

ShionoyaTamaki

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2011
Makes me wonder if you have ever used the 4s with opinions like this. To say the camera is the same and speed wise you see no difference is very odd indeed.

probably looking at just thumbnails or zoomed out cropped images on the iPhone is my best guess. My 4S has completely replaced my Canon P&S

GaiaAero

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2010
Personal preference really..
I went from the 4 to the 4S and I don't regret it at all
No battery problems at all for me and Siri is just magnificent :D (holy crap an iPhone 4S with no problems! it's a miracle!!!! is this iphone4sgate?! /endtroll)
And there's a 30 day return policy isnt there? If you don't like it, just return it!

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I too have had every iPhone since its inception and have always upgraded to the next one. I never looked back or questioned it. The new iPhone will always improve the faults of the previous, obvious and not so obvious flaws. It's a cycle of flaws and replacements (new iPhone generations). It's really just a part of life, flaws are what keep it going, they are always trying to make it better.

Now, I upgraded to the 4S from the 4 for several reason:

1. I wanted to reset my upgrade date with AT&T. I didn't want to upgrade eligible for so long without a solid date. I'm the one losing money that way. When the new comes out before the next upgrade date, then I'll worry about it then (but I've always gotten my way -- OT for this thread).

2. Camera. I have several P&S and Canon DSLR with 5 lenses and separate flash. It's a pain to carry all of that, but when you see the picture it takes, it was worth it. The iPhone 4S camera's picture looks like it was taken with that, not perfect but close enough for me to leave my gear at home.

3. Speed. Who doesn't want more speed? I don't if it's just age, by my 4 was slowing down/stuttering the past several months. Now, with the 4S, everything is smooth. Everything glides through the screen as my finger does, there's no lag time at all.

4.Siri. Sure, its not essential or maybe a gimmick but it's there. Use it if you want. It's beneficial only if you do have constant meetings and reminder that you input in your calendar - those do take time and it does it almost instantly. As far as the other options it has, it basically takes the place of your fingers for the most part. Use it, don't use it - it's up to.

5. New antenna. Yes the old iPhone 4 did have a problem. It was more severe for me because I refuse to put a case on phone. Now, the problem is fixed with the 4S. I can grip/hold it during a phone call and it won't drop anymore - I don't have to use a headset anymore!

That's it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.