iPad 128 GB Wifi vs 64 GB Carrier iPad Air 2...Which Would you Choose?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by questionmark32, Nov 1, 2014.

1. questionmark32 macrumors regular

I'm deciding on if I should get the 64 GB iPad Air 2 with LTE or the 128 GB Wifi Air 2. I'm not sure if I'm gonna need all the space of the 128 GB, but the resale value would be great, plus I wouldn't have to worry about deleting anything. But it would be nice to have data whenever I want it, even if I'm in an area with no wifi.

Which would you choose and why?

2. sboychuck macrumors regular

I liked having the ability, if needed, to use LTE out in the wild on a month-to-month plan, as needed. Also, the LTE version comes with built-in GPS. I keep iPads for several years before I change over. Up until I just got my iPad Air 2, I have been working with just the original version iPad, and doing fine, but not enough storage. My family uses the iPad and we have several email accounts, photos, videos, movies and music. I have filled up about 80GB on my 128 Air 2. If you change iPads with new cycles, then you can move to another one in the future. If you keep them, my suggestion is to go for the LTE and 128GB. You will also get better re-sale if you sell it in two years. I also am using the SIM out of one of my extra iPhones that has unlimited data. That means I do not worry about how much videos my kids watch on Netflix, Disney Channel, etc. Your mileage my vary though.

3. Finox831 macrumors member

turn your phone into a hot spot and connect it to your ipad? I have a 30GB plan between my bro and I and all I do is turn my iphone 6+ into a hot spot and connect my ipad air 2 when needed. Pretty legit

4. Strange Famous macrumors member

Guess it depends on how often you need the LTE. I use my phone when I need Internet on the go, and chose to save the $150 and just get a wifi iPad.

5. sboychuck macrumors regular

With my UDP, they do not allow hotspots with Verizon on my phone. At least that is what I have been told?

They do allow hotspot with the iPad on the UDP, and the iPad is up and running with it.

6. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Do you have a current iPad? If yes, how much storage do you use on that? - in general use, not cramming it full just to prove a point. If you use less than 64 GB; then spending money to up storage to 128GB has no use. Instead use that money to buy an option of using LTE data on demand, and also the use of GPS.

7. questionmark32 thread starter macrumors regular

I had a 4th Gen iPad at 32 GB, but I had to constantly delete apps which I hated. I'm afraid I will eventually do the same with the 64 GB version since the apps will increase in size and picture sizes will be bigger with the new camera.

8. kendu2412 macrumors regular

64gb work for me , 16gb too small . Transfer some new HD Movie , pictures , app with 64gb is enough and perfect choice for me.

9. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Honestly, I don't think it will be. I always used to buy the 64GB iPads (when the 32GB version was still around) so I could always carry movies with me. When I would go to sell them, they sold for more then the 32GB models, but not a drastic amount more. They also took longer to sell. It took about 3 days to sell my 16GB original iPad back in 2012, but it took about a month to sell my 64GB iPad mini 1 back in May of this year.

Personally, I would choose the 128GB model. I like to carry around movies and TV shows with me and if I ever need data, my plan comes with free Hotspot.

10. melman101 macrumors 68030

I would get the cellular model and that's exactly what I did.

T-Mobile has a promotion where you get 200mb free a month. That's a pretty good deal. :).

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

Both storage and cellular adds virtually nothing to an iPads resale value. The entire market for second hand iPads sucks, honestly. My 64gb iPad Air is worth effectively nothing more than my 64gb 4, and the 64gb is worth virtually nothing over 16gb.

12. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

Well then you can swing for the fences - 128GB with cellular.

13. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I'd go with the carrier option. To me that's more valuable because there might not always be Wi-Fi. Really though it's up to you and if you would like the option or not. Do you intend to take it with you at all? If you do, then you'll probably have needs similar to mine.

----------

If you're already a customer, they'll do a data match for your account. I had 1GB free until 2016, so instead I've got 5GB until the promotion ends. So for unlimited data on my phone plus a free 5GB for my tablet, I'm getting a pretty good deal!

14. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I think it took you longer to sell your mini because there's a glut of used iPads available now. I'd wager that in 2012 there were a lot less so naturally it sold faster.

15. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

It depends on how much you like to take your iPad out of the house. With getting free data from T-mobile I don't see any reason not to get the LTE version. The iPad makes a great navigation tool in the car (for the passenger of course). And it makes a great magazine reader on airline trips.

16. jks2014 macrumors newbie

4g brings you convenient...
    but 64gb of storage should be enough as long as you can maintain a habit to clean up your photos and unused apps regularly...
    with 128gb, most likely you don't have worry so much on not enough volume...

lol,i never clean up my mbp for 3 yrs, now i have tons of data or documents probably repeated...now it becomes too difficult to clean up...:(

17. newellj macrumors 601

It's a personal call. I would never own an iPad that couldn't connect outside of wifi range, but YMMV.

18. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

It is very subjective. For my typical usage,i don't need cellular data connection, so I would opt for a Wi-Fi only model.
    At the same time, I think the 128 Gb is too expensive and I would choose the 64 Gb model.

19. AnthonyS621 macrumors member

For me I have 3G on my iPad 2 and NEVER brought it outside my house not even once. I am always on wifi so I would go with the 128gb

20. Pjrufus, Nov 2, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2014

Pjrufus macrumors 6502

I will always have cell on my iPad. I like having the option if I need it, and I use a month to month plan, so I only pay for it a month at a time. My phone is T-Mobile, my iPad is Verizon. When our internet is out, or during the last hurricane, I appreciate having cell on my iPad, and in my area, Verizon is either the only carrier on during big storms, or the first back online.

I have 64gb on my Air 2, which is enough for me. I have a lot of apps, few photos, not much music, and it's at 14gb right now. My last iPad was 32, same stuff, and if I downloaded 1 movie, I would have to be sure and delete it when I was done, or I would have problems with the next movie.

If you think you'll have a lot if music and/or videos, you could fill up 64 pretty fast.

If it is a choice, I'd want the cell option over more space, but only you can know how you will likely use your iPad.

I'm not concerned with resale value, the difference is too small weighed against how I want to use it, and my convenience, over the next 2 or 3 yrs.

21. TRC-WA macrumors regular

Same here... It only cost me $10 a month to add it to my monthly data plan... and even if I rarely use the LTE, I still like it being there when I do need it.

Yeah it was $130 more but at the same time this is my first large iPad (just traded a mini for the same $200 I paid for it at BB) and I plan on keeping it for 2+ years... $130 over 2 years is nothing.

I have a large digital music and movie library and the 128GB makes storage a non issue. The GPS is an added bonus.

22. andyw715 macrumors 6502a

I like carrier version because most of the time the LTE is faster than the available wifi!

23. mango316 macrumors regular

faster flash memory on the 128gb is faster than 64gb?

On a air 2 64gb non cellular I'm getting flash memory write speed at 30MiB/s but I heard that air 2 with larger capacity like 128gb is getting twice the write speed at above 60MiB/ over AC wifi transfer, so can anyone confirm this?

24. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Me either. I view cellular data like insurance. You hate paying for it but when you need it you really need it. My cellular data has saved me numerous times when wifi was spotty or unsecure or not available. The LTE screams too.

I'd never buy an iPad again without it. No brainer for me.

25. Vandam500, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I'd choose the 64GB Cellular. Not being biased or anything, I just think it's the better choice :p