Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iger.jpg

Newly appointed Apple board member and Disney president and CEO Bob Iger purchased 2,670 shares of Apple stock on the open market, according to a filing with the SEC. The average purchase price of the shares was roughly $375, valuing the purchase at $1,001,250.

The large open-market purchase shows Iger's faith in the future of Apple. When he was appointed director, Iger was awarded 142 restricted stock units, or RSU's, which vest into AAPL shares in February of 2012. His wife holds 75 shares of Apple from before he was appointed director.

Non-employee Apple board members are typically paid $50,000 per year in compensation for their time, plus an annual stock award in the form of RSU's.

While a nice perk, Iger's pay as an Apple director is small change. His compensation package from Disney totaled more than $29.5 million dollars in 2010.

Article Link: New Apple Board Member Bob Iger Buys $1M In AAPL Shares

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
"small change"

The idea that $1M is small change is ludicrous.

He is the 1%.

Last edited:

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
"small change"

The idea that $29M is small change is ludicrous.

He is the 1%.

you misread that. It says the compensation from Apple is small change *compared* to the $29M he gets from Disney. Yes he's still the "1%," but it's not saying $29M is small change.

eject

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2010
London
I would say that he knows something that we don't fully. He is a new board member and will have a huge insight into what Apple are doing with regards to Media partnership and licensing deals with Apple TV. Apple TV and the living room takeover is going to be huge... So lets see what his investment will be like in 10 years time, its all relative, the time is now.

tkermit

macrumors 68040
Feb 20, 2004
So he invested less than 3% of what he makes in a year? That somehow fails to impress me... :p

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
I would say that he knows something that we don't fully. He is a new board member and will have a huge insight into what Apple are doing with regards to Media partnership and licensing deals with Apple TV. Apple TV and the living room takeover is going to be huge... So lets see what his investment will be like in 10 years time, its all relative, the time is now.

No... $1M isn't a serious amount for a guy like that.

He's just being friendly and showing he has some 'skin in the game'. It enhances his credibility amongst other board members, and the shareholders.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
No... $1M isn't a serious amount for a guy like that.

He's just being friendly and showing he has some 'skin in the game'. It enhances his credibility amongst other board members, and the shareholders.

Exactly, this is nothing but a good thing. He has some of his own money (even though it is comparatively small) invested in Apple, so is offered even more of an incentive to improve the company.

Biscuit411

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

slrandall said:
In before all the "1%" haters arrive :rolleyes:

Almost made it, haha.

Why do people hate on those who are successful?

Yeah, he's also the 1% that run a billion dollar company and sit on the board at Apple.

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
I have no concept of having that kind of money. I just recently brought myself out of debt and am no longer living paycheck to paycheck--I even have a small, but growing savings account. All the same, I will probably never have anything more than a comfortable cushion for when things go wrong.

What do you do with it after you've bought a nice house and car? $29M is a lot of money. Buy an island?

tylerk36

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2009
You gotta feel sorry for Bob Iger. He bought 1 million shares of Apple. HE must be struggling financially. You thought he would have bought 2 million. LOL.

HowieR32

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
So he invested less than 3% of what he makes in a year? That somehow fails to impress me... :p

Because you have assumed that he ONLY invests in AAPL shares. But I get your sarcasm, even though it missed its point. :p

poblack

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2007
I think there is a limit of shares you can buy at one time in the open market..Hence the $1M investment. He will probably accumulate more over time.

Mitchryan

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

He looks like such a square. That's ok, most people would say that about Tim Cook too.

HowieR32

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2010
Step 1: Learn to read
Step 2: apply recently learned skill
Step 3: contemplate what was read
Step 4: refrain from posting asinine comments

That observation is now something I'm noticing more often!

There is a new breed who have evolved from being able to bypass the control mechanism that regulates crap from their frontal lobe to their tongue; now being able to bypass that same mechanism to their fingers... Amazing! :rolleyes:

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
That observation is now something I'm noticing more often!

There is a new breed who have evolved from being able to bypass the control mechanism that regulates crap from their frontal lobe to their tongue; now being able to bypass that same mechanism to their fingers... Amazing! :rolleyes:

Perhaps we should all check with you before we post to make sure our uncontrolled and unregulated thoughts meet your standard of excellence.

Apparently many of us do not meet that standard...:(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.