128GB iPhone... there better be USB 3.0

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cbflip2000, Sep 5, 2013.

1. cbflip2000 macrumors regular

If 128GB iPhones are coming out, what do you think are the chances that iPhones and iPads will get USB 3.0 support? I think it's time for Apple to consider using USB 3.0 or even coming out with a Thunderbolt iPhone cable. We shouldn't be suffering with long sync times any longer. The new Galaxy Notes supports USB 3.0. Apple it's your turn to support this since all new Macs come with USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt anyways.

2. madsci954, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

madsci954 macrumors 68030

From what I understand, the rate at which iOS reads and writes to the flash storage, USB 3 won't make a difference. And since thunderbolt is still mostly on Macs, as I would guess there are more people with Windows and iPhones then Macs and iPhones, they won't make a TB lightning cable ever. 128 GB iPhones might be possible though.

3. Skika macrumors 68030

The flash in iPhones barely saturates USB2, what good would USB3 be?

4. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

The initial setup for a phone always takes a bit, but after that syncs should be minor and not that time consuming. I would like USB 3.0, but I don't think the iPhone is capable of it, especially if they're on their kick to keep making them thinner.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think there will be a 128GB iPhone, so USB 2.0 will remain standard.

6. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

I have a iPhone 5 with 64GB. It is about 75% full. I backup with the cloud and via the computer with iTunes. It takes less than a minute to back up my phone on USB with iTunes. Not much need for more speed but I am sure USB 3 will get here one day but there is a lot they need to do to the hardware/memory in the iPhone before USB 3 would be worth it.

----------

^^^This^^^

7. cbflip2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I'd like to transfer video files a lot faster from iPhoto and Video apps. Those are the things that take forever to sync for me. Adding different movies, TV shows, and moving video files taken from camera roll to computer.

8. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

i really hope they do add 128gb but i doubt they will:(

9. Joe HS, Sep 5, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2013

Joe HS macrumors 6502

I hope Lightning won't support Thunderbolt. The last thing you want is to be part way through a sync and realise that you can't then connect your other TB devices because your iPhone isn't capable of daisy-chaining. (Slightly older Macs only have one port, remember). USB 3 definitely seems like the better option.. Although those Macs don't have USB 3. Hmm.

Edit: That's MacBook Pros which now have two – Airs still have one.

10. boomhower macrumors 68000

boomhower

It wouldn't make a difference but it wouldn't surprise me in the least as that is the current standard and they could put a checkmark in that box with likely minimal cost. Plus AC is becoming more common rendering the wired speed and less relevant. Regardless, as mentioned, the speed of the flash in the phone makes it all pointless as it's just not that fast.

11. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

So too, does the current MacBook Air.

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You'd still be limited to the speed of the iPhone's NAND flash, it currently reads around 20 megabytes per second. There's still room for improvement before it hits USB 2's ~35MB/sec data rate.

13. onepoint macrumors 6502

onepoint

At minimum, USB 3.0 on the laptop-side can charge at 900 milliamps as opposed to 500 milliamps over USB 2.0

14. cbflip2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah I see... any technological advancements on that front or rumors of faster NAND flash? Has the NAND flash been the same since the first iPhone in 2007?

Came across this on wikipedia:

"As of 2013 V-NAND flash reads and writes twice as fast as conventional NAND. It lasts 10 times longer. V-NAND consumes 50 percent less power. As of 2013 they offer comparable physical bit density, using 10-nm lithography, but potentially offer as much as two orders of magnitude of increased density"

I hope Apple can utilize this for future products.

15. eastamherstbias macrumors 6502

People still plug their iphones into a computers. I have not plugged my Ipad or Iphones into a computer in a year. I just download directly on the device. Usb is starting to become obsolete.

16. cbflip2000 thread starter macrumors regular

I definitely need USB when switching up movies or TV shows that I have encoded my self. Example is 1 movie file.

Attached Files:

17. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

NAND speeds have gotten better since the first iPhone. Thy read around 10MB/second. The largest jump was with the iPhone 4S up to the current 20MB/second.

18. jreuschl macrumors 6502

The Galaxy Note III has USB 3.0, so that is starting to appear in phones.