Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Yeah, lack of NFC is annoying (there is a world outside of US, Mr Cook), but as with other technical upgrades, no doubt there's some halfway rational explanation.

But to omit a 128GB option is just plain mean-spirited and regressive. It's not a cost issue or a technical one. It's not even consistent with iPad storage.

I've upgraded and doubled up on storage every year more or less (16GB 3G, 32GB 4, and 64GB 5). Yes, I'm not on the S pathway (choice not contract-dependent) but I'm hugely disappointed at having to wait another 12 months for a feature that there's ZERO reason (other than pure greed/marketing holdback) not to offer now.

iPhone 6 can't come soon enough.

user-name-here

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2013
Even if there was a 128GB version the packrats out there would simply fill up that amount of space and then be demanding a 256GB version.

Simply organize your phone with iTunes and avoid the clutter.

Veinticinco

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2009
Europe
Even if there was a 128GB version the packrats out there would simply fill up that amount of space and then be demanding a 256GB version.

Simply organize your phone with iTunes and avoid the clutter.
Sorry that makes no sense whatsoever. Why bother upgrading anything then if you're using that bizarre logic?

Oh and some of us like to be free of iTunes (the best thing about iOS 5) and extra iCloud storage is hardly a cost-effective option either. As for "clutter", not exactly how I'd describe GB's of precious photos and video of my kids growing up, a lot of which I like to keep on my phone.

It's a cheapskate marketing move nothing more.

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
I have a 64GB iPhone 5. With no 128GB iPhone 5S available I can't see enough reasons to justify the purchase of a 5S. The fingerprint sensor is a nice idea but I'm sure that will get better with future models.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
So for those of you suggesting avoid the clutter and be wise, is the 32GB enough or do you have the 64?

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Well 128 GB would cost more, thus reducing their profit margins. I guess by not adding the 128 GB option, they offset any cost increase associated with the new camera system, processor, sapphire home button, and Touch ID tech.

dave420

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2010
I was also hoping for an upgrade to the storage sizes. I was especially hoping that the 64 GB would be under $400. If I hadn't just gotten a good deal selling an iPhone 4 on Craigslist I would probably skip this phone for now.

I am very disappointed that there was not an upgrade, and that Apple is keeping the same storage price points for five years now. They could at least fix whatever issue is wasting 12 GB of storage on my phone with this "other" stuff if they aren't gonna offer more storage.

S

syd430

But to omit a 128GB option is just plain mean-spirited and regressive.

No. Apple is a for profit business. If they thought the cost/benefit was there at this point in time, they would have introduced it. If a corporation acted "mean spirited" in conflict of its profit motive, then it only stands to hurt itself.

Also, the trend towards higher storage capacities has been slowing in recent years because of the increased popularity of cloud services. This says nothing of your personal requirements, just an indication of the wider trend.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Well 128 GB would cost more, thus reducing their profit margins. I guess by not adding the 128 GB option, they offset any cost increase associated with the new camera system, processor, sapphire home button, and Touch ID tech.

Not if 128gb was 100 more. That is what I was expecting IF it would have been an option....like the iPad 4...

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
I have 10.4gb free on my 16gb 4S. :D

People complaining that there is no 128gb option... :confused:

Average person buys the 16gb, Apple doesn't care about the 2% of people that would actually purchase a 128gb phone.

Dulcimer

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2012
Do we know for sure that 128 GB flash storage chips exist that fit smartphones? And if so, what's the cost?

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
Come on isn't it obvious? While everyone buys the current versions... 6-7 months from now we will see a 128GB version that people will then jump on. More profits!

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
You really need 128GB worth media in you pocket? Seriously?

Yes.

(And, in this day and age, I'm surprised there are /still/ people that suggest growth in things like storage/memory should stop. Haven't we all learned, years ago, that whatever capacity we have at any given point in time isn't enough, that newer and higher quality media formats we burn through more and more capacity. Same goes for speed/performance, too).

Unlike the OP, I know this isn't a mean spirited move, but one driven by cost issues and possibly physical space issues (I don't know if 128GB is dense enough yet to fit with the physical constraints of the 5S).

Not only do I have a lot of music, I have a lot of music videos and a ton of family photos and family movies.

HD videos of family/etc take up a great deal of space. It doesn't take too many, coupled with everything else on the device, to fill up 64GB. I'm absolutely getting a 5S, but I will be waiting eagerly for the 6 and the almost certain upgrade to 128GB.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Yes.

(And, in this day and age, I'm surprised there are /still/ people that suggest growth in things like storage/memory should stop. Haven't we all learned, years ago, that whatever capacity we have at any given point in time isn't enough, that newer and higher quality media formats we burn through more and more capacity. Same goes for speed/performance, too).

Unlike the OP, I know this isn't a mean spirited move, but one driven by cost issues and possibly physical space issues (I don't know if 128GB is dense enough yet to fit with the physical constraints of the 5S).

Not only do I have a lot of music, I have a lot of music videos and a ton of family photos and family movies.

HD videos of family/etc take up a great deal of space. It doesn't take too many, coupled with everything else on the device, to fill up 64GB. I'm absolutely getting a 5S, but I will be waiting eagerly for the 6 and the almost certain upgrade to 128GB.

That's great that you have all your family photos/videos/music, etc... but do you really need it on your phone AT ALL TIMES? That's what the person was asking. Put it on some other form of storage, iCloud, etc.

Personally, I like a clutter free phone.

You're really sure the 6 is going to have 128gb? Just like people SWORE the iPhone 5S was getting 128gb... ;)

Again, only a extremely small, minute amount of people desire a 128gb phone. I wouldn't hold your breath.

slippery-pete

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Yes.

To me, it has little to do with media size, but has to do with the need to have 128GB of media at your fingertips at all times. Anytime you have your phone with you are you using all your photos? Watching all your movies? Listening to all you music?

To each his own. To me, I don't need all my media with me at all time.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
To me, it has little to do with media size, but has to do with the need to have 128GB of media at your fingertips at all times. Anytime you have your phone with you are you using all your photos? Watching all your movies? Listening to all you music?

To each his own. To me, I don't need all my media with me at all time.

And that's why they have smaller storage footprint sizes, so people like you can purchase a those devices at a lower price point. That's a model that works for people like you, and it's great there's an option for that.

Of course I'm not listening to all my music every time, or looking at all my photos all the time, or watching all my vids all the time.

But I have greatly varied tastes. Some days I want to listen to electronic music all day while I code. Other times, I'm in more of a celtic mood. World music sometimes grabs my fancy. Often times, it's the super harsh death metal. Classic rock. Classical. 80's. 70's. 60's. I could go on, but you get the point.

Having large amounts of storage means I don't have to anticipate my desires for the day. It also means I don't have to waste my time changing out my playlists/media from day to day.

This is the model that works for me, and works for many, many other people as well. So, yes, 128GB is something I'm greatly looking forward to.

paulbennett95

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2012
Long Island, NY
128GB NAND modules are new and expensive, wait till the iPhone 6.
The only reason why the iPad has 128GB is it uses 2 NAND modules, therefore it includes 2x64GB, which is much more cost effective than 1x128GB.
Once costs go down and production yields go up you *may* see a 128GB iPhone.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
I still don't understand why they didn't do 128GB, I always fill my 64 and I really want to buy this! Apple, why didn't you put 128GB I would gladly pay the $100 extra!!

mdgm

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2010
Also, the trend towards higher storage capacities has been slowing in recent years because of the increased popularity of cloud services. This says nothing of your personal requirements, just an indication of the wider trend.

In the US most people with 64GB iPhones may have unlimited internet for use with their iPhones so Cloud usage may not be an issue but for people in many other countries unlimited internet for mobile usage simply isn't available.

I wouldn't mind using the cloud so much if I could use unlimited internet on my iPhone each month at an affordable price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.