129º F and no fans?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by GoCubsGo, Dec 12, 2008.

1. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

iStat pro and iStat menus are reporting that my fans aren't spinning at 129ºF on my PowerBook. (1.67ghz rev D). I don't hear them. Is there something I can do to figure out if they're completely dead?

The book isn't smoking, but I wonder if it will one day soon enough.

Attached Files:

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

If you put your ear to the computer, do you hear the fans spinning? Do you feel air blowing out the back? My 12" PBG4 reports 0 rpm (even though the fans are going) until the fans start to rev up around past 130F. From my observations, PowerBooks run very cool (though 130F is still just warming up). You'd know if your fans didn't work... your computer would be dead.

3. GoCubsGo thread starter macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I am unsure, I don't feel air or hear much. I hear what sounds like a hard drive spinning?

I'll keep an eye out. It's 122º now, so we'll see.

4. erifneerg macrumors member

yea, mine is at was at 70c (about 160-f) and i had to use smcFanControl to turn it up to try and cool it off. I don't get what's causing it to run so hot. I currently only have Firefox, quicksilver and omnifocus running.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

iStat fan reporting doesn't work particularly on the PowerBook. My fan can be blowing at maximun and iStat will still tell me it's 0.