13” or 15”?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Newsappleby, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Newsappleby macrumors newbie

Heya, I was wondering if anybody could give me some good honest advice…

I’m a starting a new job very soon as a junior web designer/developer in an all Mac environment. I have experience using OSX from University however some of the programs the organisation use are Mac only and therefore I limited experience because I am used to designing/developing on PCs.

I was hoping to get a MacBook Pro after the update to familiarize myself with the OSX environment before I start and also use it on the job.

My problem is I was hoping to get a 13” MBP because they are portable, the form factor is easily the best in the range and I can plug it into my 24” screen when I am working at home. However looking at the spec of the new 13” it is not much better than the laptop I currently have which is 2 years old….and a Dell…..

My Current Laptop Specs

15”
    T7500 2.2Ghz Intel Core Duo
    4 Gig Ram
    NIVIDA GeForce 8600M GT
    Windows Vista Home Premium
    HDMI Port – (MBP doesn’t have)

Just wondering what you guys think? Is buying a 13” MBP a downgrade for me or should I jump upto the 15” range and ignore the portably the 13” offers?

You are probably wondering…... Why do you want a 13”? Well I have a 15” (see specs) and its too big, especially since I move around a lot, on planes, trains, buses etc. I certainly don't want a 17", they are too big.

I’m really confused and Apple certainty haven't made my decision any easier with yesterdays ‘refresh’…

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

Mate I guess it is comparable, however that is spec wise. Get the laptop if you require Mac OSX, trust me you will come to love the OS and won't regret it.

Maybe buy a 15" though if you have the extra money, better value plus it's still is easy to lug around with you. Either way both form factors do their job well.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

hi,

i use a 13" 2.53 , soon to be a 2.66

i love the 13" , i design iphone apps and do hardware service all the time with this beast.

the new graphics chip will be even more welcome, the 15" is strictly real estate to me, not performance.

i too have the ACD at home and it pairs up nicely.

either 13" will do what you want and do it well.

4. Newsappleby thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice. Still not sure though, espesially reading the other threads where people slate the 13” then others love it. God I am confused!!!. Thank you very much Apple. Arrghh!!!

In one sense I'm like stuff portability, I'll get the more powerful 15" then I'm like like, heck I cycle to work everyday, I use public transport, I love lying on the sofa with a laptop, lugging a 15" isn’t practical.....then I'm like heck my current laptop specs blow the 13" out of the water......

All I know is a I need OSX in the next few weeks or I'm gonna look like a complete N00B when I start...