13" and 15" unibody mbp 1.5 Gb/s, what to do if stock hdd crashes?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Jul 11, 2009.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

My question is what do you do if your stock hdd crashes? Would you buy a 1.5 Gb/s hdd to replace it?

Also is it absolutely true that the current 13" and 15" mbp has a 1.5 Gb/s controller or does it have a 3 Gb/s? Bad firmware or what is going on!?!

Another thing is that has anyone tried their 3rd party hdd under windows vista to see if it freezes? I heard in one of the apple support forum that someone said that their mbp works fine under windows.

2. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

Its a firmware issue, And it has been resolved. If you have installed the update than you should be running at 3.0 Gbps. If you have a 5400rpm or 7200rpm drive this really would not affect you anyway. The only people this affected was people with SSD's in their machines.

On a sidenote, there has been some issues with the new update and SOME, I'm not sure which, but some other non "apple" drives.

3. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

Damn, I guess I'm one of the few affected?

I just tried a 320gb hitachi travelstar 7200rpm hdd and it worked fine for a few hours until later tonight I tried using a fw800 to transfer some files and then the color wheel of death kept popping up and the computer froze.

I'm back with the 5400rpm standard 500gb hitachi stock drive and everything is fine once again.