13" Base MBP Thinking of MBP 13" Retina have a ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Wicked1, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ok, so I was looking at the refurb store for a 13" Retina MBP, just curious if I get the 8GB model with the 128GB SSD are they worth the money? I like the fact there is an HDMI port right on the unit, just that the SSD's for these models are so expensive, I need to have at least 512GB or keep the 128 and use an external but just not sure if anyone found a cheaper SSD for the Retina units.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

SSD retinas are expensive - same with 3rd party sellers - its a unique connector so prices wont be going south for awhile.

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

I got the 128gb SSD with my 13" Baseline rMBP and bought a 1.5TB USB 3.0 external My Passport for $96 bucks.

I'm wishing I got the 256gb but I'm sure I'll be able to live with it. My computer is hopefully coming in tomorrow :)

4. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

Hi,

i had the 128gb model and put the 480gb in back in june , was around 580 installed.

ill most likely be selling the 480gb (separately) and rmbp soon in anticipation for the new models.

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The SSDs will get cheaper with time, but they won't be very cheap for a few more years (perhaps two generations?); so right now the 512GB SSDs are quite affordable compared to say two years ago (they were easily twice or three times the price a few years ago).

Personally I find it counter-productive to purchase a thin-and-light laptop computer only to haul around a bunch of extra external hard disk drives because the internal capacity is lacking. I understand perhaps the cost is an issue, for which I would wait a year or so before making a purchase especially if what you have already works for you.

All that said, the 13" MacBook Pro Retina is a very capable machine.

6. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

The OP is talking the rMBP. So the proprietary setup of the rMBP's SSD means the OP will not be replacing/upgrading the rMBP's SSD, in an economical way, any time soon. Especially since I think OWC is the only 3rd party that even has them as an item, other than those pulled directly out of an existing rMBP.

And yes, the quest for thinness is taking away customer options, when it comes to one's MBPs. Everyone who wants retina w/ more than 256G, and doesn't want to spend more than $2799 upfront, is now forced to lug around an extra drive. Ain't max thinness grand?

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I know the OP is talking about the rMBP. The SSD will still get cheaper over time. I'm not talking about upgrading in the future, but rather about the possibility of a 512GB SSD as a default option in the future.

8. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

512G being the default? Maybe in about 4 or 5 iterations - especially on the 13"

9. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Is there going to be much difference between last years 13" macbook retina and this years model, the rumours about a slimmer design have gone quiet. Does this mean the form factor will remain the same.

10. CausticPuppy macrumors 65816

If you're not going to keep movies/music on your laptop or lots of games you'll probably be fine. I use mine mostly for work and even with everything installed (MS Office, XCode, various other tools) I've still got 83GB free. I did disable the sleepimage though (frees up 8GB space) and I also uninstalled apps I don't use; iPhoto and Garageband are gone because I use Aperture and Logic instead.

On my next laptop I'll probably spring for 256 or 512 though.

----------

Since the 13" rMBP is still a relatively new model I doubt it will change externally. The main thing is that battery life should be a lot better, and with a faster integrated GPU. Normal Haswell stuff.

The base config will probably be a tiny bit slower in CPU power compared to the current base, just like we saw with the haswell Air. The tradeoff is a few more hours of battery life (I personally don't feel limited by my 7 hours of battery yet-- but having 12 would still be better)

11. mrmarts macrumors 65816

Is there any chances we will see Quad Core processors in the 13" macbook retina!

12. Wicked1 thread starter macrumors 68040

Wicked1

I think I might just decide to go for the 13" rMBP base with 8/128 in the refurb store and save myself $250 then use an external drive for everything else, just keep apps and documents on the rMBP.

I may get Applecare with the savings only because the repair cost on the Retina screen could be Huge, and with the School discount AC costs $180, well worth the investment.

Keeping my 2012 MBP 13" base as a Media server and need the Super Drive sharing from this one, I am not spending more money on an Apple Superdrive