13 cars, John McCain, and Lies.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Lord Blackadder, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

So, apparently John McCain says he drives only American cars....he owns 11 of them. PLUS two foreign cars.

I suppose it's reasonable to assume that, since he can't remember how many houses he owns, those two foreign cars slipped through the cracks as well. :rolleyes:

Personally, I'm not interested in domestic cars. But I don't lie about it.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

If your a lifetime Senator you lie about everthing! Remember the Keating 5! McCain seems to be stretching the truth in a lot of ways. Its called Spin.

3. Mindflux macrumors 68000

Mindflux

This just in: Cars made in the USA have more foreign made parts than locally made parts.

Your "domestic" is mostly import.

4. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

That's okay, I stopped believing anything that fell out of his mouth a while ago.

5. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

he can always say he's helping the auto industry more than obama is :D

6. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

It's called lies.

7. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

For me, it isn't about domestic vs. foreign cars. It's about being so out of touch with the disparity in wealth in the US that you can forget how many houses and cars you have while millions of citizens are dirt poor and the middle class shoulder the brunt of the tax burden.

If he forgets about his cars and houses, who's to say he'll remember the needs of most American people, rather than the lobbyists and businessmen he surrounds himself with?

8. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

McCain is simply rich, Obama is the one out of touch.

9. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

Of all of the things that you can throw against Obama, out of touch is just about the least credible.

10. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

It bothers me that McCain can't remember how many houses he has and lies about buying only American cars. It isn't about being "simply rich". By not telling the truth he's either a liar or incompetent.

11. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

tsk,tsk... you're forgetting the * [] Both of the above * option again...

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Yes, the man that is ridiculed for working with small communities (community organizer) is the one thats out of touch. This being verse the one that considers the middle class up to 5 million.:rolleyes:

13. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Personally I don't know what I'd do with 13 cars. Whether they were foreign or not.

That's called over-indulgence.

14. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Can't really fault him if he has a VW TDI and a Honda Accord.

Might be in the garage for the maid or kids to use.

15. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

I agree. McCain has a hill to climb to convince people he has any idea what kinds of problems most Americans face on a daily basis.

Just for the record I can remember how many houses and cars I own (zero and one respectively). And it's a foreign car. :)

Good point. Palin's attack on Obama's community organizer comment was hitting below the belt. Anyone with knowledge of small-town politics knows that running a podunk town like Palin's doesn't take much political accumen.

The "5 million" comment from McCain was a real howler. Is this man for real? The fact that he thinks that a person, with say, 2 million dollars annual income is middle class is quantitative proof that McCain is not qualified to talk about our economic problems.

16. takao macrumors 68040

takao

i thought the only thing US car companies still produce is huge amounts of debt ?

at least that's the only product i seem to remember they launched successfully the last 5 years

17. Motley macrumors 6502

18. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Well, McCain's VW most certainly was not.

19. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

No, the produce loads of harmful emissions, too ;)

20. takao macrumors 68040

takao

sadly burning lots of money does produce some emissions .. it's inevitable

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Could be from Mexico or Brazil like some other US cars.

22. és: macrumors 6502a

és:

:D

It's a shame, really. I hope the US automotive industry can find it's feet again. It would be a good source of employment and a boost for the 'real' economy if they could design some type of car that runs on some great fuel or something. Putting good ol' fashion American ingenuity to work for the good of mankind instead of shuffling numbers around on computers to run the economy into the ground would be a great thing to see.

23. Lord Blackadder thread starter macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

Depends on the model; some VWs are still produced in Germany as well, like the GTI.

Tell me about it. America once led the world auto industry, and could, if motivated, produce industry-leading cars again. Right now, for various reasons, the American auto industry is focused on big, cheap, feature-filled cars of low quality.

John McCain probably doesn't see any problems with American auto manufacturing - all we need to do is protect them from foreign competition and all will be well. :rolleyes:

24. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Really? Some chains, some welding, a little bit of automation, and BAM! 13 cars becomes one supercar.

25. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Exactly. The question of how many cars he owns shouldn't require accounting skills (unless he's Jay Leno), but if it does, he should at least be able to answer correctly.