Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

muthless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Hello!

I recently upgraded from a Macbook to a 13 in Macbook Pro, and I discovered that the 13 in MBP has a combined audio in/out port. I also recently purchased a Rode NT1a recording microphone which I would like to connect to my MBP (please don't tell me about preamps, I can't afford one right now!). I have an XLR to 1/4 inch and a 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch adapter that I used to connect my mic on my Macbook. I know I can still plug the mic in and use the audio out port as an audio in, but I need to be able to connect my headphones at the same time so that I can record vocals.

Do I need an adapter that will connect my mic to USB or Firewire? Do you know which is better? Do you know of an adapter that will do this? How about a splitter for the audio in/out? Is the port capable of doing both at the same time?

I feel silly for not realizing this before I purchased the computer! I guess I just assumed that an upgraded computer would have the same features as the previous model and then some!

Any suggestions??? :confused:

m85476585

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2008
I don't know if this will work, but it's $2 with free shipping.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.22475

Dealextreme is reputable (as in they will definitely ship you stuff and won't steal your money), but the products they sell are cheap, and they shouldn't be expected to work well (or at all). Shipping to the US may take a few weeks.

muthless

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
So, USB or Firewire?

Thank you for your help! I appreciate the insight!

I am looking for something that will produce quality audio. Any suggestions on what adapter I should get in terms of quality? Firewire or USB? I would prefer not to spend a ton of money (my google searches came up with some pretty expensive pieces of equipment!). However, I am willing to invest in something that is quality.

I am trying to record female vocals with a Rode NT1a microphone. The microphone is XLR. I have a monster cable that connects XLR to 1/4 inch and an adapter that connects 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch. I am getting the impression that the audio in port is not the best way to get quality audio. So, I guess that leaves USB or firewire, but I'm not sure what to get! I found a monster cable that connects XLR to USB for $35 - would this be a good option?

Anyone have experience with this??? :)

mesq

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2010
Anyone have experience with this??? :)

You can't just plug a condenser microphone into the Audio In of your PC. Condenser microphones require what is called Phantom Power (48v). You will need a decent budget soundcard with preamps + phantom power. Maybe M-Audio Fast Track Ultra. Anyway whatever you get it must have Phantom Power to operate.

To reiterate -
You are going to have to shell out money for a sound card with phantom power, preamps and headphone out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.