13-inch MacBook Pro Retina versus upcoming 12-inch MacBook Air Retina?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Republius, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Republius macrumors member

Oct 14, 2014
    My uses are restricted to heavy word processing, e-mail, Internet, light database and spreadsheet, and some online video and streaming. I do not do games, movies, photos, or programming. The laptop will serve as a desktop replacement, and mobility is a plus and will be utilized. My budget is also tight.

I would like to see what the upcoming 12-inch MacBook Air Retina will have to offer, though I am concerned that initial new product iterations can be problematic and that a MBA Retina will have to sacrifice something significant to drive retina in a super thin frame; I would also want to take advantage of Black Friday pricing for a 13-inch MacBook Pro Retina (128GB SSD) if that is my best choice, which would not allow me to wait on the MBA Retina.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. EsspeN macrumors newbie

Nov 2, 2010
    Ive been waiting for the new airs for more than a year. On saturday a big shop here in norway had 20% off every apple product so I went ahead and got myself the retina 13" 256gb 8gb ram.

I compared them in the shop and the 13" air is lighter, but its actually bigger bezel. However, its thinner - but not so much that i do care.

I was fed up waiting for the "new" 12" retina, that can be something I dont want at all. Ive updated my 2010 11" air and this new one will probably hold for the next 4 years.
  3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Dec 13, 2004
    If the new 12-inch macbook has a Broadwell Core M in it, then you can't really compare it to any current laptop apple sells. This is a 4.5 watt processor, which is similar to the iPad's processor. It won't have performance similar to even a macbook air (15 watt processor), let alone a 13" rmbp (28 watt processor). It will be a very different device, and it would be useful only to people that can live with that level of performance.
  4. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

Apr 24, 2013
    New Orleans
    I say take the black friday deal and get the 13"
  5. MacInTO macrumors 65816

Apr 25, 2005
    Canada, eh!
    If you can wait until the 12" is released it might be better. I'm using a 15" rMBP and am curious to see the 12" offering.

I love the form factor and if it's powerful enough, I'd pull the trigger.
  6. Republius, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014

Republius thread starter macrumors member

Oct 14, 2014
    I can wait, but would be bypassing the opportunity for Black Friday savings on a 13-inch MacBook Pro Retina in doing so. And the more I research the upcoming MacBook Air Retina, the more I am convinced it will sacrifice processing heft to drive a retina screen in a super-thin (and fanless) chassis in order to prioritize form and mobility.

It seems to me the way this is all going to shake out is that the Air line will emphasize mobility and the Pro line will emphasize power, though both will now have retina-quality screens. And since I need a desktop replacement, while believing a MBP Retina is still mobile enough, I am strongly leaning away from waiting for the MBA Retina.