13 inch MBP will it have trouble displaying an HD video file on a 50-60 inch HDTV?

dannywong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
going to be purchasing a laptop soon and need to know about this :D

one of my current laptops cant stream youtube without lagging terribly while connected to the tv

Tudeski

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
going to be purchasing a laptop soon and need to know about this :D

one of my current laptops cant stream youtube without lagging terribly while connected to the tv
I'm not totally sure about this, but I know that my external monitor is a 19inch, and it won't even display the native resolution of the 19 inch montior

Comment

kjaxplicit24

macrumors regular
Nov 18, 2009
I have a 13in macbook pro 2.53 c2duo and 4gb of ram. I watch HD content (d/led movies, tv shows, etc) off my 40in LCD at 1080p resolution all the time no problem. The content plays smooth as can be. I'm sure youtube content won't be a problem.

Comment

dannywong

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 20, 2008
I'm not totally sure about this, but I know that my external monitor is a 19inch, and it won't even display the native resolution of the 19 inch montior
Really? thats odd

I have a 13in macbook pro 2.53 c2duo and 4gb of ram. I watch HD content (d/led movies, tv shows, etc) off my 40in LCD at 1080p resolution all the time no problem. The content plays smooth as can be. I'm sure youtube content won't be a problem.
That sounds great. have you tried watching a BR file 4-8 gigs in size on the HDTV?

Youtube sometimes studders in general but that's flash's problem. Mine always works well at displaying HD video.
Yeah the problem is it would work fine when its not displaying on the HDTV, so im sure it isnt a youtube thing there

Comment

MistaBungle

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2005
When I had my 2.0 Mac Mini (2 years ago model) hooked up to my 42" HDTV through VGA, it drove 1080P no problem. I do not see why a new MBP with a better (yes I know not that much) video card couldn't.

Comment

zerohp

macrumors member
Mar 6, 2008
I have a newer mac mini with the same hardware as a 13" MacBook, it plays full resolution bluray rips on my 60" pioneer with no stutter or drop outs

you'll need a mini displayport to dvi adapter then dvi to hdmi

don't use VGA as the above poster did. It will not run at full 1920x1080 60hz

Comment

Ryken

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2009
It will do this fine. It can output 1080P. Get the mini display port to hdmi adapter from monoprice.com. Works wonders. Watch the heat on the macbook when you do this. Grab smcfancontrol (google and install) and turn the fan up to keep the temps down.

Comment

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Of course...!

Where on earth do people get this weird notion that because a screen is big their computer might have trouble "powering" it?! It is resolution, not size that will cause problems. The 13" MBP's GPU (9400M) can do 2560x1600 as a maximum resolution. Your TV is 1080p (1920x1080).

Your current laptop may be struggling because of poor video memory.. you didn't really tell us anything about it.. vague posts don't really get any answers.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.