13" Macbook Pro 2.4 ghz (MD313LL/A) vs 2.7 ghz (MC724LL/A)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gwar28, Mar 19, 2012.

1. gwar28 macrumors newbie

I know all the rumors are that these are coming next month but I can't wait that long and I need a ODD and an external is not practical for me. This will be my fourth mac so I am not really a newbie. I need a computer and I just sold my iMac.

On macmall.com these two models are pretty close to the same price. 2.7 is ~$100 more. (I know that is the older version.)

Here are my questions:

Are there any hardware differences that I am missing?

Is the i5 vs the i7 worth the $100 more?

Will I notice the difference?

Would buying the 2.7 ghz be worth the extra money when (read if, I still have my powerbook from 2004) I decide to sell?

My computer is mostly used for Microsoft Office, burning DVDs and editing a few movies a year. I am by no means a heavy user. Just need someones advice, I have annoyed all my mac friends to death with my conundrum.

2. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I would go for the Feb i7 - If you go through AppleInsider - link provided http://www.appleinsider.com/mac_price_guide/ - you will receive an additional 3% off order.

3. Mojo1, Mar 19, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2012

Mojo1 macrumors 65816

The i7 is around 8% faster than the i5. Will you notice a difference? No. Is it worth $100? I usually wouldn't spend the $300 or so an i7 upgrade normally costs, but $100 is not much money. I've been tempted by the Macmall deal myself, but I am going to wait and see what the rumored refresh offers before I get another MBP.

FWIW, my 2.3GHz 13" MBP is plenty fast and powerful for me. And I tend to run more demanding apps than the ones you listed. I usually use it with a high-end NEC 24" display. The 2.4 would serve you well based on what you do with your Macs. You don't say which iMac you sold but even the base model MBP is significantly faster than your 2004 Powerbook.

If you want to save some money the 2.3GHz MBP is regularly available in the refurb section of the online Apple Store for $929. The only difference between the 2.3GHz and the 2.4/2.7 is a larger hard drive (500 vs. 320GB).

4. gwar28 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your help. I had the 3.06 ghz iMac. I lost my old macbook pro in my divorce. The $100 price between the 2.3/2.4 is worth it just for the extra HD space.