Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

13 MacBook Pro 2017 Screen Issue

DAMAC3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Noblesville, IN
The screen stopped working on my MacBook Pro recently. No drops or spills. It will boot up to an external monitor just fine, but the main laptop screen does almost nothing. I can see a very faint glow when it boots up, and I can make that faint glow strengthen or lessen by adjusting the brightness. But nothing shows up on the screen that I can see. The machine works perfectly with an external monitor.

The fact that the screen responds to the brightness keys makes me think it isn’t a connection issue, and obviously the video card works because the external monitor works fine. So do I need to replace the LCD panel? Thanks in advance for any help!

chscag

Contributor
Feb 17, 2008
Fort Worth, Texas
It sounds like the backlight has failed or failing. I'm not sure if the display has to be replaced on that model but Apple should be able to tell you. It could be the circuitry that controls the backlight which has failed. Again, best to let Apple diagnose it for you. Do you have Applecare?

DAMAC3

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
Noblesville, IN
No on the AppleCare. I have had such good luck with my Apple products that I stopped paying for it. Got me this time.

Thank you for the suggestions.

Natzoo

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2014
I think there was a recall for the 2016 version with the display but probably won't cover 2017 even if its the same issue.

phoofa

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2011
South Australia
The screen stopped working on my MacBook Pro recently. No drops or spills. It will boot up to an external monitor just fine, but the main laptop screen does almost nothing. I can see a very faint glow when it boots up, and I can make that faint glow strengthen or lessen by adjusting the brightness. But nothing shows up on the screen that I can see. The machine works perfectly with an external monitor.

The fact that the screen responds to the brightness keys makes me think it isn’t a connection issue, and obviously the video card works because the external monitor works fine. So do I need to replace the LCD panel? Thanks in advance for any help!
Ha. Mine's just started to flicker....my first search brought up this post.
What are the odds?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.