13" Macbook Pro vs / or Macbook? £130 difference.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bazza88, May 26, 2010.

?

Which one to get - £130 difference.

1. 13" Macbook Pro

25 vote(s)
    89.3%
  2. Macbook

3 vote(s)
    10.7%
  1. bazza88 macrumors newbie

In the UK it will cost an extra £130 for a 13" Macbook Pro compared to a Macbook, for higher education discount.

Do you think this extra cost is worth it?

I have to decide ASAP at I need to order it tonight, in order to receive a printer rebate offer which finishes tonight.

Any thoughts are welcome, thanks.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Do you want:

-A backlit keyboard
    -Firewire
    -Aluminum construction

???

If yes, get the MBP. If you don't care, save your money and get the MB.

3. bazza88 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only 2 differences that really appeals, is the aluminium and the extra 2GB RAM.

In your opinion, does this warrant £130 extra ($185)?

Thanks.

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Oh right, there's an extra 2 GB of ram. I don't know if it's worth it or not; probably? What's your budget?

5. r6mile macrumors 6502

I just went through the same dilemma, and in the end bought the 13" MBP, with the 8GB iPod Touch and the HP Printer. Total: £880 (inc. £200 rebate). Considering I'll be selling the printer, it will come down to even less.

For an extra £130, you get the extra 2GB of RAM which alone is worth £70. If you take that into account, it only leaves the difference at £60, for which you get a backlit keyboard, a firewire port, SD card slot (may sound a bit silly, but it can turn out very useful), and it's all made of aluminium. Not only that, but you'll get much better resale value in the future if you were ever to sell. I'd say go for it.
    You can't go wrong with a Macbook, however in the future you might regret not having bought a Pro.

P.S: Also, I think it looks smarter and cooler.

6. Dooger macrumors 6502

This poll will end up roughly 80% for a MBP
    I wouldn't bother with the MB dude, the MBP is worth the extra cash
    Does the MB have the glass trackpad yet? I gave my old MB to my parents and was surprised by how stodgy the old trackpad felt when I used it again recently

7. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

I bought the MBP - better screen as well. Dunno if they've updated the MB but when i bought mine last month pro had better battery, it's lighter as well which always helps.

Everything about the pro is slightly better.

8. TW95 macrumors member

MacBook Pro or Macbook? MBP

I've got a 13" pro and I believe I made the correct decision.

I think you should get a Pro.

9. bazza88 thread starter macrumors newbie

Decided to go with the Pro.

My order was exactly the same as yours.

When you account for the memory upgrade price on the macbook, the small cost to gain the extra pro features is worthwhile.

I think if 4GB is required the pro is definetely the way to go, else the macbook is a great buy.

10. swish2351 macrumors 6502

Don't forget 2GB RAM and an SD Card slot!

The MacBook Pro is worth is SO much more long term. The MacBook is made out of Carbon:rolleyes: while the MacBook Pro is made out of Aluminum. That is huge, if you drop the MacBook once, your S.O.L. the MacBook Pro can survive multiple drops (I would know:D). For 2GB RAM, a better body material, an SD Card Slot, a FireWire slot, and a backlit keyboard I don't see why you WOULD even consider a MacBook anymore

11. Amasashi macrumors member

Unless you're really strapped for cash, I would go for the MacBook Pro. For an extra 130 (sorry, don't know how to make the pound sign), you get:

1. Aluminum unibody. This alone is worth the extra cost, IMHO.

2. 2 GB more memory. This is worth more than it looks, because the MacBook gives you 1 GB x 2 sticks, filling up both memory slots, so if you want to upgrade to 4 GB (2 GB x 2), you'll have to throw out the original RAM.

3. Backlit keyboard. Great for working in low-light conditions (airplane, train, on the bed before you sleep), which you inevitably will when on the go.

4. SD card slot. Very useful, one less peripheral to carry around, unless you're using another storage format.

5. FireWire 800. Again, if you have devices that use this, very useful.

Bonus Reason: Pro. If having those 3 letters makes you feel any better, than by all means go for the cool factor :)

12. dsprimal macrumors 6502a

dsprimal

the extra 130 for the fancier mbp is worth it IMO ;)

13. 7thMac macrumors 6502

14. toffa813 macrumors regular

I'd say the MBP, but you could also just get the MB and upgrade it to 4gb ram and 320gb HD, so it'd have slightly better specs for a little less.