13" MBA 2013 model

StarShot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 31, 2014
I think I have a problem with my 13” MacBook Air made in 2013. The last few months when booting up from sleep mode, often the computer will boot up to the desktop and then within maybe 30 seconds or less, the display will go dark. Today I timed the screen while dark and after 1 minute, it remained dark. Don’t know what would have happened if I left it in that condition.

Next step, pushed the power button (upper right corner) and still it refused to boot. Then I held the power button in and maybe after 5-10 seconds, the display popped normally. I noticed the battery meter said 17% so the battery was powered. I would expect this kind of behavior if the battery was at zero.

With the computer reporting the battery at 100%, Coconut Battery reports current charge at 5555 mAh with Full Charge Capacity of 5830 mAh and 95%.

It further says the Design Capacity should be 7150 mAh and the battery is at 81.5% of the design.

further data

Manufacture date 2013—5-27

Cycle Count 965

macOS Battery status Good

Battery Temperature 35.1 C

Charging with 8.63 Watts

Power adapter Connected

I’m starting to think my MBA may be on its last legs or maybe needs a new battery.

Anyone know if the battery can be replaced and if so, would it correct this problem of the screen going dark on boot up? Once the display screen comes back up, I can run the computer for hours.

Anyone else have this same problem? Since the computer is 6 1/2 years old, should I consider getting a new one? I am NOT a power user, but I do think the computer runs slower. I just timed pulling up an simple Excel file and it took 13 seconds to load.

I should note I'm running macOS 10.15.1 (Catalina). I think this is the last update that is possible with my 2013 MBA.

asv56kx3088

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2013
It is possible that your battery is toasted, it may worth visiting an Apple Store for a battery checkup

Saturn007

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
I've had the same thing happen with my 2013 13" MBA. A couple of times it has gone dark on me. Not sure when the circumstances are but, as you've found, holding down the power key brings it back to life.

I'm close to 800 cycles and 78% battery health, so it could be related to that-- or, perhaps, one of the Energy Saver settings (dim when not connected to power?).

But, it's easy enough to live with; that is, until it happens regularly. Just make sure to always be backing up crucial files -- or use Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner-- in case it ever does more than just turn off the screen.

Macdctr

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2009
Ocean State
Changing out the battery on this laptop is very easy. Unplug the battery and remove 5 little screws securing the battery and swap. That's it. You can go to the ifixit.com web site to get a replacement battery for this laptop easily and the necessary tools to do the job. It is very easy and you would have a fresh battery. This is the first thing I did to both my 2015 13inch and 11inch laptops when I got them.