13" MBA i7 or 13" MBP with Retina i5 .. and other questions

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ahmedouvix, Aug 5, 2014.

1. ahmedouvix macrumors member

ahmedouvix

Hey guys

I am willing to get a macbook this year and i have some questions ..

first one i can't decide which one should i get

13" Macbook Air Core i7 - 8gb ram - 128gb SSD *Latest model* OR
    13" Macbook Pro Core i5 - 8gb ram - 128gb SSD *Latest model*

I am an engineering student and i will use Photoshop - auto-cad - editing office documents etc on it

and i checked geekbench benchmarks and there scores were so close

the i7 MBA Processor is Core i7 (I7-4650U)
    the i5 MBP Processor is Core i5 (I5-4308U)

---
    second question, I really like the MBP, if i will get a MBP is there a big difference between the

MBP with Core i5 (I5-4308U) and MBP with Core i5 (I5-4278U) ?

the differences between them according to Intel ark are

the I5-4308U has higher Clock Speed (200 MHz)
    the I5-4308U GPU Intel HD 5100 has higher Graphics Max Dynamic Frequency (100 Mhz)

does it worth 150$ ?

---

Third and last question Will apple release new Macbooks soon? Air with retina or Pro with dedicated Graphic card?

2. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Same questions just keep getting asked over and over and over.

Amazing.

3. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

People need help with their decisions. It helps to get input on their particular situation. If you don't want to help, then don't comment at all. Being a douchbag does nothing to help the OP decide.

4. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

well i searched a lot but all i found were for old models ..

you don't have to comment btw

5. Qaanol macrumors 6502a

Pick the form factor, screen, and size you prefer, then get the base processor with 8 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD.

If you're in the USA, the late 2013 13.3" rMBP 2.4/8/256 is available for $1,189 refurbished from Apple. That is basically the same price as the models you're looking at (with education discount), but it has twice the storage capacity. You might even be able to find it cheaper elsewhere if you look.

The late 2013 rMBP models are basically identical to the mid-2014 models. The only difference is a minuscule spec bump to the processor (0.2 GHz), which you would never notice in practice (also the base model RAM went up, but you're already matching that anyway.)

Processor upgrades are basically never worth paying for: only high-end professionals who earn money based on how quickly their machine runs can really justify the cost.

RAM upgrades are a binary thing: either you need more or you don't. And for the vast majority of people, we don't need more than 8 GB. So I think you've picked the right number there.

SSD upgrades are where it's at. If you were to get the 128 GB model, you'd very quickly realize how aggravating it is to have so little storage space. I highly recommend getting 256.

6. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

The two would perform essentially the same for what you would be doing with them. That being said, I would go with the rMBP due to the far superior display. Unless you are going to be primarily using it with an external monitor, the retina display helps so much especially when reading text on the white background.

The rMBP is also a little smaller than the Air which means it's easily as portable if not more.

Battery is better by 3 hours on the Air. If it is essential that you get 12 hours of battery life, the Air is your choice. If 9 hours meets your needs, I'd go pro.

7. ahmedouvix, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

First, Thank you for the reply i really appreciate it

Second, i decided to get the pro retina for the display with base processor I5-4308U with 8gb ram and 128gb SSD *i will upgrade it later to 480gb and i will get external HDD*

I chose 13" because i can't buy 15" with my budget and i tried 13" size it was perfect for me

I don't live in USA actually i live in Egypt, i will get the macbook from UAE and i don't know where i can get one except Apple store site .. and apple store in UAE doesn't have any refurbished or older devices

we have late 2013 in egypt but it costs really a lot ..

only one question left .. any new macbooks coming soon? should i wait?

thank you very much for the reply

----------

I will go with the rMBP base model and i will not use any external Screen.. 9 hours is perfect for me

thank you very much

8. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

What is the best SSD i should buy guys? amazon link please? for 13" macbook pro mid 2014 128gb original ssd

9. Meister Suspended

Meister

?

10. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

I can't find any ssd for late 2013 or mid 2014 macbook pro retina

only early 2013 .. are they the same?

11. Meister Suspended

Meister

?

Are you trying to buy a brand new rmbp and stick a third party ssd in it?
    Thats not possible.

12. capathy21 macrumors 65816

capathy21

They do not make them yet. Apple uses a PCIe blade SSD. They should eventually be available through a 3rd party but are not currently available. Pretty much everything in the 2013 and newer Mac Book's is soldered down and not upgradable.

13. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

Why not? The cost from 128gb to 256gb from apple almost equal to a third party 480gb

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

listen to capathy. It's not possible at this point in time.
    Even the OWC are very expensive and I think getting the ssd size from :apple: when you buy is best.

You need to look up pcie and sata.

15. ahmedouvix thread starter macrumors member

ahmedouvix

That's not good .. I decided to get get MBPr with 16gb ram since the ram isn't upgradeable and upgrade the 128gb later. but now I think i will get the 8gb ram with 256ssd and 128gb jetdrive lite for media files :/

----------

I will get the 256gb and 8gb ram from apple then .. A laptop for high usage users and can't be upgraded by user :/

16. Meister Suspended

Meister

the nMP s for high usage users. And its fully upgradeable.
    Laptops are not upgradeable in 2014. But they are more portable than ever!

17. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

That's not really correct. The nMP is the least upgradeable Mac Pro ever... You can change RAM, but that's it right now. You cannot buy a PCIe storage upgrade later, or a graphics upgrade, not even from Apple. Only at time of purchase can you pick and choose. OWC has proven that you can change the CPU, but with a very limited (and expensive) field of opportunities available.

The desktop Macs have turned into what laptops have been for a long time; buy new as supposed to upgrade computers.

18. Meister, Aug 5, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2014

Meister Suspended

Meister

you could add a gpu and ssd via thundebolt.

19. Killerbob macrumors 6502a

Theoretically you can add a new GPU via TB2, but pratically it will be slower than the D300s in the low spec nMP. The bandwidth, even in TB2, is much to little to do intensive graphics work. As for adding SSDs via TB2 that's correct, but that's true for any laptops/desktops.

20. Meister Suspended

Meister

i just looked this up again and I was right: The nMP is entirely upgradeable.
    The upgrade parts are just not commonly sold at this point in time.
    This will change.

21. Killerbob macrumors 6502a