13" MBP - Is there a PC version of this fabled laptop?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Neutral Gamer, Feb 26, 2008.

1. Neutral Gamer macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

I know there's a lot of people in the Mac Rumors forums who have been waiting for a 13" version of the MBP but alas Apple shows no sign of delivering this much desired machine.

So I ask you, is there a PC laptop or laptops currently out there that would compare to it? As in, as powerful as a MBP, and most importantly of all, a dedicated graphics card at least as powerful as the current NVIDIA cards? Or is it just not possible to put a decent graphics card in such a small enclosure?

Cos it sure would be tempting ... (of course it would have to look pretty cool as well!)

2. Blanz macrumors member

3. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

nope. 8800m WOULD NOT FIT. try 8400

4. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

The Dell m1330 is your best bet. Thin and light, 13" LED screen w/ webcam, 2.6 GHz processor, 4 GB RAM, 200 GB 7200 RPM HDD or 64 GB SSD, 128 MB nVidia GeForce 8400M GS, 802.11n wireless, DVD+/-RW, mobile broadband, bluetooth, etc. Price: goes up to approx $2250 depending on configuration.

I'm sure there are others that are similar, the Sony Vaio SZ comes to mind, but you'll have to shop around. And obviously lose OS X.

-Ado

5. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

QFT. i was seriously considering getting this XPS but i decided to get MBP 15in cause i want more schrren and better graphics. oh and os x...

6. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Closest you'll find would likely be the Dell XPS1330..

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo T9500 (2.6GHz/800Mhz FSB/6MB cache)
    13.3" LED Display (1280x800)
    4GB PC2-5300 RAM
    200GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive
    CD/DVD burner
    128MB NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 8400M GS

You can probably find other options from more esoteric pc builders but that's what I'd guess as your mainstream option.

Now the only question is... Why god, Whyyyyyy

7. Neutral Gamer thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neutral Gamer

Yep, the Dell and Sony models seem to be the closest. It's just their graphics cards that prevent them from being perfect but I suppose space and heat is the issue with the manufacturers just not being able to produce that powerful card for that small a laptop.

By the way I doubt I'd ever buy one of them myself; the 15" MBP is close enough and good enough for me in terms of its power and portability ratio. Also Mac OS is a big plus along with the design and Apple brand.

The main reason I wanted to ask was because people keep complaining on these forums that Apple never release the 13" MBP that they've all longed for. If other PC manufacturers HAD created the laptop they all crave then I could understand their anguish and they'd have a legitimate reason to be frustated. However as no one else in the industry seems to have done it then it appears to be just a pipe dream; some kind of Holy Grail laptop as it were.

Considering that Apple managed to defy engineering constraints when creating the awesomely thin MacBook Air, then I wouldn't be surprised if one day they too became the forebearers of a future, very small but very graphically powerful laptop. After all they managed to coerce Intel into producing a unique, smaller size processor for the MBA, maybe they could apply the same pressure on Nvidia and ATI?

Keep hoping ... :)