13" MBP/MB or Asus UL30Vt or Toshiba Protege r705

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JustsomedudeIRL, Aug 7, 2010.

1. JustsomedudeIRL macrumors member

I'm looking to buy a new laptop for college and would appreciate some outside opinions. The four I have narrowed it down to are the Apple 13" Macbook Pro or Macbook, Asus UL30Vt, and the Toshiba Protege r705. I can obtain each for $1100, $950, $720, and $800 respectively. (included in the Apple products price would be a printer and 8gb iPod Touch)

My following needs are pretty basic:

• Easily Portable
    • Long Battery Life
    • Basic Use i.e. writing, browsing, and music
    • Long Lasting (at least 4 years)
    • Netflix and Hulu

*This would be my first Apple

2. Hisdem macrumors 6502a

Hisdem

Since your needs are pretty basic, I would suggest the MB. However, in terms of cosmetic durability, I think the MBP will perform better. Plus it has awesome battery life and power. :)

3. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

the asus without a doubt. but instead of that model take a look at the new asus u35. it seems really great with an i5 and 11.5 hours of battery with discrete graphics.

from what i read asus currently has a lesser failure rate as a manufacturor then even apple.

4. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

11.5 hours my butt. It is pretty much using the same materials as the new Bamboo U33JC which gets an average of 5-6 hours which isn't bad. Either MB or MBP will get 7-8 hours of good usage.

No denying the discrete graphics though. Optimus autographics switching as well. Very good for gaming. Just keep in mind NO OPTICAL DRIVE. I am personally suggesting the U35 Asus over the MB or MBP for my brother because he is a gamer.

For everyone else, MB or MBP will prob be the better choice. The MBP isn't a bad gamer in Boot Camp though.

5. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

the base macbook pro for you 100% it will last as long as you need it to, pending you do not throw it into a pool or run it over with a car =D its an ak 47 although i would argue close =D hahah

6. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

MBP. It is durable, has a ridiculous battery, runs OS X, is great to use, has a better CPU than either of the windows options, as well as more memory capacity (if you ever need it), has actually a decent IGP, and will last you quite some time.

7. Corndog5595 macrumors 65816

If you don’t plan on having lots of money in the future, don’t get either Mac. You will never be able to go back and that can be a problem sometimes :/

8. chris2k5 macrumors 6502a

I'm a Mac fanboy but you gotta give credit where it is due. The R705 does have a better CPU. The Core i5 it can be equipped with is a beast.

9. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

could you explain that one?

well it is the asus advertised battery length. real life will be shorter of course, but then again the MBP13 has an advertised length of 10 hours and also doesnt make that and yet it's used as a selling point all the time.

10. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

i have had my macbook for 4 years now, and it has the plastic shell, c2d processor a almost non existent graphics card, decent ram and it still runs as smooth as the day i bought it and yes i do use it=D i have dled over 4k songs and a few dozen movies, and have edited hours upon hours of full 1080 p video. You can say what you want about any and every other brand but those cheap plastic cases, and terribly designed SUPER cheap track pads that feel like they are from 1992, and all the random and excessive buttons that mac conveniently forgot =D haha i will give hp some credit at a first glance they are starting to look like a macbook =D

i just could not imagine wanting to buy a lasting product and buying a pc brand of about anything >_< lol

also note because i am sure as you scroll through all of the posts on here theres issue after issue, but thats what this is for =D haha of how many million labtops sold each year they have how many hundreds/thousands faulty? not bad if you ask me =D and they seem to stand behind there product (never had issue to need assistance)

11. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

well the toshiba r705 he is looking at has a black magnesium alloy body which personally i find pretty attractive. it has a matte brushed look that makes me wish MBP's were black.

It's also advertised as being durable enough to withstand being dropped on the floor and through glass tables, it just has intel IGP though.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/07/12/toshiba-protege-r705-review/

i had been looking at it too as well as the r700 but igp only made me doubt. for a non gamer it seems great though.

12. JustsomedudeIRL thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies. It is good to see every laptop represented in the opinions. While that doesn't make my choice any easier, it does give me greater peace of mind for when I make my purchase.

Let me give you a run down of why I'm interested in each; pros and cons.

Macbook Pro
    + I'm in love with the screen
    - I have no need for the added features that come with the extra cost

Macbook (most of these apply to the MBP)
    + Very solid construction
    + Great feeling track pad (I haven't used one for years and already like it)
    + Great chiclet keyboard
    + I've always liked the white Apple products
    + 16x10 display (my preference)
    + OSX UI visuals
    - Slightly expensive when compared to my other choices in terms of hardware
    - I'm unfamiliar with Apple software excluding iTunes

Asus UL30Vt
    I haven't had hands on experience with this product
    + Great Price
    + Good Warranty: 2 year + 1 year accidental
    + Switchable graphics (not sure if it is something I'd use/need though)
    - No optical drive (I've been dealing with this situation for 2 years now)
    - I currently have an Asus netbook which makes me weary of buying another Asus (it still runs but is falling apart badly)

Toshiba Protege r705
    + Decent Price
    + Well built and very light
    + Optical drive unlike the Asus
    - Best Buy exclusive
    - Battery life isn't quite as good as my other choices
    - Trackpad and chiclet keyboard weren't as quite as nice as the Macbooks

Given that, I'm currently leaning towards the Asus UL30Vt and the Macbook. The Asus UL30vt offers everything I need and at such a cheap price, although I did tell myself I would never by another laptop that doesn't have a built in optical. The one thing that is making the Macbook so tempting is knowing I could sell my iPod touch for around $150 which would make the Macbook $800. All the while, I'd be kicking myself for missing out on the Macbook Pros gorgeous glass display. Choices...

13. stefan1975 macrumors 6502a

why would you choose the "older" (2009) asus ul30vt over the new models u35 and u45, which imho are better and faster?

did you use a mbp for some time? i tried it often and after a while the glare and reflection of the awful glassplate always make my head ache. of the two 13"ers i would probably go for the white MB for the lack of glass alone, even though the backlit keyboard and the 2gb additional ram are nice.

the toshiba r600 and r700 are also pretty impressive (i love the magnesium and the promo videos where they demostrate the ruggedness), but the whole line lacks a real GPU and use intel integrated graphics.

14. JustsomedudeIRL thread starter macrumors member

Ah, yes, I failed to even notice there were newer Asus U-series models. Those appear much better. I'm particularly interested in the U45 because it does come with an optical drive. On the other had, at $880 I feel more inclined to go the Macbook route because I have had hands on experience. I can't coerce myself to spend $880 based solely off others impressions.

To answer your question about the Macbook Pro screen, I haven't spent a lot of time on it but did notice some excessive glare. Still, it seems like the perfect movie viewer assuming you don't have to deal with background light sources reflecting off the glass.

I have come across a 10% off coupon for Best Buy meaning I could get the Toshiba Protege r705 for $720. You can knock it all you want for only having Intel HD graphics, but as far as I'm aware that handles HD content just fine.

So now I'm at this point:

Toshiba Protege r705 for $720
    Apple Macbook for $800 (assuming I could sell the iPod touch for $150)

The reason I'm excluding any Asus is that I'm unable to get hands on time with any of the U30/35/45 models. I've checked all my local stores but to no avail. At least I feel like I am making progress.

15. imetazoa macrumors member

imetazoa

there is also a printer rebate promotion going on right now... so you could also sell the printer for another $50 or so to bring your price down to $750

16. brianfast macrumors regular

17. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

the toshiba is a good looking, durable laptop. The best part is..it weighs about 3lbs! It also lasts for 4-4.5 hours. If you don't need dedicated graphics, I would personally choose Toshiba R705. In fact, if you go for the R700, you will also get 3 years warranty. The screen though, is not as good as the MBP's.

18. newbiemacguy128 macrumors regular

I agree with the others. Unless you really want OSX, i wouldn't get an apple. The expense, especially for a college student just isn't practical. Get a cheaper windows box and when you graduate and have money, get the apple computer of your dreams =P.

19. JustsomedudeIRL thread starter macrumors member

I appreciate all the responses. I've taken some careful thought and decided I'm probably going to go with my initial interest, the white 13" Macbook. Knowing that I only have to spend about $800 (after rebates and selling an iPod touch) to get one and a printer is something I can't refuse. If circumstances were different, and I'd have to pay $1000 for the Macbook, I would most definitely go with the $800 Toshiba Protege r705.

I will post in this thread once I've purchased my laptop, no matter which, with impressions so your help wasn't in vain.

20. macjunk(ie) macrumors 6502a

in your position, i would have done the same! 800 is a good effective price for the MBP 13...