13" MBP on-the-go: Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000: Leave Nano transceiver plugged in?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by doxavita, May 17, 2011.

1. doxavita macrumors 6502a

I have a Wireless Mobile Mouse 4000, which comes with a Nano Transceiver: http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Wir...UUKU/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1305662952&sr=8-8

It's a really small USB receiver. My question is, should I leave it plugged in when carrying my MBP around? Is that safe to do, or is there a risk of breaking it. The Nano Transceiver itself, is kind of hard to pull out, so it would be better if it was safe to leave it plugged in. (According to the box, it's fine to leave plugged in, but I want to know what you think...)

2. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

It should not hurt anything but will likely draw power, how much I have no clue.

4. doxavita thread starter macrumors 6502a

It wouldn't really break, would it? I guess the bad reviews I read were some rare exceptions...

5. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Wrong forums. And you're worrying over things that will never happen.
    It says so on Amazon itself:

6. Ladybug macrumors 65816

Ladybug

The nano transceiver part is so tiny it will not protrude so there should be no danger of breaking it. Just be careful when slipping it in and out of your bag and it should be ok.

7. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Sadly, those receivers are marketed as not sticking out but they do. I suspect if you check you'll see a decent amount of it sticking out, probably a little less than a quarter inch. While the receiver itself may be built to stick out I wonder if your MacBook's USB ports were designed for that kind of stress?

Honestly, I think you should take the mouse back and get a bluetooth mouse. The receiver is built in to the laptop, so there's no issues, no software, no hassles. The selection and prices of bluetooth mice have improved a lot in the last few years so unless you are super picky you should be able to find one you like.

I've got an old Logitech here that has worked well over bluetooth since 2007. But, when I got this MBP I pretty much stopped using it since the trackpad is so good. But, I understand if you do need a mouse to go.

8. Rhyalus macrumors 6502

Rhyalus

I bought one of the more expensive Logitech keyboard / mouse sets, and there is a little receiver that plugs into the USB.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/349/6072?WT.ac=ps|6248

It is REALLY small and certainly could be left in while transporting the laptop.

HOWEVER, my computer has woken from sleep a few times, and this told me that it was the EHC that was waking it up.

http://osxdaily.com/2010/07/17/why-mac-wakes-from-sleep/

I am using this setup as a temporary desktop replacement, so to prevent wakeup, I have been shutting down at night.

Your mileage may vary....

R

9. fibrizo macrumors 6502

fibrizo