13" MBP to Dell monitor - DVI-D vs DisplayPort

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Cassady, May 16, 2014.

1. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Hello all,

Would really appreciate some advice on this.

Managed to pick up this Dell monitor, at a very nice discount.
    I slipped up in not focusing on the inputs - mistakenly assuming DisplayPort was the same as HDMI [don't ask!]...

I have my office (Dell) monitor setup with the DVI-D cable, through a Mini-Display Port <> DVI adaptor, and it works.

My question - should I rather try and get my new monitor working through the DisplayPort cable, or is DVI-D still ok-ish?

DisplayPort is not that common around these parts. HDMI obviously is - and I'm still finding plenty of DVI-D connectors.

What should I do?

1.) Another MDport<>DVI adapter + 0.5m (1.6ft) DVI cable;

2.) 3m (9.8ft) MDport male to DVI male cable - which will presumably simply slot in from my MBP's mini-display port, straight into the back of the monitor, with no adapter being required; [I can only source a 3m cable -- nothing shorter! :( ]

3.) MDport<>HDMI adapter + HDMI<>HDMI cable + HDMI<>DVI converter...

The latter appears to be the only way I will be able to utilise the HDMI cable. I cannot find either a HDMI<>DVI or HDMI<>DisplayPort cable, at least not locally.
    So obviously, whereas I will be able to use HDMI, I'd need to jump through two adapter/converters...

The 2nd option is most appealing -- less adapters BUT, as mentioned, I'll be stuck with a cumbersome(?) 3m cable... Sure I can roll it up I guess...

Any advice on the difference, if any, between DVI-D direct, DVI-D via a converter, or HDMI through multiple converters -- will be appreciated.

Oh - and won't be using this for any gaming. Occasional movie, but mostly writing based work/research, want the real estate for side-by-side stuff...

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

The Macbook Pro has a minidisplayport, is this correct?

The new Dell monitor has a displayport, is this correct?

If BOTH of the above are correct, then the answer is simple:
    Get a minidisplayport-to-displayport cable and use it that way.

3. Cassady, May 16, 2014
    Last edited: May 16, 2014

Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

13" MBP to Dell monitor - DVI-D vs DisplayPort

Correct and correct.

Problem is, I cannot source (locally) a minidisplayport<>displayport cable. I can only find a mini display<>DVI-D cable...

Will that still be better than the other options, with adapters?

4. raptor402 macrumors 6502

A miniDP to displayport will be the best option, no doubt. However, if that's not possible, either option 1 or option 2 will do. The advantage of a miniDP to DVI-D will be that there will be less bulk on the laptop end, but at the cost of additional cable length. You can weigh the pros and cons with availability and price in consideration. Don't go for option 3 at all.

Best of luck
    Raptor

5. Cassady thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Appreciate the reply.

The 3m MDport<>DVI-D will work out more expensive (locally) than a 2m DisplayPort cable AND MDport<>DisplayPort adapter... So will probably go for the latter - one less metre will also make it a bit easier to store etc...

Thanks again.