13" MBP vs 13" MBA for psychology student at university

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by EatsRainbows, Jun 15, 2011.

1. EatsRainbows macrumors newbie

Hi, im new to the mac world, having used PC's my whole life. Im in my second year of uni, and my PC is getting pretty long in the tooth, so i thought, hey why not go for a MacBook?

Im torn between the 13" 2.13GHz MBA with 4Gb RAM and 256Gb SSD, and the 13" MBP with 2.7Ghz, 8Gb RAM and 500 or 750Gb HD.

Most of my activities while on my laptop are web surfing, downloading and watching multiple TV series, movies, and music, and writing and researching essays.

your opinions would be a big help. thanks.

also im contemplating purchasing a Colcasac sleeve for the one i choose, has anyone had any experience with them?

2. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Looks like you're one to move around and do light work on the computer. I would go for the MBA but that's just me. The 13" 2.13ghz model would be more than enough for the usage you've described. Personally though, I would wait for the refresh of the Airs and then make my choice. Good luck.

http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/

3. Apple Expert macrumors 65816

Go for the base MBP (i5) and add the ssd and memory yourself. You will save some money and get a faster system than the MBA.

4. EatsRainbows thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for the fast replies guys.

I wont have the cash for a couple of months so ill wait and see what the specs of the new MBA's are and how they match up to the MBP. :)

What are the best sleeves in your opinions?

5. ann713 macrumors 6502a

Go for reputable brands such as Incase, Booq and Speck.

A popular one among this forum is the Incase Sleeve. My personal favorite is the 'TrimSleeve' case: http://www.speckproducts.com/macbook-air-case-13-trimsleeve.html

6. EatsRainbows thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you again :)

Now i have to play the waiting game

7. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

When making a decision of minor importance, I have always found it advantageous to consider all the pros and cons. In vital matters, however, such as the choice of a mate or a profession, the decision should come from the unconscious, from somewhere within ourselves. In the important decisions of personal life, we should be governed, I think, by the deep inner needs of our nature.