13" MBP w/500GB HDD vs 13" MBA w/ 128GB SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by madrona, Aug 2, 2011.

1. madrona macrumors newbie

All,

This is my first post on this forum, and I am on the verge of buying my first Mac. I've been surfing the site for a number of weeks and thought you may be able to help me with my decision on what Mac laptop to purchase. Here is what I am thinking (these two computers are around the same price):

13" MacBook Pro w/ 500 GB HDD
    Pros:
    - 2.7GHz Dual-core Intel Core i7 processor
    - Built-in Superdrive
    - FireWire (my wife has a 20" iMac G4 so I was thinking of using ScreenRecycler to make it a 2nd screen, and connecting it with FireWire)
    Cons:
    - No SSD

13" MacBook Air w/ 128 GB SSD (plus I'll buy a SuperDrive)
    Pros:
    - SSD rather than HDD. I can use my external HD for additional storage
    - Weight
    Cons:
    - No FireWire, so I'd have to use Screen Recycler through an ethernet port. (which would take one of the USB slots).

I am torn between the two computers. Any thoughts? And, would the iMac G4 function well as a 2nd screen with these computers? I know I'm missing out on the AMD Radeon HD graphics card, but not sure if this would make or break my ability to use Screen Recycler.

Thanks!

2. egi macrumors newbie

well the MBA certainly would seem snappier because of the SSD and mostly the extra horsepower of the MBP wouldn't even be noticable, unless your doing some rendering/compressing etc.

keep in mind the MBA has only 2 usb (so does MBP) ports and using one as ethernet port would leave you with only 1 left.

might I ask why you chose the top end MBP 13 with 2.7ghz i5 ? my choice here would be to go with the base model and buy an SSD, which would make the MBP superior to MBA.

3. akhbhaat macrumors regular

Get the base model MBP with a 128 GB SSD. The i7 processor is a very expensive upgrade which offers only marginal performance improvements, and certainly won't compare to an SSD-equipped system in overall day-to-day performance. Then you'll have a faster machine (in every respect) than the MBA plus the Superdrive and the ports.

4. madrona thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the comments!

I hadn't considered the base model MBP. I guess the faster i7 processor appealed to me, but given that the improvements will only be marginal, I think you just made my decision for me. Thanks!

Do you think running the 2nd screen through firewire (with Screen Recycler) will have lots of lag?