13" MBP with coffee spilled on keyboard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by merlyn412, Aug 11, 2011.

1. merlyn412 macrumors member

wondering if anybody here would like to chime in on the following. I'm looking to buy a 13" MBP on the cheap, and i'm looking at one that has had coffee spilled on the keyboard.

Test driving the machine, everything seems to work fine - except the keyboard (so I tested with a usb keyboard). USB ports, display port, optical drive, WIFI - all seem to be OK.

It's a base 2010 13" MBP. $500.

Thoughts? I'm fairly apt at fixing electronics. I feel confident in being able to replace the keyboard, but wonder if there is a chance they coffee may have damaged the logic board.

2. Tiki35 macrumors 6502

There is a very good chance the spill damaged the logic board and that problems will arise in the future. Also, the keyboard is not replaceable on that model without replacing the whole upper case.

P.S. Hey neighbour, I am on the island in Nanoose Bay.

3. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

+1

For $200, sure. At $500? No way.

4. YEEZY macrumors member

Pour enough cup to cancel out the last pour.

IF you buy this, realize that problems will come up faster than normal because of the damaged keyboard. It's the classic rule of "you get what you pay for".

5. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

You can replace the keyboard but you have to unscrew 50-100 screws. But like the others said, the logic board is probally bad. I have seen the keyboard connectors that get soldered to the motherboard sold on ebay but that would require good soldering skills and it might not even work.

6. Young Spade macrumors 68020

You're taking a chance.

1) The spill didn't just get on the keyboard, it got on the other things inside the machine as well. This might cause problems later in the future.

2) Is the machine under warranty? If so, it isn't anymore. Apple doesn't cover things that are affected by user error. Dropping and breaking, spills, etc.

If something goes wrong in the future you'll have to shell out to fix it.

Dont' get it; if you want to save money, get a good used 2010 one for a little bit more.

7. merlyn412 thread starter macrumors member

Nanoose Bay? I was in Parksville last month with the family.

Thanks for all the great advice. Will not buy this machine, I really was tempted, but you have all affirmed my fears.