13" Mid-2009 MBP (5,5) sudden issues with SSD (Crucial M500)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gblackwo, Feb 10, 2014.

1. gblackwo macrumors newbie

All,

In december I upgraded my machine with a 240gb Crucial M500. My machine already had the 1.7 EFI. It worked fine for a little over two months, until last week. I was doing some development work which involved the creation and deletion of several gigs of data in a short period of time. At this point, my machine froze with the spinning animation (not the beach ball). After that, upon booting up my main partition would not load. I checked it from the recovery partition and it had a bunch of errors that could not be fixed. I backed the machine up and have been trying to troubleshoot the system all week. Here are the main symptoms:

• Was unable to repair or format the SDD internally
    • Formatted the drive externally no problem
    • Moved it back to internal, booted with Mavericks usb and attempted to install. Installation failed almost immediately with the inability to create an installation folder on the drive
    • Made the drive external, booted again with the Mavericks usb, formatted no problem, installed Mavericks no problem

I found some big threads here about 2009 MBP's and SSD's and how some people switch back to 1.6 firmware for 1.5gbps sata speeds. Some people replace their sata cable.

I have some ideas, but what makes the most sense?:

• Is it likely that my SATA cable has gone bad even after working fine for two months? Could those large transfers I was doing before failure really have cause damage to the cable?
    • I had not used the trim hack to enable trim in Mavericks, I was under the (mis?)understanding that this wasn't necessary anymore. The M500 is supposed to have internal garbage collection. Could not having trim have caught up with me and caused these issues?
    • Should I really downgrade to firmware 1.6 even though it worked fine for two months?

I'm leaning towards trying to replace the SATA cable, I just wanted to get some second opinions too since I've already been at this for a week. Thanks for the help.

2. gblackwo thread starter macrumors newbie

3. guineaphinea macrumors newbie

Mid-2012 Macbook Pro here...had the same problems you had. I replaced my SATA cable last week and all was well once again!