Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fouracre44

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 6, 2012
Hi guys,

So in looking at a new macbook pro, I decided that a 13" Macbook Pro would suffice for my computing needs. To be honest, I'm not ready to give up all my hard drive space and I still do want an optical drive ( obviously I can do without them ) but my machine doesn't have to be completely and fully portable.

I leave my machine on my desk and I do move it into the lounge room occasionally. So this machine should do fine.

Will apple leave the macbook pro's without the retina screen, and update them with Haswell Processors? Or should I not get a macbook pro and get an imac?

I'm a little lost.

Cheers guys

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its anyone's guess at this point. The only way we'll know for sure is to see what gets rolled out.

Even when that happens the old models will still be available so if you don't like what you see with the newer models, grab the Ivy Bridge model.

anthdci

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2009
i very much doubt apple will stop selling the macbook pros without retina, the 13" cMBP is their top seller.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
i very much doubt apple will stop selling the macbook pros without retina, the 13" cMBP is their top seller.
everyone keeps bringing this, but they killed the mb, they could have just used the mbp 13 mobo on it, but they chose to kill it.

they have killed best selling products on their ipod line as well, and thats where the major revenue is along with ipad and iphone

basically they dont have any problems killing a product that is selling well or even their best seller

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I'd say you have another year, 3 tops, before Apple fully replaces the cMPB line. This will likely come with cost reduction as well, however it's doubtful that they'll produce non-rMBP after that.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
basically they dont have any problems killing a product that is selling well or even their best seller
But finish the rest of the story... Apple might kill good movers but they're typically also the lowest priced products thereby forcing you to spend more.

I don't think "price" is the reason that keeps Apple from killing the cMBP. I believe they fear the fallout from people who still like to upgrade their machines with cheap storage and memory (vs. the sealed rMBP). The cMBP has at least one more round left. When SSD prices drop even more and Apple can price 16GB RAM upgrades more "sanely" then perhaps they'll do away with it.

renosausage

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2012
Apple just recently cut the price of the 13inch Macbook pro $100 under an education discount.

Soo to say that they would suddenly stop making them is probably a long shot.

I think you would see the Macbook Air and iMac get a retina display before the Non Retina models are no longer produced.

The price points are not as crazy as people make them out to be.

A Base price 15" cMBP is 1800 right now. That comes with 4gigs of ram and a 500 gb HDD.

If you upgrade this machine to the same specs as the Base 15" rMBP they actually end up costing the same price of 2200.

The only difference at that point is the cosmetics, CD Drive, and Retina Screen.

So, at this point I hight doubt apple will scratch the cMBP. It just fits their pricing scale perfecting.

If they do scratch it, I'm taking a bet that the Macbook Air with retina screen will replace them at the same price points.

Mr MM

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2011
But finish the rest of the story... Apple might kill good movers but they're typically also the lowest priced products thereby forcing you to spend more.

I don't think "price" is the reason that keeps Apple from killing the cMBP. I believe they fear the fallout from people who still like to upgrade their machines with cheap storage and memory (vs. the sealed rMBP). The cMBP has at least one more round left. When SSD prices drop even more and Apple can price 16GB RAM upgrades more "sanely" then perhaps they'll do away with it.

you mean the initial threads complaining about the rmbp, that are now mostly gone? people adapt and in the WE adapt to apple products, its not the other way around here.

when you make a basically non upgradeable DESKTOP, and people keep complaining about I cant use a caddy on the ODD! its clear to me that there are:

1) people that dont care at all
2) people that complain about changing things are not what apple is in for, nor will be

I dont really think that the cmbp has one more round left, and I remember all those complaints when the unibody entered, when they kill it, this forum will be impossible for a couple of weeks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.