13" rMBP... 8GB 1-3 days. 16GB 3-4 weeks!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by terzinator, Nov 14, 2013.

1. terzinator macrumors 6502

Ordered a couple 15" and a 13" for work, and the 15" units arrived pretty quickly. Asked when we'd see the 13" and the Apple biz person said they were seeing delays on the 13" units.

I configured one on the apple site, and it looks like it's the RAM that's holding things back. An 8GB configuration says 1-3 days, but if you change the RAM to 16GB, it changes the delivery date to 3-4 weeks!

What's the deal with that?

2. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Apparently there is a shortage of 13" rMBP 16GB Ram chips

3. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

RAM is soldered to the motherboard. When you order a BTO model, the worker grabs a chassis, then goes to the bin for the CPU speed & RAM combination you ordered. Right now, all the bins for boards with 16 GB of RAM are empty. The manufacturing plants that do the soldering have to make up new batches with 16 GB on them.

Once these logic boards are back in stock, the workers who assemble the BTO models can grab them from the bins and continue work.

Did you guys think they soldered the extra RAM on individually?

4. crizal macrumors newbie

Maybe a silly question, but I was wondering, if it is possible that the waiting period for individual rMBP 13" might be shortened before 3-4 weeks. I just wanted to get me one today, but this one month thing is pretty bad for me. I even thought of getting a 15", but this also would be a little unnecessary, even though it sounds very good. :)

I am not that a big Apple follower, so that I don't know if it has been seen that such waiting periods were instantly back to normal in the past. Whether it is worth to wait for a few days.

Thanks!

5. Breedlove macrumors regular

It's been like this for over a week now.
    Don't know how it will be going forward.

6. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

I also wanted the 16GB model for future proofing, guess I'm glad was able to get a sealed unit with the 2.8/16/1TB off Ebay today!:)

7. PDFierro macrumors 68040

It's been like this for a week already. I really hope they ship before 3-4 weeks, but I'm planning for the worst.

8. T-Bob macrumors 6502

T-Bob

Looks like too many people been reading the get 16GB ram thread! Blame them for shortage.

9. PDFierro macrumors 68040

I doubt that has anything to do with it.

10. jz- macrumors regular

Or blame Apple for not stocking enough to meet demand?

11. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

Where is your sense of humor? :) I guess many machines are being purchased with that spec, probably Apple was not expecting such a demand for the 16GB option.

12. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Maybe. Or they could really just have a part shortage for unknown reasons. It sucks, I bided my time thinking about my configuration and was ready to order. But now I won't have my rMBP until December.