13' rMBP + Thunderbolt Monitor or 15' rMPB + Thunderbolt Monitor

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by angelide99, Oct 26, 2012.

1. angelide99 macrumors newbie

Hi

I need a bit of advice. I am upgrading from my old Macbook Pro, as it is beginning to die after six years.

Do I go for the top spec rMBP 13' or the lower spec rMBP 15'. The complicating factor is I am also going to get a Thunderbolt monitor at the same time and I don't know what the implications of the 13' not having a seperate GPU will be.

I would like to do a bit of gaming / photography, but I might also need to cart it around a bit.

Any advice would be very much welcome

Thanks

2. br3nt macrumors member

if it's gaming, i would go for the 15" and trying to atleast use 16gb ram.. editing software usually eats RAM

edit: what kind of gaming?

3. angelide99 thread starter macrumors newbie

Probably a bit of WOW / Aperture - nothing particularly heavy.

Having spent the last three hours on the forum, what I had not realised is that the 13' rMBP only has a dual-core (I had presumed that the i5 chipset was the same).

The top end 13' rMBP is now looking very expensive when compared to the entry 15' rMBP. Apart from the weight there seems to be very little going for it....

4. br3nt macrumors member

i would go for the 15"... don't like the 13 at all, specially because of the performance/price ratio.

However, im just setting up bootcamp to start gaming again... played LoL on windows about a year ago. Haven't really got much time anymore :p
    Anyway, can't really speak on what minimum requirement for games is nowadays but if you plan on having the computer for a couple of years you sure will be happy you have a discrete gfx card.

just doing photo editing and not large RAW batches you shouldn't really worry about the CPU... sure it may take a minute more but unless you feel that every second counts, don't make it your main point for choosing the setup :)

hope this helped a little

5. angelide99 thread starter macrumors newbie