13" TB MBP & AC+ or 15" TB MBP (no AC+) or 13" TB MBP (no AC+)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by shyam09, May 26, 2018.

  1. shyam09 macrumors 68020

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #1
    I'm attending grad school this fall, and will be in the market for a new laptop. My last laptop was a 2010 13" MBP, which I gave to my dad around 2014-15. That clocked in at 4.5 lbs IIRC.

    I've been set on the idea of getting a 13" TB MBP, and only recently decided to throw in AC+ (why not). That's about $2.1k total. For $300 more, I can get a 15" model with superior specs [looking at the 2017 models as comparison]. I'll be leaning towards buying the 2018 models, of course, if they get released during WWDC.

    The screen size (and weight) is the main thing that attracts me towards the 15". I can get a larger device that weighs less than what I used to carry around. On the flip side, it's an extra pound in the backpack when compared to the 13". I didn't get a chance to trial run the 15", but I have used the 13" and it's fine for my use.

    My main concern in the battery life though. I have read that folks with the 2017 15" MBPs have experienced a superior battery life (close to Apple's 10 hours) versus 5-6 hrs on the 13" TB MBP.

    It leaves me with 3 options (I do like having the TB) -

    1. 13" TB MBP w/ AC+ ($2070)
    2. 13" TB MBP w/o AC+ ($1800)
    3. 15" TB MBP w/o AC+ ($2400)
     
  2. Glmnet1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2017
    #2
    What do you intend to do with it? If it's just for note taking and writing essays then get the 13" with AC+. It'll be lighter and you don't need the additional specs.

    If you intend to do more with it and need the additional specs then you should consider the 15" but you should get AC+ for it too. I read quite a few horror stories about the keyboard failing and out of warranty it cost ~$700 to fix... Maybe this will change with the 2018 models and I agree that you should wait for WWDC.
     
  3. chscag macrumors 68030

    chscag

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2008
    Location:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    #3
    Good advice above. Wait for the 2018 models to be announced. Apple already has 2 class actions suits to deal with because of the keyboard problem that has already been mentioned. Even with Apple Care Plus in effect, you don't want to have to deal with keyboard problems that could deprive you of your machine for long periods of time, or going thru the motions of getting the machine swapped out.
     
  4. shyam09 thread starter macrumors 68020

    shyam09

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2010
    #4
    Thank you both for the advice. I'll be getting the 2018 model for sure, it's just a matter of which size.

    As of now, the only thing I will be doing is research papers (I'll be taking notes on my iPad). I'll go with the 13".
     

Share This Page