13 vs. 14 in a minimum wage kitchen job

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, May 20, 2011.

1. 63dot, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I was working in a kitchen as a part time job that worked in a cafeteria, and a war broke out between two different kitchen staff shifts.

Most of us in this part time job are either college students, or older folk who work to make spare change in this sluggish economy and nobody makes more than ten dollars an hour.

The later shift I worked with had a former Hispanic gang member (now totally reformed and all around great assistant manager) who belonged to the 13s or 14s and we worked together really well. I was one of the older folk there with no affiliation and the others were young college students with no affiliations I know of.

However, the earlier shift were the other gang, the gang with the other bandana color, so to speak, and they had it in their mind to want to man our shift too. Also it didn't help that the owner of the business is of a different race and they feel pressured to hire only Hispanic people, or else. Logic would say if all the workers are from the same nation, then things would be cool. The part where it gets explosive is that the two gangs, while mostly from the same country, are equally represented in our area and both very well armed. It's not a paintball match, but they treat it as such but with real weapons. Before long, somebody gets hurt or killed and it gets personal and there's no end to the cycle of violence.

After shooting up one of our houses, and threatening the rest of us, we all gave up our jobs, and they took both shifts.

I can't say it was over the stinking low pay, but more of a turf war to make a point. I live in a county that was the blue gang but is becoming red territory. All of us not in gangs got caught in the crossfire and it really pissed me off.

I am not asking for sympathy, but this California gang thing has gotten totally out of control. It was either show up to work carrying a handgun like some of the restaurant staff do, or quit. I quit. People with more experience told me to be in this business and not be Hispanic can be dangerous. I originally didn't heed the warnings, but now I know not to get into an industry that some "gang" affiliations. The ag industry and the construction industry in some areas have become pissing matches for the 13s vs. the 14s and people get killed on a regular basis.

Is this the restaurant business in California or am I just an old guy who does not understand today's youth and popular gang culture?:(

2. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If you want to survive in this world, you cannot allow yourself to be less violent than your surroundings.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I was with SF/intelligence community when I was younger and back then I would have used my training and cooked them up for dinner. But now at my age, with a cooler head and more peaceful points of view, I know just to walk away.

If the restaurant business here has become a battleground for the 13s and 14s, I say let them fight it out, kill each other or get arrested, and let me find a new part time job. I have no dog in this fight.

The cops are too scared to come over, and the restaurant company has known mob affiliations (but that really has no bearing on the 13s or 14s who will fight for any reason and most recently over an artichoke farm just for kicks).

4. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Wow. That's really messed up.

I'm thinking it's more of a California thing, gangs there are so out of control, at least that's what I see on NatGeo...

But yeah dude, you should complain to Human Resources or something. Chances are, the Hispanic gangs consist of illegal immigrants.

Don't let a bunch of low life gang bangers take control, YOU have to.

5. SuperCachetes macrumors 6502a

SuperCachetes

Kinda like "if you want to be heard in that crowded restaurant, you cannot allow yourself to be quieter than the people surrounding you." :rolleyes:

There's no shame in removing yourself from a situation like that IMHO. Good on ya for not getting caught up in it. That said, it sounds pretty messed up. My only experience with California restaurants is In-n-Out. :p

6. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Your right if he starts toting a gun and getting involved his odds of survival go waaay up :confused:.

7. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

If he had joined one of the gangs, he could have kept the job instead of getting in the crossfire and then have to leave.

8. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

Well - that rule can safely apply in Norway. :p

Obviously he has never been to Southern Cali - or he'd understand.

Seriously though - while I do not believe it is worth risking your life over - on the flip side of things - that was a victory for them. I see gang graffiti popping up where I live, no even art - just stupid ass tags. :rolleyes:

Any restaurant jobs open in Norway?

9. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

And in a year or two he could be dead, last time I checked gang membership doesn't correlate well with increased life expectancy :rolleyes:.

10. torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Ok, if your nick reflects your year of birth, I get your point ;)

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

living in California I'd say you live in a really scummy area if this what you have to deal with

12. torbjoern, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011

torbjoern macrumors 65816

torbjoern

Yes, there are, but none that are worth to kill or die for (I think).
    My point is that one can either become more violent (i.e. adjust) or change surroundings - it's one's own choice. I do not favour one option over the other.

13. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Take advantage of the out-of-work Americans situation and write your Congressperson and The White House - chances are they're hiring illegals not to mention the hostile work environment...

14. 63dot, May 20, 2011

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

per capita, Salinas, CA and the county seat and main feeder of the workforce (though not a big city per se) has one of the highest murder rates in the state.

I used to only believe people killing each other for the color of their hat, or over Nike Air Jordans, or over a fivespot was the territory of a New York, Chicago, or Los Angeles. Unfortunately, many mid-sized and smaller cities have become fertile ground for youth gangs.

Not only has the violence become more pronounced, the age of the perpetrators has become younger. I also don't think this recession with poor wages and having both parents (if there are two) working leaving kids alone has helped. The gangs give the lost a feeling of belonging to something bigger than them, and unfortunately it's the gangs. I do wish increased police protection, education programs, or religion would help, but they are hardly making a dent in the gang violence.

What seems just a couple of decades old with youth gun violence is probably much older and more pronounced in large cities and is probably why I never moved to one. Sometimes I think our system is broken in America and too many have used the right to bear arms as more of a right to be gangsters. It's surreal to see all the restaurant workers pack guns in their backpacks and hitch the bus while cops are out there busting homeless folk simply having a beer in the park or urinating behind a tree. Cops drive their cars in the nice areas and catch speeders while they largely ignore the gang infested areas and leave them as lost causes.

When I watch the national news, places outside of the well known California gang wars have their own violence in what I thought were unlikely areas such as Phoenix and Salt Lake City. I can't imagine a place in America anymore that hasn't gone gansta.

15. takao macrumors 68040

takao

so the gangs are fighting for some low paid job in a restaurant ? i have to say i'm sorry for you getting caught in such an plainly absurd situation

how did they get hired in the first place ?

16. 63dot, May 21, 2011

63dot

What it really is, when I talked to a girl who is connected (via her boyfriend) to the gang life, is that one gang will fight the other for anything, even when there is no monetary value.

It's kind of a turf war type of thing. It gets to the point that they will come up with a reason to fight each other.

I have known gardeners who were not gang affiliated who had their tools stolen, their vehicles vandalized, and basically threatened out of the business because a gang wanted to lay claim to that industry in that area. I would not be surprised if the gangs resort to protection rackets.

As for getting hired, I added that just now to the first post. But basically, you are in physical danger if you don't hire illegal aliens in a restaurant around here. Most are not gang members, but are hard working people who add to the community. But when one gang member gets in, then it's takeover time. There's a war out there few of us know about first hand, but when you see it happening to you and people you know, it's very scary.

17. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Personally, I'd never choose to live in such a place, willingly. Pack your bags and move. There are countless places in this country where the 'gangsta' lifestyle doesn't exist, where violence beyond the occasional domestic dispute barely exists. Life's too short, if you can't afford to live in the safe parts of CA, take a $50 bus ride to the midwest. If you're a good worker, there are plenty of decent paying jobs available, and cost of living is FAR lower.

18. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

The last place I worked had two gangs working there, filling the lower paying jobs.
    It was horrible.
    They worked to contribute to the gang and to hide money they made/acquired and for medical benefits.
    Not one of they seemed to be happy. Either that it was just an act.

19. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

I love California, but less so these days, and on the outside, the Monterey Peninsula looks like a nice and safe area to live in. It's beautiful, and it' steeped with history with Salinas, Cannery Row, and the John Steinbeck connection. However, violent crime is unusually high for a small area like this.

While Salinas, the only really mid-sized city and the biggest here where most of the gang members live, they work and find turf wars in the smaller surrounding towns like Monterey, Carmel, Pacific Grove, Castroville, Watsonville, Seaside, Marina, Carmel Valley, Carmel Highlands, Del Rey Oaks, Spreckles, Moss Landing, Pebble Beach, Big Sur, and other hamlets. I live in one of those nicer towns on that list and while the real estate has taken a huge hit, it ranks among the highest priced real estate in our country. But then again, per square foot the South Bronx is very pricey but it's not an ideal neighborhood.

California is basically owned by these two gangs and they have moved into Oregon and Washington.

20. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

to bad the cops can not do what my home town did when a gang tried to move in. They began targeting them endlessly for any and I mean ANY minor crime.

Got caught spitting on the sidewalk they would arrest them for public health hazard. This killed off the gang in fairly quickly in the area as they could not operated if they were spending a lot of time in jail.

Mind you to join this group it was shoot someone in a driveby and to be a leader shoot at a cops house in a drive by. Very quick way for the local PD to target them and target them hard. I believe the other PD in the area did the same thing my hometown did and that was just basically endless harass them. Very effective.

21. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Sounds as though the policy was informed by the broken windows theory—hotly debated theory but largely credited with Giuliani's success in 'sanitizing' new york city. The theory holds that small crimes, vandalism and urban disorder act to 'set the stage' for worse crime.

22. 63dot, May 21, 2011

63dot

Giuliani was credited with making the Italian mafia go from a large organized crime industry down to the level of a Taliban (unorganized and scattered), and while it may have been him, few mention that descendants of mobsters found a better living going legit.

While I am repelled by most republicans (I am Green party), I can actually see myself voting for Giuliani. I know he has some police state points of view but no different than Obama's nation building, but on the practical side he could get rid of posse comitatus (which does not affect certain special forces units) and have the much larger, more well armed regular army clean up the streets. Some argue that would make the USA become North Korea, but there are so many things that make us different that we are not in danger of becoming a dictatorship (even though W seemed to act like it).

The best use of our army is for the defense of the USA, not attacking other countries on false pretenses or for their oil/opium/resources. When not in use in an active defense from an attacker, the army could be used for law enforcement. Right now, only the Coast Guard has that duality and they are simply too small.

23. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

well only known gang members were targeted that heavily but it worked and fairly quickly wiped the gang out. Who wants to be part of a gang were you can not get away with anything. Go 1 mile over the limit be hauled off to jail.

24. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Sounds like smart police work.

Identify the group which is actually causing the problem and target them. So much of police work seems to be focused on combating "crimes" which aren't actually hurting anyone.

A good boost of intelligence and logic into police work in this country would be a nice thing.

25. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Ah, but smart-ass lawyers would scream "Profiling"!!!!

Meh. Sherif Joe could use a change of scenery.