Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

upsmobile-150x153.jpg

UPS has updated its iPhone app with two new features that make it easier to discover tracking numbers and follow shipments. The first, called scan-to-track, uses the iPhone's built-in camera to "capture the tracking information from a shipping label or UPS InfoNotice". The new auto-detect feature looks for a UPS tracking number on the iPhone's clipboard whenever the app is opened.
What's new

- Scan to Track: Use your smart phone's barcode reader to scan package
tracking numbers to obtain updated information
- Tracking Number Automatic Population: the UPS app will automatically search
for tracking numbers saved on your smart phone and download them into the
UPS app for immediate tracking.
UPS Mobile is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: UPS Mobile App Adds Barcode Scanning For Easier Package Tracking

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why is this news? Barcode scanning is nothing new...

Agent OrangeZ

macrumors 68040
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
I prefer using the "Deliveries" app from Junecloud. It syncs and backs up your deliveries online. There is also a Deliveries widget for OSX.

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Yes, but does it really deserve to be on macrumors?

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This is awesome! I just got a package, but as I was holding it I thought... where the heck am I?? So I scanned the barcode, and got the delivery address. Turns out, I was home all along! :eek:

(I’ll probably appreciate it more for scanning those sticky notes from failed attempts.)

gorjan

macrumors 6502
May 16, 2009
CPH
I use "Posted", it's great and also has most currier and regular postal services from around the globe. :D

reden

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006

Yes, but does it really deserve to be on macrumors?

Maybe you don't deserve to be on MacRumors. It's like this is your website or something, and you designed, built and pay for it. I'll get you a "I survived the aftermath of the MacRumors article on UPS Mobile App Adds Barcode Scanning" T-shirt.

nylonsteel

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2010
re original article

ups needs an app to gps map where my driver is with my expected package

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
re original article

ups needs an app to gps map where my driver is with my expected package

Doubt that will ever happen for security reasons. I can see a number of issues with this.

They do allow you to specify a 2 hour window for delivery with UPS MyChoice now. I think there's a fee for it ($5, maybe?)...I signed up as a premium member so it's free; I'm not sure what the regular price is.

bacaramac

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2007

surf2snow1 said:
Darth.Titan said:
Can you imagine how expensive shipping would be if you had to pay for a GPS transmitter for every package you send?

Let's be realistic.

Gps for the driver, not the package.

They already have this I'm sure, just for internal purposes I bet. It will never be given to consumers. Maybe flight status tracker since you can't get to the plane, but not for trucks.

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
They already have this I'm sure, just for internal purposes I bet. It will ever be given to consumers. Maybe flight status tracker since you can't get to the plane, but not for trucks.

They do have this on most of their trucks already, but yes, it's only for internal use. Their new scanners also record the GPS coordinates of where the package is dropped in case there is an issue down the road. As for flight tracking, it's very easy to match up the tracking entries with flights by going to Flight Aware, if you really have a burning desire to watch your package fly across the country (assuming it's Air). No way to track the truck trailers or trains if it's going by ground, at least from a consumer perspective.

Eddloggg

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012

They already have this I'm sure, just for internal purposes I bet. It will never be given to consumers. Maybe flight status tracker since you can't get to the plane, but not for trucks.

As a UPS driver, of course they track every move, to package placement at the moment we scan for delivery. However, if the customer could understand that they are not alone in wanting their package, it would make our life a bit easier.

ChristIsLORD

macrumors member
Jul 29, 2011
If I have the parcel in my hand to scan, do I really need to track it?

This is awesome! I just got a package, but as I was holding it I thought... where the heck am I?? So I scanned the barcode, and got the delivery address. Turns out, I was home all along! :eek:

(I’ll probably appreciate it more for scanning those sticky notes from failed attempts.)

I know I'll appreciate the ability when sending a package from a UPS Store, being able to scan my receipt and have the app pop in the tracking number rather than squinting to type in long as hell 1Z numbers manually.

(That's what the app is for, dummies)

Sardonick007

macrumors regular
May 18, 2011
Relax

Eventually, all the idiots that make negative comments about posts not being "news" or not being "new" will get their wish and the posters will stop creating anything. This is a public forum for a large demographic, not just yours. Some people enjoy reading things they didn't know, and some, like me, enjoy reading alternative comments to the actual post and thereby learning something new along the way. What a waste of bandwidth to bash an article for being "so 20 seconds ago".

MTShipp

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2009
Raleigh, North Carolina
...Their new scanners also record the GPS coordinates of where the package is dropped in case there is an issue down the road.

Those new scanners must not be available where I live because they have no idea where the driver dropped off two of my Amazon boxes when they did not show up on delivery day.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Exactly, I probably won't download this app, but I think it's a good idea. I enjoying knowing this feature is available on the app, just in case I need it some day.

Eventually, all the idiots that make negative comments about posts not being "news" or not being "new" will get their wish and the posters will stop creating anything. This is a public forum for a large demographic, not just yours. Some people enjoy reading things they didn't know, and some, like me, enjoy reading alternative comments to the actual post and thereby learning something new along the way. What a waste of bandwidth to bash an article for being "so 20 seconds ago".

rnizlek

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2004
Washington, DC
Those new scanners must not be available where I live because they have no idea where the driver dropped off two of my Amazon boxes when they did not show up on delivery day.

Yeah, my area doesn't have them either. They started rolling them out in 2011, I believe. I don't work for UPS, I just do a decent amount of shipping with them, so I'm not sure what percentage of the country has them.

el-John-o

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2010
Missouri

ericrwalker said:
Exactly, I probably won't download this app, but I think it's a good idea. I enjoying knowing this feature is available on the app, just in case I need it some day.

I agree. I love MacRumors but it's a huge pet peeve when I see all these "THIS ISN'T NEWS!!!!!" comments. You don't have to read it, comment on it, or even visit here. I like that macrumors has a nice variety of frequent information. Finally, this isn't on the front page, and Macrumors NOT a news media organization, it's a blog of tidbit information and unconfirmed RUMORS!

I, for one, really like the app update news and stuff like that. I've gotten several apps that I've enjoyed that I didn't know existed until MR published them!

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
If I have the parcel in my hand to scan, do I really need to track it?

First, this doesn't take away any tracking abilities you had before (e.g., by tracking number).

But second and more importantly, you don't need the parcel to scan--this is also found on InfoNotices (for missed deliveries), or if you're sending a package, you can scan it then (this might also be on the receipt, IDK).

The biggest news to me is that UPS has an app. They're the carrier Amazon (Prime) usually uses for two-day delivery for me, and I've always found UPS's website to be a mess.

Irock619

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2011
San Francisco, CA

If Mac rumors puts it on their site then yes, it deserves to be on the site.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.