Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

incasethermosnap.jpg

Incase has introduced a new version of its popular Snap Case made with a heat-activated thermochromatic finish. The $35 pink Thermo Snap Case changes color when held, like heat-activated t-shirts from the 80's.

xtrememac.jpg

Incase may be the most recent case-maker to release a color-changing case, but they are far from the only one. XtremeMac offers the $30 Tuffwrap Shift that has a similar design to the Snap Case, but is available in a wider variety of color schemes: blue/white; pink/white; purple/blue; grey/white; green/white; and orange/yellow.

backplate.jpg

Finally, RF Laserworks offers a $12 heat sensitive iPhone 4 backing that's .005" thick, meaning it's designed to fit under a bumper or other case.

Thermochromatic cases don't quite work like the XtremeMac press photograph above, showing off fine details and fingerprints. However, they can bring something a little different to the iPhone case world.

All the cases mentioned are compatible with both the iPhone 4 and the 4S.

Article Link: Thermochromatic iPhone Cases Have a Different Look

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Either that's a massive iPhone or a tiny hand making the finger prints on the pictures with the purple and pink cases.

Mr Coffee

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2012
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Not as good as the color changing coffee lid www.smartlid.com

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
OMG Hypercolor.

Now that's a throwback. I was one of those kids who just wasn't cool, and I remember begging my parents to let me have a Hypercolor T-shirt. I wore it so proudly to school. And I loved when girls came up and breathed on it to try it out.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Wow. Flashback.
In the mid 80's you could buy t-shirts that changed color according the level of heat contacting the fabric. Kind of like an interactive tye dye. My dad bought one. It was pretty weird. I think he wore it twice. It sure was fun to mess around with it when he brought it home, though.
Edit:
Haha, notjustjay beat me to it.

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Now that's a throwback. I was one of those kids who just wasn't cool, and I remember begging my parents to let me have a Hypercolor T-shirt. I wore it so proudly to school. And I loved when girls came up and breathed on it to try it out.

American Apparel just made a remake of that shirt. It works well but under regular use it's not that obvious and it's usually just your armpits that will change color which is not that cool. :p

http://store.americanapparel.net/rsa647grw.html

wm6405

macrumors member
Jul 8, 2009
Woah, what that's really ironic. I was literally sitting there looking at my RF laserworks heat sensitive backing that I came in last night when I refreshed the page and saw this...I'm a little confused with mine. Last night it would respond to me touching it and change colors almost immediately, and then later it was constant glowing different colors while my phone was warm from using it so much, and today I can't really even get it to change colors without keeping my hand on it for like 30 seconds

Anyone else having these results?

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
[/COLOR]

I still have mine. It still works. It still looks creepy. Girls were never interested in me in it, just the shirt, but I did get lucky once but I had to keep it on. :eek:

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
When I first saw the headline, I read "thermonuclear"!!:eek:

I know the case is da bomb, but really...:D

I know haha I did the same! I wasn't even apart of the Cold War era either! :O ;)

I still have mine. It still works. It still looks creepy. Girls were never interested in me in it, just the shirt, but I did get lucky once but I had to keep it on. :eek:
Lmao...that's just a great post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.