Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
https://slickdeals.net/coupons/sprint/

I can say that this works.

First, you must be on a family plan AND be receiving a corporate discount.

Basically what they are doing is no longer including the "first phone free" on family plans.

So before you were charged $129 and your discount was on $129. Now they are charging $110 and an additional $19 for the first line. Sounds the same right? WRONG. Discounts ONLY apply to plans, not add on phones.

This was the opportunity to bail that I was looking for. Data is non existent here in the Triad area of NC.

Hope this helps folks that are stuck with iPhones that just don't work in their area.

Last edited:

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Everyone on Sprint is happy? Must be just this area...

...either that or they're not part of the incredibly specialized group of both getting a corp discount and under a family plan or, more than likely, if they found that Sprint wasn't up to par for them, they already left within the two week trial period.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Sprint here but not wanting to get out of my contract just yet. Going to wait until the next iPhone comes out then I will be going to AT&T with there new data offerings. But sprint isn't too bad where I'm at.

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Sprint here but not wanting to get out of my contract just yet. Going to wait until the next iPhone comes out then I will be going to AT&T with there new data offerings. But sprint isn't too bad where I'm at.

Verizon here I come!

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Just so you know, if your service where you live is terrible you can keep calling to complaing. It may take a dozen or more calls, but eventually they will offer to let you free of your contract without an ETF.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
I'm on sprint and have a corp discount. Saw the slickdeals post a while ago but no matter how i look at it its still cheaper than any other providers except tmo.

It comes out to be around $5 a month for me. I was thinking of trying simple mobile but need to get a test phone for a month and give it a try to see how coverage and service is in my area. If it works then I might switch but its too much hassle since my perfectly capable sprint 4s is artificially locked to CDMA coverage in USA

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Shrug, my Sprint 4S is just fine here. Pretty good thing too because I am on pace to use 4 gigs this month. My plan is about $15 cheaper than AT&T and I get more voice minutes and unlimited data.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Shrug, my Sprint 4S is just fine here. Pretty good thing too because I am on pace to use 4 gigs this month. My plan is about $15 cheaper than AT&T and I get more voice minutes and unlimited data.

Same. My 4S is fine too.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
I'm on sprint and have a corp discount. Saw the slickdeals post a while ago but no matter how i look at it its still cheaper than any other providers except tmo.

It comes out to be around $5 a month for me. I was thinking of trying simple mobile but need to get a test phone for a month and give it a try to see how coverage and service is in my area. If it works then I might switch but its too much hassle since my perfectly capable sprint 4s is artificially locked to CDMA coverage in USA

It is cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Here in this area data almost never works. Every time I have called, it was due to a tower outage... Ummm since October?

If it works for you great, in my case they would only cancel 2 of the lines (out of 5) and wanted to charge me ETF's on the rest despite it being a family plan.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
It is cheaper, but you get what you pay for. Here in this area data almost never works. Every time I have called, it was due to a tower outage... Ummm since October?

If it works for you great, in my case they would only cancel 2 of the lines (out of 5) and wanted to charge me ETF's on the rest despite it being a family plan.

You never know what the service will be like until you try. So go ahead and try T-Mobile. As a few of us have said, Sprint is fine for us. If it's not fine for you, shop around.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

AT&T works better here and with corp discount will be a wash after selling sprint iPhones. Think it's going to be a while before sprint is usable around here.

kalex

macrumors 65816
Oct 1, 2007
Then give att a try. Sprint works fine in my area. its not fast but its usable and service price is good. They also unlocked my 4s which won't happen on att unless i pay full price for unlocked phone.

pilot1226

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
USA
Then give att a try. Sprint works fine in my area. its not fast but its usable and service price is good. They also unlocked my 4s which won't happen on att unless i pay full price for unlocked phone.

Careful at the meaning of that. Sprint (and other carriers) will unlock the SIM for International use; none of the carriers will unlock the phone for DOMESTIC use.

The only way you can truly get an unlocked phone (at the time I'm posting this) is to buy the full unsubsidized priced iPhone which will only work over GSM networks, meaning in the USA: AT&T or T-Mobile. Note: T-Mobile has a considerably lower monthly price point than AT&T but at this time they only run off of "EDGE" network, which is kind of like 2.5G. T-Mobile has been restructuring several nodes in the southwestern USA to take advantage of the bandwidth for 3G / 4G HSPA+ technologies, but this is hit or miss and the service won't be guaranteed.

So, you could probably have the cheapest plan by going to T-Mobile, but your data speeds will suffer a bit. Last I looked, with the value plan, you can have a monthly payment of around $100 before taxes for 2 lines with unlimited text, talk, and data (throttled after 2GB usage). This is compared to Sprint, where I'm paying around $145 for 2 lines with 1500 shared minutes (free nights/weekends/mobile-to-any-mobile), unlimited text and data.

For me personally the difference in price wasn't enough to switch because the contract price on a new iPhone 4S is $200, so your total phone cost is $400; the savings of $50 over the course of 24 months is $1200. Which is more or less the difference in the price of the phone via contract or not. I'd rather stick with service I know works than gamble with another carrier that might not.

Total Cost on Sprint over 24 months, including phone cost: $3880
Total Cost on T-Mobile over 24 months, including phone cost: $3800

Because US carriers typically don't give you a better price for your service if you bring your own phone, there's really no reason NOT to upgrade every 2 years. Even if you upgrade and then immediately sell the phone via third-party like Gazelle, you can usually end up making money. Last I checked, Gazelle would pay me close to $300 for a Sprint iPhone 4S 16GB and it only costs $199 to upgrade. So, if you were happy with your phone and didn't want an upgrade, might as well use the upgrade, sell it to Gazelle, then reactivate your own phone and make $100 bucks.

IXDoubleDXI

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2011
Central Florida
No problems on Sprint for me. I've been on a family plan since 2009 with a Corp discount (10%). Just checked my bill online due in Feb and i'm getting the $13.00 disc. on my $129.99 plan, same as it was.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
No problems on Sprint for me. I've been on a family plan since 2009 with a Corp discount (10%). Just checked my bill online due in Feb and i'm getting the $13.00 disc. on my $129.99 plan, same as it was.

Wait til next month. It will be $110 + $19.99 so your bill will go up by $5... The $5 is not the reason to jump, the poor service is, and this gives you an out without huge ETF

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
I was with Sprint for just over 13 years and left 2 weeks after the iPhone came out for Sprint. I gladly paid them the ETF to get out because I came out even by selling the 4S.

Now I'm battling with Sprint on for my wife's iPhone. Not looking to pay another $350 ETF because we can't sell the phone for as much to make up for the ETF. But Sprint won't budge on waving the charge.

My wife's phone has lately been getting in the sub-100kbps data speeds with full bars. Last night, while on the phone with Sprint I got 42kbps and 43kbps with full bars.

I kept referring to the Sprint page linked below that states their average advertised data speeds are between 600kbps - Mbps, but the so-called "supervisor" kept telling me the contract doesn't promise a data speed and that technically the data is working. After trying to make them understand that the data speeds are not "usable" they then told me there were tower issues in my area. And so on and so forth... I'm getting heated just writing this post...

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/coverage/support/important_coverage_info_popup.shtml

It's too bad my wife's account doesn't fall into the category the OP's link refers to.

Mikesus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 7, 2011
I was with Sprint for just over 13 years and left 2 weeks after the iPhone came out for Sprint. I gladly paid them the ETF to get out because I came out even by selling the 4S.

Now I'm battling with Sprint on for my wife's iPhone. Not looking to pay another $350 ETF because we can't sell the phone for as much to make up for the ETF. But Sprint won't budge on waving the charge.

My wife's phone has lately been getting in the sub-100kbps data speeds with full bars. Last night, while on the phone with Sprint I got 42kbps and 43kbps with full bars.

I kept referring to the Sprint page linked below that states their average advertised data speeds are between 600kbps - Mbps, but the so-called "supervisor" kept telling me the contract doesn't promise a data speed and that technically the data is working. After trying to make them understand that the data speeds are not "usable" they then told me there were tower issues in my area. And so on and so forth... I'm getting heated just writing this post...

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/coverage/support/important_coverage_info_popup.shtml

It's too bad my wife's account doesn't fall into the category the OP's link refers to.

If its a 4s, you should be able to get $350 out of it.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Everyone on Sprint is happy? Must be just this area...

My wife and I are happy. We've been with Sprint since 1999. The call quality is great (I can count on one hand the dropped calls I've had, and most of those were from the carrier of the person I called, not Sprint) and we've always had a pretty good plan. Maybe that's because we've always lived in metro areas, but I've just never had issues.

But I've always tried to avoid customer service over the phone if I can. It sucks and no one knows anything. Luckily we live about five minutes from a corporate/repair store so I usually go in person. It's easier to deal with them in person.

We've been waiting for the iPhone on Sprint since it came out. We are a year and a half out of contract. I would have gone for the iPhone 4S, but I was expecting the iPhone 5. So, being out of contract, we'll wait. Out HTC Touch Pros still work and I'm not going anywhere while I still have an unlimited data plan.

The new change won't affect us as we've never had any discounts of any kind so it doesn't change anything for us.

If you have problems you might want to call Retentions. I don't have a number, but if you go to the Sprintusers forums you can find it pretty easily. The Sprintusers forums have a lot of Sprint employees that spend their personal time on the site trying to help. They come from all departments and have always been helpful.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
My wife and I are happy. We've been with Sprint since 1999. The call quality is great (I can count on one hand the dropped calls I've had, and most of those were from the carrier of the person I called, not Sprint) and we've always had a pretty good plan. Maybe that's because we've always lived in metro areas, but I've just never had issues.

But I've always tried to avoid customer service over the phone if I can. It sucks and no one knows anything. Luckily we live about five minutes from a corporate/repair store so I usually go in person. It's easier to deal with them in person.

We've been waiting for the iPhone on Sprint since it came out. We are a year and a half out of contract. I would have gone for the iPhone 4S, but I was expecting the iPhone 5. So, being out of contract, we'll wait. Out HTC Touch Pros still work and I'm not going anywhere while I still have an unlimited data plan.

The new change won't affect us as we've never had any discounts of any kind so it doesn't change anything for us.

If you have problems you might want to call Retentions. I don't have a number, but if you go to the Sprintusers forums you can find it pretty easily. The Sprintusers forums have a lot of Sprint employees that spend their personal time on the site trying to help. They come from all departments and have always been helpful.

Sprint worked wonderfully for me in the 13 years I was with them. I too can't remember more than a few dropped calls on the Sprint network ever. And yes, they have great plan prices. I never had a single bad thing to say about Sprint until my wife and I got the iPhone. But our issues was not with calls, or even signal since we always got almost full signal bars.

We don't have another phone to test on Sprint to isolate that the horrible data speeds we were/are experiencing is due to the iPhone, but the Sprint Community thread linked below shows this has been a long standing issue with Sprint's own userbase.

I personally might have stayed with them if they would have just acknowledged the issue, apologized, and provided some type of credit for the decreased service. But they were just playing dumb and kept making me run around the Apple and Sprint stores to "prove" my experience. And then when I was able to prove the data speeds, they said they would just look into it without any follow up.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78766?start=2250&tstart=0

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Sprint worked wonderfully for me in the 13 years I was with them. I too can't remember more than a few dropped calls on the Sprint network ever. And yes, they have great plan prices. I never had a single bad thing to say about Sprint until my wife and I got the iPhone. But our issues was not with calls, or even signal since we always got almost full signal bars.

We don't have another phone to test on Sprint to isolate that the horrible data speeds we were/are experiencing is due to the iPhone, but the Sprint Community thread linked below shows this has been a long standing issue with Sprint's own userbase.

I personally might have stayed with them if they would have just acknowledged the issue, apologized, and provided some type of credit for the decreased service. But they were just playing dumb and kept making me run around the Apple and Sprint stores to "prove" my experience. And then when I was able to prove the data speeds, they said they would just look into it without any follow up.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/78766?start=2250&tstart=0

Yeah, that's typical of them. I've recieved a lot of BS stories over the phone since 1999. One of the reasons I go see them in person. It's harder (but not impossible) to lie to a customer standing right in front of you. Even then I've gotten denial. They won't ever apologize or acknowledge anything wrong because the CSRs are trained to save Sprint money at the cost of customers. Admitting fault or that something was wrong would ultimately mean some sort of financial loss to Sprint. CSRs that cost Sprint money don't work for Sprint very long. I'm not defending the CSRs, just giving some background.

My understanding of Retentions is that it's a last resort and supposedly the people in that department are empowered to do things that the CSR can't or won't.

I've heard about the data speeds. Unfortunately, our phones are 3G so I'm not yet aware of the speed I've been missing. I'm hoping this gets worked out before we get iPhones though as I really don't like to think about being in your spot.

DesertSilver

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2011
Portland, OR
Yeah, that's typical of them. I've recieved a lot of BS stories over the phone since 1999. One of the reasons I go see them in person. It's harder (but not impossible) to lie to a customer standing right in front of you. Even then I've gotten denial. They won't ever apologize or acknowledge anything wrong because the CSRs are trained to save Sprint money at the cost of customers. Admitting fault or that something was wrong would ultimately mean some sort of financial loss to Sprint. CSRs that cost Sprint money don't work for Sprint very long. I'm not defending the CSRs, just giving some background.

My understanding of Retentions is that it's a last resort and supposedly the people in that department are empowered to do things that the CSR can't or won't.

I've heard about the data speeds. Unfortunately, our phones are 3G so I'm not yet aware of the speed I've been missing. I'm hoping this gets worked out before we get iPhones though as I really don't like to think about being in your spot.

I ask for retentions every time I call them. They were the team that actually gave my wife a $15 credit back in Nov after complained. $15 didn't sound reasonable but the rep stated that was the "data" portion (sure...) of the Everything Plan. But they're not looking to give any credits anymore.

Yesterday, I spoke with 3 reps in retentions on behalf of my wife and was even transferred to a so-called supervisor when I asked for one. The supervisor did a "better job"...as in, she kept talking over me saying that the contract does not state typical data speeds and data was "technically" working and wouldn't let me get in a word.

But anyways, I think I took this thread off topic enough and I could go on for days about this lasting experience I'm having with Sprint after so many great years...

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
Yesterday, I spoke with 3 reps in retentions on behalf of my wife and was even transferred to a so-called supervisor when I asked for one. The supervisor did a "better job"...as in, she kept talking over me saying that the contract does not state typical data speeds and data was "technically" working and wouldn't let me get in a word.

I also spoke to retentions yesterday and the lady for once was very nice, quick and effective. I told I wanted to port out my 3 lines due to the changes on my bill and the poor Internet speeds, she said ok, give me a minute. When she returned to the line, she told me that it should take and hour for the co tract reset to show on their page. I said thank you and hang up, an hour later I was out of contract....

Time to weight my options.. Sprint is not the same Sprint Anymore, they lack consistency, I really hope they pull through or it will be another American company/ jobs that will bite the dust.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.