1333MHz RAM in 2009 MBP (did I just h4x0r my laptop)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ruahrc, Aug 23, 2011.

1. Ruahrc macrumors 65816

Today I got the 8GB RAM upgrade I ordered for my laptop in the mail. Because I am planning on buying a new 2011 mac mini, I purchased over-specced RAM (1333MHz DDR3) instead of what my laptop actually needs (1066MHz DDR3). I double checked the specs of my laptop and it states 1066MHz for the RAM speed.

However, when I installed the memory into my laptop I saw something interesting. The speed of the memory is being reported as 1333MHz?

Does this mean that my laptop is running the memory at the full 1333MHz speed? Seems a little improbable to me but man would that be cool! Or, is it (more likely) that since the RAM is specced at 1333MHz that is just what it tells the computer it wants to run at, and that's what system profiler reads back to you?

Ruahrc

Attached Files:

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

I believe it's running the full 1333MHz, as some of the C2Ds can handle that.

3. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

That is interesting to find out. I have a 3.06 c2d iMac with the ddr3 1066 and I just ordered the 1333 8gb kit for it. Hopefully it reports 1333.

4. derickdub macrumors 6502

I wish I saw this post before. I just recently installed 8GB in my mid-2009 2.53GHz 13", but got 1066 thinking the 1333 wouldn't work. I plan on upgrading next refresh and it would have been nice to just switch the RAM.

Oh well though, I'll probably just get 1600 or 1866 then.

5. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Works fine, dropped 8 gigs of 1333 MHz in my 13" 09 MBP a coupla months ago as well, shows it running at 1333, and no problems till date.

[​IMG]

6. vjicecool macrumors 6502

I saw a very big problem, "kernel panics"
    i had to buy an another pair and had to replace the ram,
    Hope you guys don't have the problem

7. MacBird macrumors 6502

I bought 8 GB from OWC for my late 2008 unibody MBP and it also reports 1333 MHz. It's been running stable without any problems for a few days now.

Attached Files:

8. Funkatronic macrumors 6502

Funkatronic

Looks like I spoke too soon, after getting a bucketload of kernel panics randomly and stuttering (which couldn't be anything else, since I've got an SSD); I decided to buy some 1066 G-Skill RAM (Which says Mac certified).

Things are running much smoother now, and no sign of the kernel panics. So, in hindsight, maybe 1333 RAM wasnt such a good idea after all.

9. JD92 macrumors 6502a

JD92

That's interesting. I accidentally ordered 8GB 1333MHz RAM for my 2009 MacBook Pro and it didn't work. When I hit the power button it would just beep.

Returned it for 1066MHz sticks and they worked fine.

10. ToeCutter macrumors newbie

1333 RAM with C2D MacBooks is a roll of the dice....

I thought I'd chime in here, as I'm looking for hints as to what be causing some recent kernel panics with my 17" MBP 2.8GHz Mid-2009.

I've had it for over a year, running two Intel X25-M's in RAID 0 using an Optibay. Shortly after, I added a pair of Crucial 4GB 1333 SODIMMs. Everything still ran great, even though I came no where near max throughput on the SSD's. Apple's SoftRAID isn't as efficient as the integrated Intel RAID controllers on the PC side (the very same SSD's sustained writes over 150 MB/s on an i7, whereas the MBP could only manage around 85 MB/s). I even updated SSD's FW and did a secure erase (a serious pain, as they have to go into a PC for updates), but no change. Even so, Snow Leopard was rock-solid. I honestly couldn't remember having any kernel panics while using SL.

I digress, however, as immediately upon upgrading to Lion (only after waiting for the point releases to ensure some stability), did I begin to see kernel panics every few hours. I had several while doing a clean install from a USB key. I finally gave in and restored the MBP to the 500GB Toshiba and DVDRW drive that it came with and Lion installed just fine. I've been using Lion for a day or so and everything seemed fine. I was also a mildly irritated to see the Toshiba HDD sustaining writes over 100 MB/s while copying some DMG's to the MBP over 1GBe!

Then this morning, while using iPhoto (and all it's fancy iCloud features), I get my first kernel panic. I was hit again an hour or so later. The only non-Apple parts left in my MBP were the Crucial DIMMs.

So, I've been running each of them through Memtest86+ v4.20 for the last few hours. Even after several passes, no errors. I've even tested them individually, in each slot, and no errors at all.

So, using 1333 RAM in a C2D MBP is really something of a crap shoot. Depending on the quality of the RAM or which version of OS X you use, you might be fine, or, you might not even get your Mac to boot. It seems like another silly Appleism: An issue exists, but Apple's answer is to only use their uber-expensive components for upgrades. My 8GB of paired Crucial RAM was around $50. Apple wants $200 to add it to a new MBP. That's insane!

I'm also left wondering: WTF is going on with Lion? I've never seen so many KP's with any other version of OS X? If Apple release OS X 10.6.9 that includes iCloud support, I'm going back in a heartbeat.