Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Dow Jones Newswires reports that Apple has expressed a willingness to settle some of its patent disputes with manufacturers of Android-based handsets such as Samsung and Motorola, potentially seeking to reduce the burden of ongoing litigation.
The consumer-electronics company has put forth proposals to Motorola Mobility Holdings Inc. (MMI) and Samsung Electronics Co. (005930.SE, SSNHY) to settle some pending litigation in exchange for royalty payments to license its patents, among other terms, [people familiar with the matter] said.

This is not a new tactic; Apple had some discussions with companies such as Samsung before initiating litigation, according to statements made to a court in at least one suit.
apple_android_logos_400.jpg

But Samsung and Motorola are not likely to be willing to agree to such settlements at face value, with Apple reportedly proposing that its competitors pay a $5-15 licensing fee to Apple for each Android handset sold.
Apple, of Cupertino, Calif., has asked for between $5 and $15 per handset for some of its patents in one negotiation, or roughly 1% to 2.5% of net sales per device, another person familiar with the matter said. Motorola, for its part, has been criticized for asking for 2.5% of net sales per device for its wireless patents from Apple.
The report notes that any settlements would appear to go against Steve Jobs' desires, as he expressed in his biography that he wished "destroy Android" even if it required "every penny" of Apple's cash hoard. Apple's cash position and domination of mobile phone industry revenues also mean that the company has less of a need to settle for royalty payments from its competitors.

Apple's competitors are of course pursuing their own actions against the company, which each side hoping to use leverage from their lawsuits to gain more favorable terms in any settlement talks.

Article Link: Apple Proposing Settlements in Android Device Patent Disputes, Would Reap $5-15 Per Android Device

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Thats a pretty ridiculous ask from Apple there. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they want them to reject it.

This is pathetic.

(I know, I know...down-vote me if it makes you feel big and special...it really hurts.)

Yay...28 people love me :rolleyes:

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I think I should hear my doorbell, answer my door, and a local fandroid here will hand me the $15 in cash. This is the most fair solution.

ArcaneDevice

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2003
outside the crazy house, NC
This is just a tit for tat maneuver by Apple.

If Moto wants to charge 2.5% then Apple wants 2.5%

This is actually funny .

And then Android will want something from Apple for use of the notification center and it will all work out that everyone will be owning parts of each others company and the technology world will coalesce into one giant mass which will unite under the Skynet banner and kill humanity.

Or lawyers will just get even richer. Whichever.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
And then Android will want something from Apple for use of the notification center and it will all work out that everyone will be owning parts of each others company and the technology world will coalesce into one giant mass which will unite under the Skynet banner and kill humanity.

That'll be the next lawsuit we'll see. Notification Center that is...not a Skynet lawsuit :p

I'd actually have to support Android from that front as its VERY obvious that Notification Center is a copy of the Android notification center.

(Note to fans: Seriously...look at the two instead of down voting for once and see it, its as plane as the nose on your face.)

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
That seems like a awful lot per device, but it would be nice to put all this stuff behind and move on and innovate.
Wouldn't "putting all this stuff behind" us require a substantial reworking of patent law? Otherwise what is to prevent the next round of patent infringement lawsuits and counter-suits all over again each time we move to a new "standard?"

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

That'll be the next lawsuit we'll see. Notification Center that is...not a Skynet lawsuit :p

I'd actually have to support Android from that front as its VERY obvious that Notification Center is a copy of the Android notification center.

(Note to fans: Seriously...look at the two instead of down voting for once and see it, its as plane as the nose on your face.)

Unless the iOS notification center violates a patent, what exactly would Google be suing over? Copying ideas isn't necessarily against the law.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
This is just a tit for tat maneuver by Apple.

If Moto wants to charge 2.5% then Apple wants 2.5%

This is actually funny .

Which is why cross-licensing under FRAND is much preferred. By the time you get done with your payments, you've paid 15 different people and been paid by 15 others to where you're breaking even. All you're doing is employing accountants at that point.

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
I know I'm going to get severely down ranked for this, but the Android battle seemed to be SJ's personal war. He lost to MS and didn't want to lose again in the mobile space and felt betrayed by Eric Schmidt. Fair enough.

But he's gone and it's time to move forward. Make a deal for $5/handset or whatever and get back to the business of innovating. Consumers are ultimately the ones that lose in these patent battles. Look at Google Maps...hasn't been updated on the iPhone since 2008.
I can certainly appreciate defending your work especially if you feel it's been pilfered by another company. I'm hopeful Tim Cook is a little more willing to talk to Google and settle this once and for all.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Wouldn't "putting all this stuff behind" us require a substantial reworking of patent law? Otherwise what is to prevent the next round of patent infringement lawsuits and counter-suits all over again each time we move to a new "standard?"

Without a doubt, yes.

Stridder44

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2003
California
Hah, they're just going back and forth. "You want this amount? Okay, we want an equal amount from you." Of course it'll be shot down (as it should), but still, this is pretty funny.

(I know, I know...down-vote me if it makes you feel big and special...it really hurts.)

I think people are more enticed to downvote you when you put crap like this at the bottom of all your posts.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Unless the iOS notification center violates a patent, what exactly would Google be suing over? Copying ideas isn't necessarily against the law.

Last time I checked it most likely will violate a patent...
http://androidandme.com/2012/02/news/googles-notification-bar-patent-could-spell-trouble-for-apple/

The problem? It's still awaiting to be issued from 2009. Once its issued (currently no reason why it wouldn't be) then they will have a case.

If it's determined Apple copied it, they deserve to get taken to court. Thats exactly what everyone here has been saying about android after all...or does it not work both ways. :rolleyes:

----------

For the record, I think people are more enticed to downvote you when you put crap like this at the bottom of all your posts.

Meh, if they are sad enough to do that then thats their call.

----------

I don't think so at all. I think Android is more than 2.5% stolen from Apple, especially when you look at what Android looked like before Apple unveiled the iPhone.

Still drilling that rubbish even though in a number of threads here it's been proven to be complete crap?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Which is why cross-licensing under FRAND is much preferred. By the time you get done with your payments, you've paid 15 different people and been paid by 15 others to where you're breaking even. All you're doing is employing accountants at that point.

That was kind of my point :)

And Apple's I believe.

"Fair" being the operative word here.

bob_hearn

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2004
Vancouver, BC
The report notes that any settlements would appear to go against Steve Jobs' desires, as he expressed in his biography that he wished "destroy Android" even if it required "every penny" of Apple's cash hoard. Apple's cash position and domination of mobile phone industry revenues also mean that the company has less of a need to settle for royalty payments from its competitors.

That's not necessarily true. Yes, Apple doesn't need the cash, but forcing these payments does hurt Android, and discourage handset makers from producing Android devices.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Last time I checked it most likely will violate a patent...
http://androidandme.com/2012/02/news/googles-notification-bar-patent-could-spell-trouble-for-apple/

The problem? It's still awaiting to be issued from 2009. Once its issued (currently no reason why it wouldn't be) then they will have a case.

You should check again. Actually, try reading the the patent instead of just looking at the illustrations on an android fan site.

You may find iOS's notification doesn't work as that patent describes...

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Meh, if they are sad enough to do that then thats their call.

No, I didn't downvote you because you passively mocked those who might disagree with you. I downvoted you because your earlier comment seemed to have no insight or perspective into the ways these legal proceedings work:
Thats a pretty ridiculous ask from Apple there. Wouldn't be at all surprised if they want them to reject it.

This is pathetic.

This is not "ridiculous" of Apple to ask. It's standard business practice. MS gets patent royalties from Samsung. Motorola gets royalties from MS. Dolby from RIM.

You don't need to like the practice, but don't act all high and mighty like Apple is petty or pathetic to use this business strategy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.