Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iMore reports that Apple is "currently targeting" an October launch for a smaller iPad, with the device carrying a display of roughly 7 inches and being priced in the $200-$250 range.
According to our source, which has proven reliable in the past, the reason for such aggressive pricing is to do to the tablet market what Apple did to the MP3 market in 2004 with the expansion of the iPod product line -- leave absolutely no space for competitors.
Interestingly, the report's source claims that the 7-inch iPad will be "identical in every way" to the current iPad with the exception of the display size, apparently including a Retina display. That would give the smaller iPad a pixel density roughly identical to that of the iPhone 4S.

It remains unclear how Apple would be able to meet a $200-$250 price point for the smaller iPad given the apparent specs, although the device will reportedly come with only 8 GB of storage. Still Apple's current iPod touch starts at $199 and this smaller iPad will undoubtedly carry significantly higher component costs.

iPad-Mini-comparison-t.jpg
Mockup of 7.85-inch "iPad mini" next to iPad 2 (courtesy of CiccareseDesign)
Reports of a smaller iPad have been circulating ever since the launch of the original iPad, enhanced in recent months by perceived competition from Amazon's $199 Kindle Fire. The sheer number of rumors suggest that Apple has at least been working on such a device, and reports of a planned launch for later this year have been increasing. Most observers have, however, believed that the device would carry a non-Retina display in order to allow Apple to meet lower pricing targets.

iMore has been rather accurate with its recent iOS device rumors, correctly pinpointing the third-generation iPad launch event date back in February and backing claims of LTE compatibility for the device ahead of its launch.

The site has since offered claims of a smaller dock connector for the next-generation iPhone, an idea which has been gaining traction with other rumors. The site has also issued claims of a fall (likely October) launch of an LTE iPhone anticipated to carry the same 3.5-inch display size seen in all iPhone models to date.

Article Link: 7-Inch iPad with Retina Display Coming in October Priced at $200-$250?

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Still have my doubts
I can't see Apple pricing at that point
And while there may be a market, it doesn't really make sense to compete against itself

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
8GB of storage is a mistake with the size of these retina iPad apps.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Interesting. Competition wouldn't know what to do if Apple came out with this. I guess everyone's goal would be second place.

gglockner

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2007
Bellevue, WA
No way. They would have to seriously drop the price of the iPod Touch.

My guess is that an updated iPod Touch is coming in October at this price point.

kcamfork

Suspended
Oct 7, 2011
I call their bluff. Apple wouldn't be happy with such slim profit margins. And I'm sure people would be happy to pay $299 for a 7 inch iPad 2.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Apple changing their strategy to become a loss leader in a market that they already dominate? Seems legit...

tumblr_m0jz3novys1r8ffrs.jpg

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
7.85 inch iPad? Maybe. 7.85 inch iPad with any resolution other than 1024x768? Not going to happen. Especially for 200-250 dollars. They'd really have to drop the price of the iPod Touch for anyone to keep buying it. I know its a different 'category', but who would pick up an iPod Touch for the same price as an iPad which is arguably more useful?

CBJammin103

macrumors regular
Jun 6, 2007
Louisiana, United States
Apple has been known to pinpoint leaks by giving false information about projects to certain groups or individuals. Sounds like this is what is going on to me...

Smaller iPad so soon when the newest iPad is just coming out in many countries? At a smaller size with magically cheaper components? And WHAT space for competitors? I've never seen a Kindle Fire in the wild before. :confused:

Last edited:

Hastings101

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2010
K
That would be nice, I passed up on the current iPad line because after trying it I found (in my opinion) it's too large and heavy for me to comfortably use and hold for more than a few minutes. Too difficult to play games on as well. Tried Temple Run on my friend's and it was ridiculously awkward.

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
If they would come out with such an iPad at such a price, Apple will easily win the market. I don't see how anyone would be able to compete with that. However, it does kind of seem like an unApple move (the price). If they would bring a 7" iPad to the market, I expect more of a 350$ price point.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
If true..at that price the amount they would sell would be phenomenal.
I see people all over the world wanting them.

Although I do think 8GB is to small, should be 16GB minimum.

iamjohnellis

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2012
"That would give the smaller iPad a pixel density roughly identical to that of the iPhone 4S."

Roughly identical, you say? Hmmm.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Here's my prediction: the iPod Touch will be refreshed this fall and will have a bigger screen size.

iScott428

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2011
Orlando, FL
Interesting. Competition wouldn't know what to do if Apple came out with this. I guess everyone's goal would be second place.

Everyone else's goal is to be second place.

I think all of these 7" iPad rumors could be a remote for the Apple TV...I know that is a huge stretch and 7" I think is a bit big for a remote control, but that's just my 2 pennies.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
This wouldn't be the first time an industry leader takes on a low-end strategy to avoid low-cost disruption. It's why Intel released the celeron chip.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.