Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ASCI) today released its latest rankings of customer satisfaction in the United States for mobile phones and a number of products and services, with the new mobile phone rankings being expanded to include Apple, Research in Motion, LG, and HTC for the first time.

asci_mobile_phones_2012.jpg

In its first appearance in the rankings, Apple easily topped the list with a score of 83, outdistancing Nokia, LG, and HTC in a tie for second place at 75. Apple's performance marks the first time a mobile phone company scored above 77 in any of the group's surveys dating back to 2004.
For many users, the advent of smartphone technology has dramatically changed what they look for in a cell phone device. Two smartphones makers, Apple and Research in Motion (RIM), enter the ACSI with very different results. At 83, Apple (iPhone) leads the field by a long shot, while RIM (Blackberry) lags behind as the least satisfying at 69. [...]

At 83, Apple's iPhone is a game changer when it comes to customer satisfaction. No other cell phone company has ever broken into the 80s. Apple's nearest competitors this year are three companies tied at 75: Nokia (+3%) and ACSI newcomers LG and HTC.
Apple has routinely topped ACSI surveys for personal computers, and with its new inclusion in the mobile phone category it is now leading that market as well.

On the carrier front, AT&T experienced a significant jump in customer satisfaction this year as other carriers saw drops, significantly tightened the field. Among the four major carriers, Sprint led with a score of 71, followed by Verizon at 70 and T-Mobile and AT&T at 69. All of those major carriers were beat out by the "All Others" category, which garnered a score of 76.

Article Link: iPhone a 'Game Changer' for Customer Satisfaction

jrlcopy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2007
I don't know anyone with an iPhone that doesn't like it so this makes sense.

And those that didn't like it got rid of it and picked up another phone... But probably now are starting to miss it and planning on coming back with revision 5... possibly... ha

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
And those that didn't like it got rid of it and picked up another phone... But probably now are starting to miss it and planning on coming back with revision 5... possibly... ha

Really? Is that theory the same with other phones? I see people all the time with other phones that hate them and get frustrated using them.

Why is Samsung the largest Android smartphone maker ranks so low?

Because they make a huge amount of phones that mostly consist of *****. The amount of phones one makes doesn't increase their customer satisfaction.

RIM (Blackberry) lags behind as the least satisfying at 69

Life really begins to suck for you, when you become known to be the least satisfying at 69.....

;)

----------

Because they make a huge amount of phones that mostly consist of *****. The amount of phones one makes doesn't increase their customer satisfaction.

well... also the highest (aside from Apple) is only at 75. I doubt there is a whole lot of measurable difference between 71 and 75, which is why most of the companies jump up and down between the years. There isn't really much significant change in the company every year.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I don't know anyone with an iPhone that makes sense, which is why I don't like it.

I don't know anyone with an iPhone that doesn't like it so this makes sense.

While I don't agree with andrewheard, I gotta admit that was a pretty funny way to twist jpmcnown's words.

----------

The American Customer Satisfaction Index (ASCI) today released its latest rankings of customer satisfaction in the United States for mobile phones and a number of products and services, with the new mobile phone rankings being expanded to include Apple, Research in Motion, LG, and HTC for the first time.

They've been doing this ranking since 2004 and this is the first time they've included RIM, Apple, HTC, and LG? I'm guessing this is not the best of customer satisfaction surveys. All of those players have been in the mobile phone business for quite a while. Heck, back in 2006/2007/2008, RIM was the leader in the mobile phone space.

tzeshan

macrumors regular
Dec 12, 2009
Really? Is that theory the same with other phones? I see people all the time with other phones that hate them and get frustrated using them.

Well, compared to previous years Samsung saw a huge drop in 2012 even as it sells more smartphones than previous years.

dBeats

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2011
Samsung will soon learn the difference between "New Name, New Account" and "Account Renewals."

Let me take a note of that....dammit where did that stylus go?!? Crap it must have been ripped out while I tried to take this enormous piece of crap out of my pocket. Is that a rip in my jeans?!? Dammit this giant phone SUCKS. :eek:

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007

Because Samsung copies a lot from apple except the things that make an iPhone a superior experience. Android people buy it thinking they are getting an iPhone without having.to sell out to their contrarian friends and they pay the price.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Also, many Android owners love their clone a lot more than they would if they'd ever owned an iPhone. That skews Android's satisfaction rates higher.

Put another way, among people who have owned both iPhone and Android, is there a trend towards preferring one over the other? I'm sure there's a strong trend towards preferring the iPhone.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
"AT&T experienced a significant jump in customer satisfaction this year..." except for this: Elderly Couple Dies After AT&T Drops Nine Calls for Help
Sensationalistic journalism combined with readers that fall for it, equals the spreading of information so twisted it's laughable.

People who expect any cell phone (it's just a wireless radio) to function like a wired landline, are sadly out of touch.

It's a good thing facts are irrelevant.

----------

Also, many Android owners love their clone a lot more than they would if they'd ever owned an iPhone. That skews Android's satisfaction rates higher.

Put another way, among people who have owned both iPhone and Android, is there a trend towards preferring one over the other? I'm sure there's a strong trend towards preferring the iPhone.

I've had every iPhone on one line & several Android phones on the second line I maintain. They are both excellent phones, each with their strengths. As long as they're available I will always use iOS & Android. Nothing beats choices & variety.

dasmb

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2007

Well, for one thing, all the manufacturers but Apple sell a full range of products, including models designed for low cost. These phones are often underpowered and make for an inferior experience, which is going to drag down the average even if the Galaxy S is a pretty good telephone.

Apple instead sells older models to the low price crowd. You're still getting a diminished experience, but you benefit from the efforts that made the older phone a hit. Sort of like getting last year's Lexus instead of this year's Kia.

The other carriers also build a LOT of models. Each one therefore gets considerably less R&D budget than the iPhone. Granted, the OS is more or less free, but there's still a significant gap that will lead to less cohesive designs with less innovation and less time for QA.

There's also the matter of the apple store. I can't think of anybody who would rather suffer the buffoons at Radio Shack, BestBuy or the carriers' stores rather than the frequently crowded but well run Apple Stores. I recently upgraded to the 4S and waited longer being ignored at AT&T then my entire purchase and restore at the AS. Even with three times the clientele.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.