Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that it has more details on the next-generation iPhone, receiving some information from a source with access to a prototype of the device and other data from a build of iOS 6 said to be targeting the forthcoming device. Among the highlights:

- Details in the iOS 6 beta indicate that the next-generation iPhone will run an application processor identified as S5L8950X. That processor initially showed up in iOS 5.1 betas alongside the S5L8945X that arrived in the form of the A5X in the current iPad. But while the assumption had been that the S5L8950X would be released to the public as part of an A6 system-on-a-chip, today's report indicates that it is still internally being referred to as part of the A5 family.

- On the graphics side, Imagination Technologies is once again said to be supplying the chip, which is currently being referred to as SGX543RC*. The identifier seems to be a code name given that it does not correlate with any official variants of the SGX543 platform. Imagination Technologies introduced the multi-core SGX543 design in early 2009, with Apple using the dual-core SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S while stepping up to the quad-core SGX543MP4 to drive the Retina display on the current iPad.

- The iOS 6 build is running on a Darwin kernel version of 13.0.0, above the 11.x.x used in OS X Lion and iOS 5 and even the 12.0.0 version seen in OS X Mountain Lion.

- Following up on spy shots of the iOS 6 Maps app that appeared earlier this week, today's report offers another such shot, although the design is said to still be subject to tweaking.

ios_6_maps_iphone.jpg

Article Link: Next-Generation iPhone Said to Use S5L8950X Application Processor, Unknown SGX543 Graphics Variant

thepixelforest

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Am I the only one?

that thinks the design of the back is insanely ugly? What's with the strip of metal along the back that abruptly cuts off the glass? Its awkward.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Darwin kernel 13.0.0 is very interesting considering the news yesterday that there would be a new O/S for the Apple TV.

Will the Apple TV O/S run the same kernel ?

That and a brand new kernel means new API's.

commander.data

macrumors 65816
Nov 10, 2006
- On the graphics side, Imagination Technologies is once again said to be supplying the chip, which is currently being referred to as SGX543RC*. The identifier seems to be a code name given that it does not correlate with any official variants of the SGX543 platform. Imagination Technologies introduced the multi-core SGX543 design in early 2009, with Apple using the dual-core SGX543MP2 in the iPad 2 and iPhone 4S while stepping up to the quad-core SGX543MP4 to drive the Retina display on the current iPad.
I wonder if Apple is going with a custom variation of the SGX543MP like Sony did? Given the difference in number of pixels, a quad core MP4 isn't really necessarily, so perhaps a high-clock speed SGX543MP2+ with dedicated VRAM? Besides gaming, dedicated VRAM would be useful if Apple finally introduces OpenCL with iOS 6.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
Darwin 13? o_O

----------

I wonder if Apple is going with a custom variation of the SGX543MP like Sony did? Given the difference in number of pixels, a quad core MP4 isn't really necessarily, so perhaps a high-clock speed SGX543MP2+ with dedicated VRAM? Besides gaming, dedicated VRAM would be useful if Apple finally introduces OpenCL with iOS 6.

Honestly, There's nothing I want more than dedicated VRAM.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I like the new look for the maps app (if it is real), it's a nice change from the glossy blue.

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
that thinks the design of the back is insanely ugly? What's with the strip of metal along the back that abruptly cuts off the glass? Its awkward.

I love the look of the next iPhone (if it actually ends up looking like that). I really dig the white version. In the past, I've been partial to the black iPhones; however, the white looks much cleaner and more masculine now.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
As to the the design of the new hardware I have to agree, it is awkward.
9to5macblackandwhite.png

Still, It looks pretty nice I have to say, and I think the design will 'make more sense' when seen in person or higher resolution. The only awkward part is the top where the cameras are. I have a feeling that the iPhone 5 will present that 'premium' feeling and look. For now though, just use your hand to cover the very top and it is a flawless phone 8)

And for the hardcore haters on the design, it could be an early design version.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
9to5 also stated pretty conclusively that the screen is 1136x640, unfortunately. For whatever reason, it looks like Apple's changing to 16:9, which makes absolutely no sense.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
The guy at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru said the same thing to me this morning. About the same track record, and reliability as these sites; 50/50.

deftdrummer

macrumors regular
Feb 1, 2008
San Diego
As to the the design of the new hardware I have to agree, it is awkward.

Still, It looks pretty nice I have to say, and I think the design will 'make more sense' when seen in person or higher resolution. The only awkward part is the top where the cameras are. I have a feeling that the iPhone 5 will present that 'premium' feeling and look. For now though, just use your hand to cover the very top and it is a flawless phone 8)

I don't know if I'd go as far as flawless but it is somewhat clean. Notice the antenna is blacked out on the black model. I think it'd be pretty cool if it ends up looking that way.

Not so sure about the strip.

Back on topic though, if this processor uses VRAM and is beefed up, combined with a higher resolution display and better speakers (stereo anyone?) this phone will have gamers and media consumers crapping their collective pants. Oh and the relocated headphones port - icing on the cake.

They will sell bajillions.

CarlosTheJackl

macrumors newbie
Mar 22, 2012
AND in my opinion from this pic
iphone_5_rear_shell_white_1.jpg

It looks like that weird middle section actually is due to a wrapper of some kind maybe. By the Apple logo it looks like it's bubbled there, thats also ignoring the incorrect font

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The guy at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru said the same thing to me this morning. About the same track record, and reliability as these sites; 50/50.

My local Starbucks Barista claims the real iPhone with be available in (RED), black and white. It will have a 5" screen and will replace the Mac Pro.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
It looks like that weird middle section actually is due to a wrapper of some kind maybe. By the Apple logo it looks like it's bubbled there, thats also ignoring the incorrect font

wrapper covers the whole back though... look at the very top there is still the bubble up there but a different color... not saying that it couldn't be a 2nd piece of plastic to protect the engraving or something along those lines.

Simplicated

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2008
Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

The font for iPhone looks suspicious. And the speaker grills (refer to a few news articles back) make it even less convincing.

But judging from this picture, it looks pretty sexy. I've always wished the iPhone had a more metallic look.

HelveticaNeue

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2010
Am I the only one that thinks this new Maps app will suck?

Likely not. I am apprehensive about it since I use Streetview and Traffic information from Google Maps all the time and I fear losing this. However, worse case scenario, I either bookmark Google Maps website on the home screen or Google may release a standalone Map app.

I certainly am going to give Apple's Map app a chance though and not just assume it's going to suck without seeing and using it.

Waxhead138

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2012
Maybe. I'm guessing Apple is in "doubledown mode" right now and is leaking a bunch of false info.

I was thinking something like that. It seems as though a ton of info has leaked in a very short period of time, especially when you take into account how far we probably are from launch (I'm one of those thinking Octerber or so.) If apple isn't leaking info purposely, my bet is 9to5 is getting the majority of this from the same source...who if in fact is sourcing from the production line....isn't too keen on keeping their identity safe for long. Way too much info way to quick. Normally leaks of this "magnitude" come closer to launch, and then not normally so many in less than a week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.