Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage5.png

Apple today released MainStage 2.2.2 [Mac App Store], an update to the company's software for bringing virtual instruments and effects to live performances. According to the full release notes, the update addresses 14 different issues, with the company highlighting the following:
The MainStage 2.2.2 update addresses overall stability and performance issues including:

o Addresses a stability issue that could cause MainStage to quit unexpectedly on OS X 10.7.4
o Fixes an issue that prevented the I/O plug-in from outputting audio
o Resolves an issue related to the download and installation of basic and additional content
MainStage is a 302 MB download from the Mac App Store and is priced at $29.99, although the 2.2.2 update is of course free for current MainStage 2.2 users. Formerly a component of the Logic Studio suite, Apple moved MainStage (and Logic Pro) to the Mac App Store last December.

Article Link: Apple Releases MainStage 2.2.2 via Mac App Store

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
I hope the update will be available for those of us with the boxed version as well. I doesn't seem like a big request.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
I hope the update will be available for those of us with the boxed version as well. I doesn't seem like a big request.
You'd have to go through the process of redeeming a Mac App Store copy of the app from your boxed copy. I'm not sure if they support it for MainStage, but I do know it is supported for the preinstalled iLife suite, for example. When you try to run the Mac App Store app and check the updates tab, it prompts you to do the described above.

DocStone

macrumors regular
Nov 27, 2006
Republic of Texas
You'd have to go through the process of redeeming a Mac App Store copy of the app from your boxed copy. I'm not sure if they support it for MainStage, but I do know it is supported for the preinstalled iLife suite, for example. When you try to run the Mac App Store app and check the updates tab, it prompts you to do the described above.

Shurcool, how exactly do you do that. Would appreciate a link on the process. Thanks in advance.

fretdevil

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Logic Studio Redemption

I wish Apple would just let us go to a secure site, type in the serial number of our "High Priced" boxed product and give us redemption codes for Logic and Mainstage.

We will wind up waiting just like we did for Logic 9.1.7 and Mainstage 2.1.3.
We paid twice what App Store purchasers paid for the same software and get substandard support.

This continues to tick me off!

----------

You will have to wait and you should not have to!

----------

You will have to wait and you should not have to!

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
I wish Apple would just let us go to a secure site, type in the serial number of our "High Priced" boxed product and give us redemption codes for Logic and Mainstage.

We paid twice what App Store purchasers paid for the same software and get substandard support.

Me too!

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Shurcool, how exactly do you do that. Would appreciate a link on the process. Thanks in advance.
Just open Mac App Store and go to purchases tab. You should see it there if it's supported.

Here's how it looks like for iLife:

imagewx.png

hamean

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2010
Hopefully more stable

I've had some stability issues in osx Lion on multiple machines running mainstage. Hopefully, this update will settle these issues. It's never good to run a live program on stage with stability issues.

fretdevil

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Just open Mac App Store and go to purchases tab. You should see it there if it's supported.

Here's how it looks like for iLife:

This functionality does not work for any "Pro Apps".
I am sure it could work in a similar fashion. Apple has chosen to alienate existing retail box purchasers.

The folks at Apple used to bend over backwards to properly support pro users.
No Mas!
iPad sales are number one.

NY Guitarist

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2011
This functionality does not work for any "Pro Apps".
I am sure it could work in a similar fashion. Apple has chosen to alienate existing retail box purchasers.

The folks at Apple used to bend over backwards to properly support pro users.
No Mas!
iPad sales are number one.

Correct... It does NOT work for the more expensive boxed version of Logic Pro/Mainstage.

And sadly I agree that Apple has made mass-consumers their number one priority. I understand why, because that's where mass sales are to be made. The problem is that they want ALL of their customers to be part of their consumer business model. In order to accomplish that goal, everything needs to be dumbed-down to fit that model, including Pro-Apps.

Apple wants to force everyone they do business with to use the App Store.

fretdevil

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
San Diego
Correct... It does NOT work for the more expensive boxed version of Logic Pro/Mainstage.

And sadly I agree that Apple has made mass-consumers their number one priority. I understand why, because that's where mass sales are to be made. The problem is that they want ALL of their customers to be part of their consumer business model. In order to accomplish that goal, everything needs to be dumbed-down to fit that model, including Pro-Apps.

It's a pity this situation does not get more attention. Us creative types were the backbone of Apples survival. (Not meant to diminish Steve's role)

As America was once exceptional...

So goes Apple...

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
The problem is that they want ALL of their customers to be part of their consumer business model. In order to accomplish that goal, everything needs to be dumbed-down to fit that model, including Pro-Apps.

I don't get why everything needs to be dumbed-down?

What is wrong with buying Apps from MAS? I think it's a superior forward-looking solution. It eliminates the need for physical things that can get lost, damaged, and take up space, require a drive with moving parts just to read an optical disk.

Compare that to the convenience of having all your MAS apps reinstallable with the click of a single button on any of your Macs.

Why would an app have to dumbed-down to appear in MAS? I don't think so.

The problem here is with legacy support, not pro support.

You might be upset about them making the decision to make version 2.2 a non-free upgrade (just like 2.0 was over 1.0), and I hear you, but that's where you should be putting the blame - not anything else.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

This is one of my biggest gripes too as the APP store has rolled out. Why not type the serial number into the app store and have it added to your account.

sailnc

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2010
Agreed - wasn't it enough that we paid $500 for the boxed Logic Studio set? Now, to get what amounts to a minor update and a collection of bug fixes, we have to purchase it from the App Store. I know 30 bucks isn't gonna break me but it sure has an effect on how I perceive Apple!

Anuba

macrumors 68040
Feb 9, 2005
What is wrong with buying Apps from MAS? I think it's a superior forward-looking solution. It eliminates the need for physical things that can get lost, damaged, and take up space, require a drive with moving parts just to read an optical disk.
Buying stuff from MAS is great, I love it. It's just that I can't buy stuff for my firm from there, because the receipts they send out here in Europe are worthless... they don't specify VAT (in fact, they make a point of not doing so by writing "This is not a VAT notice" at the bottom of each receipt). If I take those receipts to my accountant he'll shrug and tell me that the tax authority would reject them utterly. So the store is for consumers only until they fix that. I've bought some minor stuff like the Mountain Lion update and paid out of my own pocket, but I'm not gonna do that with $X,XXX stuff like Logic Studio. Should they ever adapt the App Store for small businesses I will be first in line, but right now, all they offer small business customers is a big fat middle finger in the air.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.