Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

wwdc_2012_apple-150x196.jpg

With Apple appearing to have a full slate of announcements lined up for its Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) keynote on Monday, we're offering this roundup to summarize a number of the high-profile rumors that have been circulating ahead of the event.

Apple has already announced that it will be previewing iOS 6 and OS X Mountain Lion at the event, and with Apple also expected to introduce a number of new Macs and perhaps make some additional announcements, the schedule appears to be packed.

iOS 6

Apple is not keeping it secret that iOS 6 will be a major component of WWDC 2012, with banners featuring the unannounced version of iOS having already been hung at the site of the conference. While we expect Apple will detail the many new features of iOS, the biggest new feature will be Apple's own mapping solution, which has been reported by multiple sources. Apple has been dependent on Google for mapping and navigation since the iPhone's original launch, but over the past several years Apple has made moves and acquisitions in an attempt to build its own solution. Here is a list of rumored features for the latest version of iOS:

- Apple's own Mapping Solution
- Facebook Integration
- Siri for iPad
- Developer usage tracking tools
- iCloud Safari Tabs/VIP Mail Highlighting/Do Not Disturb mode
- Baidu search option in China

OS X Mountain Lion

overview_preview.png

OS X Mountain Lion is another known product that Apple will be discussing at the conference. Apple previously announced the new version of OS X back in February. The features included Notification Center, Messages, Reminders, Game Center, and Airplay. We've since seen hints at several other new features that Apple may also be including in OS X:

- Automatic App Downloads
- Password Generation in Safari
- Offline reading list / Voice Dictation

iCloud

The third banner that is being prominently displayed in the Moscone lobby is one for iCloud. Apple CEO Tim Cook has said that iCloud is a strategy for the next decade. Due to a slip-up by Apple, we've already seen some of the new features that Apple is planning to bring to iCloud in iOS 6:

- New web apps (Notes, Reminders)
- Enhanced photo sharing / Photo Stream for videos

MacBook Airs, MacBook Pros, Mac Pros, iMacs and Retina

Due to a leaked inventory list, we know that Apple is shipping a dozen new Mac models to their retail stores, although the exact breakdown is somewhat open to how you interpret the part numbers and prices. At the least, it seems we'll see new MacBook Airs, Mac Pros and MacBook Pros. Depending on your interpretation, we may also see iMacs.

macsx.jpg

Meanwhile, Retina-class displays on Apple's new Macs has been an ongoing rumor that's even been corroborated by Bloomberg. Apple has already built in Retina-display support in OS X, and many expect them to release the corresponding hardware this week.

- Dozen New Mac Models Coming
- Apple to Release Thinner Retina MacBook Pros at WWDC
- New MacBook line with Retina Display
- Retina coming to iMac too?
- Anti-reflective glass for iMac?

Apple TV

Apple has been rumored to be bringing a television set to market late this year or early next year, and there have been rumblings that the company may take its first steps toward that goal at WWDC with an unveiling of the operating system that will power the TV. Additional claims have suggested that Apple will be introducing an SDK to open up the current Apple TV set-top box to third-party developers. Those apps would naturally also be compatible with the television set should it come to fruition. We should note that all these Apple TV claims come from a single uncorroborated source, and may not happen next week.

iPhone

A number of parts claimed to be for the next-generation iPhone have already begun leaking from Apple's supply chain, with the highest-profile leak so far being a hands-on video showing the back cover of the device. Apple is unlikely to introduce new iPhone hardware at WWDC, however, with most observers believing that the company will stick to the September/October timeframe seen last year with the iPhone 4S.

Live Keynote Coverage

The WWDC 2012 Keynote kicks off at 10am Pacific on Monday, June 11th. We will be providing live text and photo coverage here. We will also be issuing Twitter updates through our @MacRumorsLive account. Separate news stories regarding the event announcements will go out through our @MacRumors account.

Article Link: WWDC 2012 Rumor Roundup: iOS 6, Mountain Lion, iCloud, and Macs

Last edited by a moderator:

Reach9

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2010
In America
Sure sounds like it is going to be one busy WWDC!

quite the opposite. This WWDC doesn't look like it'll be that big of a deal.

iOS 6 will not be a major overhaul of the UI, a lot of people will be disappointed.

Just like Lion, Mountain Lion will be a lot of regurgitation of the features mentioned before, with none or very few new features for the final release.. just like Lion.

new Macs. This is where the main party will be, looking forward to slimmer versions.

Also, isn't this year's WWDC presentation supposed to be shorter than the usual ones? I thought i read that somewhere, correct me if i'm wrong.

just my thoughts. Still looking forward to all of the above mentioned!

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Agreed, sounds almost like too much to present at one keynote. Apple may in fact hold back a few of these things to prolong their time in the limelight.

The last two seem unlikely. (apple tv, iphone)
The first three are definite to be discussed (ios 6, os x, icloud)

So that leaves the Macs, which seems like it'll happen. Not sure how much time they would devote in the keynote to it.

arn

Ted Witcher

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003
Okay, fine, Notes. I'll take it. But I just want the storage that was available under MobileMe to continue. I'm in the Apple ecosystem -- it makes no sense that I have my off-site storage needs taken care of by Amazon and two other companies. Not after Apple just opens a brand-new massive data center.

zbarsky

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2007
The rumors are way out of control. There are too many things predicted which will not appear that will lead to much disappointment. Lower your expectations.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North

So that leaves the Macs, which seems like it'll happen. Not sure how much time they would devote in the keynote to it.

arn
That sounds about right.

----------

The rumors are way out of control. There are too many things predicted which will not appear that will lead to much disappointment. Lower your expectations.
I share your concern. The more excited people get, and the more extensive and fantastic the rumors, the more certain it is that what Apple announces, no matter how good it is, will fall short of expectations.

Matthew Yohe

macrumors 68020
Oct 12, 2006

Honestly, very little is known about iOS, and Mountain Lion will certainly have some surprises as well.

funman895

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2008
Ann Arbor, MI

arn

I know on Twitter you seem excited for new Mac Pros; do you think they'll be redesigned or just upgraded internally with Ivy Bridge?

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
Can someone please confirm something for me? During the WWDC, the only time apple would announce a new anything is during the initial keynote, right? For example, if a new is for the rumoured TV isn't announced during the keynote, it won't be announced at all throughout the WWDC?

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
I know on Twitter you seem excited for new Mac Pros; do you think they'll be redesigned or just upgraded internally with Ivy Bridge?

Really, no clue. Seems like they would redesign it, but it also seems like an awful lot of effort for a machine they don't seem to care about that much. There were some rumors it would see a redesign, so there's that to hold onto.

Can someone please confirm something for me? During the WWDC, the only time apple would announce a new anything is during the initial keynote, right? For example, if a new is for the rumoured TV isn't announced during the keynote, it won't be announced at all throughout the WWDC?

Pretty much. Definitely for the TV. If you don't hear about it monday, it's not coming at WWDC.

arn

d0vr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I share your concern. The more excited people get, and the more extensive and fantastic the rumors, the more certain it is that what Apple announces, no matter how good it is, will fall short of expectations.

I'm actually already expecting to be disappointed by iOS 6. I would like to believe that iOS 6 has a redesigned UI and that Apples map solution will be better than Googles whilst working across the world. But I'm not placing bets their.

The only thing I'm really hoping to hear is new, thinner MBP.

And thanks @arn, the tv was just an example, but you answered my question!

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida

arn

I will be so depressed if we don't see new MacBook Pros on Monday! I've been waiting so long!

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
iPhone 5 in iOS 6

I predict that Apple will release a developers version of iOS 6 at WWDC, and it will contain lots of subtle details about the iPhone 5, and we will be able to paint a nice picture of what the iPhone 5 will be like from details in iOS 6.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.