Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

As it has done in some previous years, Apple is again offering free summer camps for kids at its retail stores, focusing on filmmaking using iMovie. Each session of the camp, which is targeted at children ages 8-12, includes two 90-minute weekday workshops where students will learn about filmmaking and then create their films in iMovie using footage shot themselves. The session concludes with an optional Saturday morning film festival in which participants can screen their films for friends and family.

apple_camp_2012.jpg

At Apple Camp, kids ages 8-12 learn how to shoot their own footage, create an original song in GarageBand on an iPad, and put it all together in iMovie on a Mac. This free workshop, held at Apple Retail Stores, spans three days and ends with campers debuting their masterpieces at the Apple Camp Film Festival. Space is limited and workshops fill up quickly, so sign up now for a super-creative adventure.
The first camp groups begin on July 23, with stores offering as many as 12 separate groups between then and late August to help meet demand. Camps groups are, however, already filling up at some locations, and those interested in participating should move quickly to secure spots at the locations of their choice.

Signups are currently available for programs at Apple retail stores in the United States and Canada. Apple's European, Chinese, and Japanses sites indicate that schedules and signups should be coming soon for summer camps, while Australia will see its camps arrive in September.

Article Link: Apple Announces 2012 Summer Filmmaking Camps for Kids

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
I bet some people are surprised they aren't offering the kids lessons in Final Cut Pro X. :D

AR999

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

As it has done in some previous years, Apple is again offering free summer camps for kids at its retail stores, focusing on filmmaking using iMovie. Each session of the camp, which is targeted at children ages 8-12, includes two 90-minute weekday workshops where students will learn about filmmaking and then create their films in iMovie using footage shot themselves. The session concludes with an optional Saturday morning film festival in which participants can screen their films for friends and family.

The first camp groups begin on July 23, with stores offering as many as 12 separate groups between then and late August to help meet demand. Camps groups are, however, already filling up at some locations, and those interested in participating should move quickly to secure spots at the locations of their choice.

Signups are currently available for programs at Apple retail stores in the United States and Canada. Apple's European, Chinese, and Japanses sites indicate that schedules and signups should be coming soon for summer camps, while Australia will see its camps arrive in September.

Article Link: Apple Announces 2012 Summer Filmmaking Camps for Kids

The purpose of this is presumably to get the parents to buy a mac for their filmmaker kid.

blumpkin

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2011
This may result in more unemployed, self-proclaimed hipster "filmmakers" uploading trash to Vimeo.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'm still at least 12 years away from having kids that could do this, I imagine, but I'm curious anyways... Are there any parents on the forums that send their kids to these? Any thoughts on it... Impacts on the kid, impacts on you and your spouse?

Is it normal for parents to stick around or do they just drop off the kids, take off for 90 minutes, and return to pick them up?

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
+ kids can have fun and be creative
+ parents buy apple stuff for their movie-maker children

this is win-win, no matter how much evil you could read into it.

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
This may result in more unemployed, self-proclaimed hipster "filmmakers" uploading trash to Vimeo.

Fine by me as long as it's not on YouTube.

Also, I think NigaHiga and Smosh were unprofessional. I mean, their stuff is uploaded in 240p and obviously made in iMovie (as opposed to pro software). So a few guys will end up having great videos. Maybe they'll know not to export in low quality haven taken this class.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Hey, it beats what I saw Apple doing for little kids at MacWorld Expo years ago... letting them play around with Quake III Arena at full gore level!

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
Whoever made that graphic needs to go back to graphic design school. The "apple camp" inside the movie board should be tilted at the same angle as the board "constellation"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.