Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in January, Apple CEO Tim Cook announced to employees that the company would begin a new hardware discount program in June, offering employees $500 off a Mac (excluding the Mac mini) or $250 off an iPad.

In line with that schedule, 9to5Mac reports that the new program has now gone live. As had been previously claimed, the discount is available to employees who have worked at Apple for at least 90 days, can be used once every three years, and can be stacked upon existing 25% employee discounts on hardware.

apple_retail_staff_overhead.jpg

Unfortunately for those Apple employees looking to apply the discount to the new Retina MacBook Pro, the model is not included in the program and is not even available through the employee purchasing portal. This is typical for new Apple products, and with supplies remaining tight for consumers it may be some time before availability loosens up enough for Apple to add it to the employee purchasing program.

The enhanced hardware purchase program comes as Apple's retail store staff has begun seeing salary increases of as much as 25% depending on market and performance. Those raises are set to go into effect in mid-July.

Article Link: Apple Launches Improved Employee Hardware Discount Program for Mac and iPad

C

champ01

"Unfortunately for those Apple employees looking to apply the discount to the new Retina MacBook Pro, the model is not included in the program and is not even available through the employee purchasing portal. This is typical for new Apple products, and with supplies remaining tight for consumers it may be some time before availability loosens up enough for Apple to add it to the employee purchasing program."

Thats just lame.
Apple is nowhere without their employees so everything should be included. :(

Not having enough stock is just BS.

EDIT (because some of you don't understand my point)
I don't mean having low stock is BS. A new product is always low on stock. I mean not including your own employees on new products is BS.
I own a store and would never treat my employees with this capitalistic nonsense. Doesn't Apple earn enough. Tjees!

Last edited by a moderator:

organerito

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2008
Tim Cook is doing very well. I like him much better than the former CEO...
By the way, what was his name?:rolleyes:

Daalseth

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
"Unfortunately for those Apple employees looking to apply the discount to the new Retina MacBook Pro, the model is not included in the program ..."

That's just lame.

No it's completely understandable. I just checked the AppleStore and they are out to 3-4 weeks delivery. That means that they can't keep up with demand. It makes perfect sense they would hold off opening it to Employees for a month or two until the surge passes. The employee discount will still be there.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
Maxed out 13in MBA (2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) = $2199

Apple employee would pay $1149.25 :drool:

EDIT - Just in case people don't understand my math, it's inclusive of the 25% discount and $500 savings.

Last edited:

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
how difficult is it to get a job at an apple retail store?
I went through the interview process to the stage where they offered me the job, but I turned it down in favour of another position in a different company.

I'll say that it's not an easy process (it was three stages), and it was "different" to other interviews I'd been to in the past. On the whole, it was a brilliant experience, and if you have the opportunity; go for it.

jessea

macrumors member
Jul 24, 2009
Cincinnati
Thats just lame.

But Apple is really nowhere without their customers. :)

They're doing the smart move: serve customers first, then serve employees after stock is consistently available.

awer25

macrumors 65816
Apr 30, 2011
Seeking friend. Requirements: Works at Apple and hasn't yet used $500 or 25% discount. PM me if interested ;)

jaysen

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
So if I read this correct; Apple gives employees a 25% hardware discount + $500/$250 ?

So Assuming i Get the basic ipad $399 - 250 - 25% = $111.75 ? I'm going to assume the 25% stacks after the initial $250 off?

If so, that's crazy! Very cool incentive to work for Apple, even if only you can purchase one item every three years...

neo666

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2012

Just like to clarify that it HAS to be used with the 25% or the friends discount, cant be used by its self

ristlin

Mar 29, 2012
So if I read this correct; Apple gives employees a 25% hardware discount + $500/$250 ?

So Assuming i Get the basic ipad $399 - 250 - 25% = $111.75 ? I'm going to assume the 25% stacks after the initial $250 off?

If so, that's crazy! Very cool incentive to work for Apple, even if only you can purchase one item every three years...

1 item every three years isn't so bad. I keep using most of my Apple products at least that long. My first macbook pro lasted 4 years. My iMac is on its way to its second year, and my first iPhone lasted 3-4 years.

Black107

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2009
Unfortunately for those Apple employees looking to apply the discount to the new Retina MacBook Pro, the model is not included in the program and is not even available through the employee purchasing portal.

*sigh*

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
Maxed out 13in MBA (2GHz i7, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSD) = $2199

Apple employee would pay $1149.25 :drool:

No they would pay $1149 on the original price, not the maxed out.

The max out MBA would still be $1650 for employees. Unless they use the $500 they can only use once...

In France, prices are a total rip-off, and I'm waiting for a friend going to the us, or working in an Apple store to get it at the price it should be (the same price as in US stores)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.