Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

aperture.png
Apple has issued a minor update to Aperture, its prosumer photo editing and management application. The 3.3.1 update fixes a minor issue that caused a crash in certain situations:
What's new

o Fixes an issue that in rare cases could cause Aperture to hang or quit unexpectedly when upgrading libraries
The prior update to Aperture enabled users to swap libraries between Aperture and iPhoto with no importing or exporting.

Aperture is available for $79.99 on the Mac App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Aperture Receives Minor Bug Fix Update

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
Mine did this during the upgrade the first time I ran it. Nothing was lost though. And it's been fine ever since. Nice that they are fixing it for the late upgraders though :)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
After the upgrade, my library lost all its edits and several projects were missing all their photos. Luckily, I had 2 more copies of my library, losing only about a month's worth of photos, many of which were still on their SD and CF cards.

Lesson learned.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
After the upgrade, my library lost all its edits and several projects were missing all their photos. Luckily, I had 2 more copies of my library, losing only about a month's worth of photos, many of which were still on their SD and CF cards.

Lesson learned.

Sounds like a job for Time Machine to me.

Seriously, activate it, it's worth it!

I like how you can use multiple drives in ML, so you'll be able to backup more than 3 or 4 TB if you're without a RAID/fully Netalk* compatible NAS.

Glassed Silver:mac

*(of the version required for integrity-awareness during transfers)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Either mine was updated in the last round of Aperture stuff, or it's not yet UK available....Having said that, Aperture is working well at the moment, I'm not in a hurry to install something that might change things again!

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
DOH! I keep forgetting that these updates now come down the App store...There they were...Note to self and sticky on desktops!!!:eek:

Haha mine is still Software Update because I did the old fashioned CD installer method :)

But forgetting won't be easy after Mountain Lion is released. Update notifications and optional automatic download/install of App Store updates. Which is definitely not a bad thing.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009

Lesson learned.

In Aperture use the vaults feature, quick and easy.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
In Aperture use the vaults feature, quick and easy.

The vaults feature was forgotten when Aperture 3 allowed for multiple libraries. Going through all your libraries and updating a vault for each one is tedious. Also, a backup isn't a backup if it's in the same physical location as the computer. If the computer goes (theft, fire, water) then it's likely so will the vault.

I have a backup in my bank safety deposit box. That's what saved me. My backup scheme worked but I have to be more frequent with my backups and go to the bank more often.

Major.Robto

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2012
But forgetting won't be easy after Mountain Lion is released. Update notifications and optional automatic download/install of App Store updates. Which is definitely not a bad thing.

I hope it wont be auto install, I've had things break in a update.

I'm one of the few users who checks what the update updates and changes. 10.6 I found was full of broken updates, whats 10.6 on now? like 10.6.8?
I know Leopard is 10.5, man leopard is old, So use to 10.7 now...

even then I install with a risk because I have no real backup system.

I need to get a external backup for my imac.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
The vaults feature was forgotten when Aperture 3 allowed for multiple libraries. Going through all your libraries and updating a vault for each one is tedious. Also, a backup isn't a backup if it's in the same physical location as the computer. If the computer goes (theft, fire, water) then it's likely so will the vault.

I have a backup in my bank safety deposit box. That's what saved me. My backup scheme worked but I have to be more frequent with my backups and go to the bank more often.

IMO your backup kind of failed as you lost a months work!

With Aperture you should only need to split into multiple libraries if you have a lot of photo's, meaning >tens of thousands. Aperture is designed to handle it, that's its purpose.

Vaults still work when you have multiple libraries, update the vault after using it, before switching to another library, not really that tedious, and quicker than making a copy of the whole library.

Our workflow has vaults and referenced masters backed up on a local external drive that is swapped with an offsite drive. We also back the library and masters up with time machine to a time capsule, so we have two local backups that are up to date within an hour, and one offsite that is never more than a week old, more frequent if a lot of important work has been done.

In your case either of the local backups would have saved you, the offsite really needs to be for disaster recovery!!

CF/SD cards aren't really backup, too easy to accidentally format them!! Copy them to another location on or before import to Aperture. We use the facility within Aperture to copy from the CF to (yet another!) external drive as the files are imported. If you are really concerned, copy them using finder before import to Aperture to prevent any chance of Aperture corrupting them.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
In fact, I do deal with tens of thousands of photos in my libraries. Just this weekend alone I shot over 4,000. Aperture 3.3 seems to deal much better with larger libraries so I'm in the process of consolidating them all into just 2 libraries: Pro and Personal. I'll keep a vault of each.

I was also using Time Machine with my 1TB Time Capsule but that too failed. When I tried to get my stuff back via Time Machine, it just froze every time. Luckily, I was able to look inside the contents of the backup file and copied over the last 3 months that had been lost.

I guess this Aperture library upgrade fail opened my eyes to some holes in my backup regimen that I will attempt to patch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.