13inch MacBook for £179?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ca94, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Ca94 macrumors newbie

Is this a good deal? the laptop is from mid 2007 but it's refurbished & comes with a year warranty, though I've saw 15inch MacBook pros on gumtree for £350-£400 I'm a bit weary of buying from there in case they don't work or have no warranty image.jpeg

2. r6mile macrumors 6502

I guess it's an OK deal, but I wouldn't buy it personally because these early C2D Macbooks can feel quite sluggish. Also, they only allow up to OS X Lion to be installed, so you might run into compatibility issues with some later software.

If you are looking for a C2D Macbook, I would personally only look at unibody machines (the white 2009-2010 models, or the silver ones). They have much better graphics, and also can run the latest OS X El Capitan.

3. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

Generally good advise from the previous post - especially if you may wish to run later software and avoid compatibllity issues.
    Yes, I think its a reasonable deal, as those are fine little machines. Personaly I would prefer it with the previous Tiger OS - whch I love!
    In fact this is being sent from a similar year & spec Macbook, although with 3GB RAM, running (you guessed it) OS 10.6 Tiger.
    And as for OS X El Capitan I wouldn't put it on here even if I was able to. My MBPr is still running 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, and will continue to until there's a law to say I must change! ;)

4. r6mile macrumors 6502

Do you mean 10.6 Snow Leopard? Tiger is 10.4.
    Why would you not upgrade to El Capitan? Do you find it runs slower on these older machines?

5. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

One thing to bear in mind with these systems is that it doesn't have the full trackpad, it's the one-button trackpad which looks really dated and isn't particularly nice to use. See picture below -- it's the black MacBook version to highlight the trackpad.

[​IMG]

Furthermore the Intel GMA graphics are terrible, to put it lightly.