14 Day Return Policy?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by monaarts, Sep 27, 2013.

1. monaarts macrumors 65816

So I ordered my iPhone 5s from Apple.com on Friday, September 20th, and will be getting it today (the 27th). Does anyone know when the 14 day return policy starts with AT&T? I'd imagine the day the phone is received, not ordered. Is this right? Thanks!

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you orderd your phone from Apple, then you're under their 30-day return window (regarding returning the phone).

AFAIK, the only time AT&T would play a role when ordering from Apple is if you also opened a new line of service. In that case, AT&T's 14-day new line cancellation window starts from the day you activate service (which is the day most people receive the phone).

3. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I started new service when I bought the phone from Apple. I called and asked AT&T about it but they didn't know and wanted to keep redirecting me to other people (surprising? No.).

4. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Since you ordered from apple it is a 30 day return policy, and you would return the phone to apple not ATT. I believe they start the 30 days from the day the device ships. As the above poster mentioned, you might want to call ATT though since they have a 14 day window for new service. You could return the phone 20 days later, but still would have that ATT contract.

5. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeah... I tried calling them and was on the phone for almost 30 minutes and was connected to 4 different people because no one knew. Apparently it is different because I ordered from Apple, different because I ordered from Apple.com, different because it was shipped (delayed), different because it is an iPhone 5s (seriously, they brought this up), and different because I am a 11 show size (okay, now I am kidding). :D

6. aneftp macrumors 68040

People need to be very careful with "return policy" Apple vs. ATT/Verizon/Sprint when it involves 2 year contracts (aka, you are paying the $199 price instead of the full $650 price).

1. Pay full price (Apple Store), 30 day return policy no restocking fee

2. Pay subsidized price, you got 14 days to return the device or else you are "locked" into new 2 year contract with ATT/Verizon/Sprint

3. If you pay subsidized phone and want to return it after 14 days, you may be screwed. Cause carriers will not let you have another upgrade. You may "exchange" the iPhone for another phone. But with Apple retail store, you don't have many choices to exchange it for except another iphone.

4. New lines will incur non refundable activation fee after 3 days even if phone is returned

5. Upgraded lines where phone is returned will have your upgrade fee refunded. If they don't, than it's easily correctable by calling customer service.

Bottom line to avoid confusion. If buying under contract, return phone within 14 days to keep it on the safe side. If buying full price, you got 30 days to return it from Apple retail store or online.

7. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm not sure you read my question... "14 days" is clearly AT&T's policy for account cancellation without penalty... What they don't make clear though is WHEN the 14 day policy begins? Is is the day I placed the order (the 20th), the day the phone ships from Apple (the 25th), the day I receive the phone (the 27th), or the day I activate the phone (might not be until tomorrow, the 28th)???

8. aneftp macrumors 68040

Usually counts the day you receive the phone. It's a gray area. ATT will activate the phone for you within 30 days regardless if you want to activate it. It happened to my cousin last year. She got iphone 5. Wasn't sure if you wanted it. Got busy with the kids. Soon enough about 25-30 days pass and ATT had activate the phone they sent her through the mail and deactivated her current sim in her previous iPhone 4S.

9. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Return period would start from when you receive the device as would service cancelation.

10. monaarts thread starter macrumors 65816

So I decided to do a chat with AT&T to get the answer so I can print it and have it for my records incase AT&T tries giving me crap over it... They said Apple activates the phone before shipping it, so my 14 days started from the 25th (the day they shipped it). So stupid.

11. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

I'd log into their website and send an email, not chat. Reference what you were told in chat and ask to have it escalated to someone higher up. That makes no sense.