Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

14-Inch MacBook Pro With Mini-LED Display Expected to Enter Production in 2021

eduke

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
I have a 2016 13” MBP, so I’m in at least a similar situation. It’s slow and isn’t as fast as I’d like but it gets the job done for the work I need to do.

My 2 cents: decide now if you want familiarity/dependability or cutting edge tech. You can’t have both. These new machines are absolutely rock solid, but nothing new beyond the chips (which isn’t a small upgrade). Wait and you’ll likely get a new form factor with new bells and whistles, but as my 2016 Pro can attest: that’s not always a good thing. Apple doesn’t have a great track record with Gen 1 products (just look at the recently announced AirPod Pro replacement program), and I wouldn’t buy a Gen 1 product without at least expecting some hiccups, but that’s also where all the sexy new designs will come in. There’s no right or wrong answer.
Well said, my MBP is laste 2015 so it's about 5 years old. I would 100% wait for 2021 models if it werent for the promotion through my credit card provider offering a 50% increase in the value of my cc points. This literally discounts my Apple order and doesnt take any cash out of my pocket.

However, the question still stands as you pointed out.... Is the M1 chip woth upgrading in Q4 of 2020 or should I wait for a new design in 2021? 🤔

Comment

Beau10

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown San Diego
If it pencils out to something like 30% off, I'd go for it. The speed increase will be insane. Then I'd upgrade to the 2nd gen of the 14 when that comes out maybe 1.5-2 years down the road for minimal loss after resale.

The 14" Mini-LED will be a big upgrade unto itself, but I agree with the poster above.

That said, if the real value of the promotion isn't all that great... keep in mind it's still up in air how these new machines will perform w/ Rosetta II for the vast majority of software not currently available on ARM.

Reactions: eduke
Comment

jerryk

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I'm in the market to upgrade my old MBP 13" to a newer model. My credit card company is running an Apple promo which has some great incentives for Macs purchased by Nov. 15.

Is the new 13" entry level M1 worth grabbing now (discounted) or should I wait for the newer 14" or 16" in 20201?

Cheers!
The just-announced system seems more of a processor swap. The later 14" and 16" will likely have many advances including better screen technology. Plus higher performance. I am hoping to consolidate to 14".

Reactions: eduke
Comment

eduke

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2020
If it pencils out to something like 30% off, I'd go for it. The speed increase will be insane. Then I'd upgrade to the 2nd gen of the 14 when that comes out maybe 1.5-2 years down the road for minimal loss after resale.

The 14" Mini-LED will be a big upgrade unto itself, but I agree with the poster above.

That said, if the real value of the promotion isn't all that great... keep in mind it's still up in air how these new machines will perform w/ Rosetta II for the vast majority of software not currently available on ARM.
It's a difficult decision because I dont know IF or WHEN they will run this promo again. It makes the cash value of my points 50% greater, so $866 of points = $1,300. So almost $500 "discount" if you look at it like that + no cash out of my pocket.

Comment

incoherent_1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2016
Well said, my MBP is laste 2015 so it's about 5 years old. I would 100% wait for 2021 models if it werent for the promotion through my credit card provider offering a 50% increase in the value of my cc points. This literally discounts my Apple order and doesnt take any cash out of my pocket.

However, the question still stands as you pointed out.... Is the M1 chip woth upgrading in Q4 of 2020 or should I wait for a new design in 2021? 🤔
Whatever you decide, hope you love your new Mac! Whether it arrives next week or next year! :)

Comment

IG88

macrumors 6502a
Nov 4, 2016
Apple suppliers will begin competing to win manufacturing orders for new 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with Mini-LED displays in the first quarter of 2021,
Hmm. What would be the expected time frame for release then? Q2 or Q3?

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.